Page 91 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394951011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 20730
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Should I get Power omni? Really liked Alias, very good series. I try hard not to buy Marvel books, they don't deserve my money, but from time to time they publish something different.

So tell me: should I?
    I've been getting the tpb's since Image published them, great characters, solid story arcs, and terrific art!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    It looks like Ghost Rider was hitting the steroids pretty hard about this time. Dianabol anybody?
    Oh come on, he's just big boned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    The point about the cost of Marvel collections is valid, for sure. With the exception of the Epic line Marvel seems to have the least "bang for the buck" of any of the major publishers. Certainly if I didn't get 90% of my Marvel collections for 50% off during first week sales I wouldn't buy any. I realize that Marvel is a publicly traded company but I wonder if any of the stockholders even pay attention to the publishing division. Upgrading the paper stock and binding on the collected editions would probably cost them a small percentage of what they pay Robert Doweny Jrs. 4th assistant dog-walker for one day.
    The profit margin on specialty items like omnibuses is likely so low I'm thankful we're even still getting them. With big corporations it's not always about just making a profit, but whether the profit is significant enough to be worth the time and manpower.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    The profit margin on specialty items like omnibuses is likely so low I'm thankful we're even still getting them. With big corporations it's not always about just making a profit, but whether the profit is significant enough to be worth the time and manpower.
    While I understand this point, it seems that large, omnibus-style books are getting more and more popular with publishers, implying a healthy profit-margin. Think back to 10 years ago - heck, 7 years ago - Marvel was just about the only omnibus game in town (DC was doing their pathetic attempts, resulting in the original Death of Superman toilet paper omnibus), and now look at today: Genuine omnibuses from Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, etc.

The profit-margin is healthy enough to have caused a veritable "big book arms race." We've gone from the original DC slip case collections (Green Lantern / Green Arrow, Deadman), to Absolutes, to omnibuses, to Big Damn / Colossals, to Adamantium collections, to Artist's / Artifact Editions. Honestly, at this rate, we'll be getting Watchmen as a mural on the Great Wall of China by 2025.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My Marvel end of year haul:

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

"How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" was a surprise Christmas present from my sister

That SHIELD cover makes me want that book even though I have zero interest in it. My end of year haul was a combination of stuff I bought myself and a couple of presents. Man Without A Face HC, Road To and Reborn HC's and the last two Brubaker omnibuses. The first still hasn't shown up so I'm waiting impatiently to start. Also got Who Is The Black Panther trade and am waiting for the second BP complete collection. Dates have changed on wordery and speedyhen. Has it been delayed?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

"How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" was a surprise Christmas present from my sister
    That's a childhood favorite from the now defunct Walden bookstores. There's some great John Buscema and Jack Kirby art there!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It's from Marvel Holiday Special 1991 and sadly isn't collected AFAIK
    Late to the party, but let me throw in my $0.02 that anyone who finds a copy of this issue should definitely pick it up. It might just be nostalgia talking, but this issue had way more worthwhile material than your average holiday special. The Art Adams cover alone is gorgeous, natch. The X-Men story features the classic "All-New, All-Different" lineup and is penciled by Dave Cockrum, and takes place right before UXM #98. (It also makes Santa arguably at least slightly responsible for the Dark Phoenix Saga.) The Ghost Rider story has him saving a blind boy who, as seen above, mistakes him for Santa Claus and his motorcycle for hungry reindeer. (Okay, so maybe the kid isn't the brightest bulb.) The Fantastic Four story (written by Walt Simonson, penciled by Art Adams) has Franklin encountering the ghost of Jacob Marley, still imprisoned more than 100 years after "A Christmas Carol." The Thor, Punisher, and Captain Ultra stories are all fine but pretty skippable. But the Captain America story has him finding out Bucky had a sister and visiting her at Christmas to tell her her brother was Bucky, and died a hero. And the Spider-Man story is a semi-sequel to "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man."

All in all, plenty of good stuff. A lot of holiday specials seem to contain nothing but filler material, but for this one, at least, they really made it worth your while.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    That SHIELD cover makes me want that book even though I have zero interest in it. My end of year haul was a combination of stuff I bought myself and a couple of presents. Man Without A Face HC, Road To and Reborn HC's and the last two Brubaker omnibuses. The first still hasn't shown up so I'm waiting impatiently to start. Also got Who Is The Black Panther trade and am waiting for the second BP complete collection. Dates have changed on wordery and speedyhen. Has it been delayed?
    Nope it wasn't delayed, I saw it at the shop the other day on week of release. IST was a week late getting it and mine just got delivered so there may have been some shipping problems. Buy this book people!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Late to the party, but let me throw in my $0.02 that anyone who finds a copy of this issue should definitely pick it up. It might just be nostalgia talking, but this issue had way more worthwhile material than your average holiday special. The Art Adams cover alone is gorgeous, natch. The X-Men story features the classic "All-New, All-Different" lineup and is penciled by Dave Cockrum, and takes place right before UXM #98. (It also makes Santa arguably at least slightly responsible for the Dark Phoenix Saga.) The Ghost Rider story has him saving a blind boy who, as seen above, mistakes him for Santa Claus and his motorcycle for hungry reindeer. (Okay, so maybe the kid isn't the brightest bulb.) The Fantastic Four story (written by Walt Simonson, penciled by Art Adams) has Franklin encountering the ghost of Jacob Marley, still imprisoned more than 100 years after "A Christmas Carol." The Thor, Punisher, and Captain Ultra stories are all fine but pretty skippable. But the Captain America story has him finding out Bucky had a sister and visiting her at Christmas to tell her her brother was Bucky, and died a hero. And the Spider-Man story is a semi-sequel to "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man."

All in all, plenty of good stuff. A lot of holiday specials seem to contain nothing but filler material, but for this one, at least, they really made it worth your while.
    Wow, I think I've just been talked into hunting down this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Get it for $1.35 over at mycomicshop.com!

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Any other OHC-waiters a little bummed that Avengers: Time Runs Out comes out about 4 months after the Secret Wars OHC?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Cheers, hope you enjoy! Think I'm going to have to dig my old copy out of the garage and give it a read today too.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Any other OHC-waiters a little bummed that Avengers: Time Runs Out comes out about 4 months after the Secret Wars OHC?
    Don't worry. I'm sure Secret Wars 9 will be delayed until at least that long.
    Cyclops was right