Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's not nitpicky. the character, literally, started over. and he's been quite consistent. it's never "i just love my people." it's "i'm a bad person who enjoys killing. i'm good at it. i need to put this to use. i can do evil to defend and avenge mutankind." that's who Magneto is and has been since Claremont got ahold of him. when he was headmaster of the school it wasn't a reformation. it was him repaying a debt to charles xavier. he struggled the entire time and organically slid back into his terrorist mode. he's never fully a hero. as a Magneto fan, i'm not out here pretending that he's noble or a hero. he doesn't think in those terms. i don't count the pre-Claremont stories because he hadn't been given an origin at that point. he was a stock character/completely 1-dimensional.
    Every character but especially the villains were one dimensional in the early days, for me Magneto simply evolved, Claremont give him consistency and the reason for figthing, in the process it made him one the greates antagonist of all time but the original tale still happen, of course, less loony and less sixties references but the core theme can easily be adapted to modern times. The original brotherhood is still the one with the twins, Mastermind and Toad, plus the retcon of Astra that doesnt affect the original run.

For me isnt hard to imagine Magneto killing for the greater good of Mutankind, even if that victim is a mutant, you perfectly described him as a villain.

The original discussion is how problematic is understanding a character when each run dismiss the previous character development.

For Doom, i dont consider him a better side of Magneto, ultimately he is practical, he will help the heroes if something bigger comes to rule but at the end of the day, his endgame is him as the Earth dictator. Doom War got Doom for me, at least thats how i view him.

I just feel bad for Franklin. No one asked him what he thought except for Kitty. The look of horror on his parents' faces when he hugged his friend made me feel for him.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Wouldn't want Franklin picking up their attitude! He'd probably get the Legacy virus anyway.

No contact with mutants until he's 18. We need more people to think about the children and modify their genetics to change what their bodies can do without them knowing.
    Huh. What kind of shitty dad would fix it so that his emotionally wrought, immature, impulsive and underage son wouldn't be able to run through a magical portal that blocks his parents from entry and leaves him in the company of some of the world's greatest murderers?

I swear every thread just devolves into parent issues. Your parents had the legal right to boss you around, they can't do it anymore, why are you guys dwelling? Even these shots at Franklin's 'privileged' upbringing stinks of envy for intact families. It's a die roll, not every marriage works out, be happy for the ones that do.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I swear every thread just devolves into parent issues. Your parents had the legal right to boss you around, they can't do it anymore, why are you guys dwelling? Even these shots at Franklin's 'privileged' upbringing stinks of envy for intact families. It's a die roll, not every marriage works out, be happy for the ones that do.
    Biiiiig yikes dude.

If you're an X-men fan, ask yourself if they'd accept you into their found family. Or maybe you "won" the dice roll because you're privileged lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    Every character but especially the villains were one dimensional in the early days, for me Magneto simply evolved, Claremont give him consistency and the reason for figthing, in the process it made him one the greates antagonist of all time but the original tale still happen, of course, less loony and less sixties references but the core theme can easily be adapted to modern times. The original brotherhood is still the one with the twins, Mastermind and Toad, plus the retcon of Astra that doesnt affect the original run.

For me isnt hard to imagine Magneto killing for the greater good of Mutankind, even if that victim is a mutant, you perfectly described him as a villain.

The original discussion is how problematic is understanding a character when each run dismiss the previous character development.

For Doom, i dont consider him a better side of Magneto, ultimately he is practical, he will help the heroes if something bigger comes to rule but at the end of the day, his endgame is him as the Earth dictator. Doom War got Doom for me, at least thats how i view him.
    Magneto series written by Bunn. He killed a young mutant girl unable to control her powers because she was too dangerous for his dream of recreating Genosha. That girl unleashed a Nazi monster from the imagination of Magneto, one of them had to die to stop that monster and it wasnt the old man that outlive his time, it was the little girl. That is magneto.

Question on the weird timeline: what ship is Kitty using? Because she got her fancy boat from Emma in issue 3, I believe, and that was after they had their drunken bender with the face tattoos and after Xavier had been assassinated.

Which, again, is the point for the Richards family. Why the hell would you send your high-target son to a place that just had its all-important leader get headshot a few days ago.

Biiiiig yikes dude.

If you're an X-men fan, ask yourself if they'd accept you into their found family. Or maybe you "won" the dice roll because you're privileged lol
    The answer is no, they wouldn't. Not now, at least. If you aren't a mutant they can't even imagine you wanting to go to Krakoa, let alone let you.

Huh. What kind of shitty dad would fix it so that his emotionally wrought, immature, impulsive and underage son wouldn't be able to run through a magical portal that blocks his parents from entry and leaves him in the company of some of the world's greatest murderers?
    I don't think he would have attempted to run through the portal if they spoke to him about it. I completely understand his parents putting their foot down and saying that he absolutely will not live there as the mutants are suggesting, but everyone was speaking/yelling for him and he wanted to get away from it.

Is he immature/impulsive in the FF books much? I don't read them so I'm curious if he's overall a disgruntled teen or pretty chill.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The answer is no, they wouldn't. Not now, at least. If you aren't a mutant they can't even imagine you wanting to go to Krakoa, let alone let you.
    I see you're bitter about this.

I have seen some weird comments on twitter, like Franklin is osme LGBT kid and his family is opressing him.
    They are a family and for now they think he would be better off not in Krakoa, and I don't blame them

BANNED

Biiiiig yikes dude.

I always think the term "found family" is so... cute.

Biiiiig yikes dude.

Storm was a member of the FF alongside Johnny. They considered her fam. She still blew Johnny away with a sneak attack for the high crime of yelling at his blood nephew. A guy who considers her a friend. But apparently now, for Storm, the politics of mutation outweigh friendly bonds and shared experiences and are justification enough to bring violence into a situation she had no business interceding in. "Step away from that mutant, he has diplomatic immunity!"

Storm was a member of the FF alongside Johnny. They considered her fam. She still blew Johnny away with a sneak attack for the high crime of yelling at his blood nephew. A guy who considers her a friend. But apparently now, for Storm, the politics of mutation outweigh friendly bonds and shared experiences and are justification enough to bring violence into a situation she had no business interceding in. "Step away from that mutant, he has diplomatic immunity!"
    The nuclear family will never recover from Storm's wind! We must protect that fragile, but lucky, way of life from the big mean mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I have seen some weird comments on twitter, like Franklin is osme LGBT kid and his family is opressing him.
    They are a family and for now they think he would be better off not in Krakoa, and I don't blame them
    I read that twitter thread and I respect the passion behind it, but that to me was misdirected anger that probably stemmed from some really heavy **** the writer is dealing with in his personal life.

Johnny made the error of putting his open flame self in "Kitten"'s face. Ororo would never let that stand. And he called her a kidnapper. LOL!