Page 803 of 865 FirstFirst ... 303703753793799800801802803804805806807813853 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Best place to start Batman is Year One by Frank Miller.

Just know that all Flash series after Johns left are terrible (although some have great art). Waid's run, which came before Johns, also is great and is currently being collected in tpbs.

You don't need to know anything about Green Lantern to enjoy Johns run. In fact, his run got me to actually like Hal Jordan.

I somewhat disagree that you need to read Morrison's run to understand Tomasi's Batman and Robin although I was reading both at the time so maybe you do....haha.

The thing about B&R is it's really a father-son storyline as both characters mature. I think it might very well be one of the best Batman runs ever.

I liked Johns' TT but, I agree, the Beast Boy mini was awful.
    It isn't easy to get a good idea of where to start or not. Sometimes I think that I better let it be and put my focus on the Indies, Vertigo and stand alone runs.

Do I need to read the Dark knight saga from Miller too?

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Ah, also JSA, nice! I didn't go for Black Road. Everytime I read something Wood wrote I get a unsatisfied feeling. Happend with DMZ, The Massive and another one I can't even remember at the moment. I sold everything.
    Thoroughly enjoyed Black Road. It's similar to his Northlanders, which I also loved. That's about all I've read by him - well, almost. Started Demo, but didn't grab me. I also began to read his Conan run, which so far is okay - not great, but also not the train wreck that others think it is.

As to the DC recommendations: sometimes you just have to take the plunge. Identity Crisis + Infinite Crisis are excellent and rewarding reads, which I read myself originally several years ago without having read a non-Vertigo DC title in years. Loved both. And you can always re-read the books of course if after a while you have some wider knowledge of the DC universe.

GL by Johns is also great. If you like Marvel Cosmic (Abnett/Lanning), you'll enjoy this, too. Everything you need to know should is explained at the beginning of vol.1, which starts with "GL: Rebirth" and the return of Hal Jordan as GL.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed Black Road. It's similar to his Northlanders, which I also loved. That's about all I've read by him - well, almost. Started Demo, but didn't grab me. I also began to read his Conan run, which so far is okay - not great, but also not the train wreck that others think it is.
    For me Wood is something I skip for now. Who knows in het future....?

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    As to the DC recommendations: sometimes you just have to take the plunge. Identity Crisis + Infinite Crisis are excellent and rewarding reads, which I read myself originally several years ago without having read a non-Vertigo DC title in years. Loved both. And you can always re-read the books of course if after a while you have some wider knowledge of the DC universe.

GL by Johns is also great. If you like Marvel Cosmic (Abnett/Lanning), you'll enjoy this, too. Everything you need to know should is explained at the beginning of vol.1, which starts with "GL: Rebirth" and the return of Hal Jordan as GL.
    True, sometimes you need to take the plunge. That's why I bought the JSA omnibii.

It isn't easy to get a good idea of where to start or not. Sometimes I think that I better let it be and put my focus on the Indies, Vertigo and stand alone runs.

Do I need to read the Dark knight saga from Miller too?
    You don’t have to but that first four issue series sure is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    You don’t have to but that first four issue series sure is awesome!
    LOL! I think I'll sell a limb or something to pay for all of this

the new Black Science vol. 1 is almost twice as thick as the original. Although there are barely any more pages to it - I feel a little swindled by the solicitation description of the thing supposedly bursting with extras. There are a few more sketches added but that's about it. You still only get the first 11 pages of the script for the first issue for some reason. No annotations or notes or essays or anything.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    Glad I didn't opt for that then. I just stayed with my original edition. Thanks for letting us know it's not that much of an upgrade.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I just ordered Punisher omni, Punisher max omni 1 and Runaways omni. The DC omnibii will have to wait until I've decided what I want.

I just ordered Punisher omni, Punisher max omni 1 and Runaways omni. The DC omnibii will have to wait until I've decided what I want.
    These are all good choices

BANNED

You mean Marvel Knight Punisher by Ennis by Punisher Omni ? if it's, definetly a good choice. I got Punisher Max as well. And thinking about Runaways. I like Brain K. Vougan, Y The Last Man was amazing. For DC Omnibus, i can recommend Gotham Central, great read.

Thanks guys. By Punisher omni I mean the Marvel knights. I like Brian K. Voughan also, Runaways is a blind buy, but everybody here recommended it. Gotham Central is a DC omnibus that I've got and read a couple of years ago. Really good!

Extraordinary Member

I've come away from digitals lately. Much cheaper, but I find the experience of reading 'hands-on' is so much better.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I've come away from digitals lately. Much cheaper, but I find the experience of reading 'hands-on' is so much better.
    I prefer digital for newer stuff, but definitely like print for what I physically collect, which is older stuff. Because I’m old.

Mighty Member

Saw a few collections on Amazon (too lazy to post links)

Paper girls v2

v2 HC of Rat Queens (looks like they're gonna orphan the crap that stalled the first series and start with issues from v2. Good call imo)

Letter 44 HC v2 (hopefully we get the next Sixth Gun soon as well to finish it off)

Waids' Archie is getting a HC collection (doesn't appear to be oversized, could be wrong?)

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:49 AM.