Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Never understood why Falcon wasn't named American Eagle anyway. I mean, given the nature of the character, why Falcon?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Never understood why Falcon wasn't named American Eagle anyway. I mean, given the nature of the character, why Falcon?
    Because there already is a character by that name and he is a Navajo. Sam needs his own identity. Not constantly getting slapped with those belonging to others. Disrespectful to the character.

Members of the Bradley family should show up in one of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I'll try both. But Marvel never really gave Sam a proper push as Falcon. If you want these characters to work, you put top notch creative teams on them. Marvel doesn't. Then they wonder why they don't take off.

Another issue is we just had him as Cap 5 years ago. If you want to do it, fine. But do so when Cap 4 is hitting theatres. Plus, apart from United States of Captain America, Steve has pretty much been put on the backburner.

It's the turn around on these sorts of stories that annoys me. Its like an endless round of musical chairs and I am NOT a fan of shared identities. It'll be like me pinching another's person's identity and running around as that person because, well, identities aren't individual. Not at Marvel it seems.
    He had a big number one with a new costume after starring in a huge crossover. That’s as good a push as they could’ve given other than having Bendis or Hickman write the title. And the thing is the book was not bad. It certainly did what a lot of people claim they want, which is have Sam stand on his own and the characterization was spot on (even if I didn’t agree with some of the direction). But even from the first issue numbers the interest is just not there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What left wing scumbags?
    I was wondering this, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What left wing scumbags?
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You think it was conservatives rioting, looting and burning cities across the country?

Baltimore, Seattle, Minneapolis and many other cities across the country were the site of rioting, looting and arson by the radical left.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-21-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Because there already is a character by that name and he is a Navajo. Sam needs his own identity. Not constantly getting slapped with those belonging to others. Disrespectful to the character.
    I don’t see how it’s disrespectful for him to earn the title of his partner who trained him, who he looks up to and respects. Especially when the mantle is a title that can and has been held by others. In fact making someone other than Caps closest partner who’s a seasoned and respected hero in his own right would be disrespectful.

And we’ve seen how much support Sam gets when he’s simply Falcon. It’s not disrespectful to have him take a new established identity that was built off the experience he gained as Falcon anyway.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    You think it was conservatives rioting, looting and burning cities across the country?

Baltimore, Seattle, Minneapolis and many other cities across the country were the site of rioting, looting and arson by the radical left.
    Radical left barely exists in the USA. Rioting and looting are wrong but they're minimal compared to centuries of right-aligned mistreatment of anyone not conforming to the majority. Millions of underpriviliged Americans still aren't being heard or represented so the radical left isn't a threat posed to 'destroy America'. Let's not get dragged into some 'both sides' nonsense. Plus, don't forget the Capitol insurrection last year

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I don’t see how it’s disrespectful for him to earn the title of his partner who trained him, who he looks up to and respects. Especially when the mantle is a title that can and has been held by others. In fact making someone other than Caps closest partner who’s a seasoned and respected hero in his own right would be disrespectful.

And we’ve seen how much support Sam gets when he’s simply Falcon. It’s not disrespectful to have him take a new established identity that was built off the experience he gained as Falcon anyway.
    Idk. I prefer him being Falcon because it's its own id.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

Yea the trump administration had a lot of riots. I don't think I've seen so many riots with other administrations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yea the trump administration had a lot of riots. I don't think I've seen so many riots with other administrations.
    They started under Obama...and were carried out by liberals.

He didn't get much support for his last solo because it sucked. Now Spencer's run prior to that was very good. Falcon doesn't need to be named Captain America. Just like Bucky didn't. Falcon less so. Hire a big time writer like a Brubaker and put a artist on it that sells. Don't hamstring characters that struggle with sub par talent. Also I personally think renaming characters is lazy and proves that the publisher doesn't have confidence in the characters or creative team involved.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Probably those lefties at the US Post Office, maybe Habitat for Humanity, of course the NAACP, and definitely the Red Cross. Seems fair and balanced if we’re going to pick on the proud boys et al, right?46248F61-32D1-4310-AEF4-C003F48415EB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    He didn't get much support for his last solo because it sucked. Now Spencer's run prior to that was very good. Falcon doesn't need to be named Captain America. Just like Bucky didn't. Falcon less so. Hire a big time writer like a Brubaker and put a artist on it that sells. Don't hamstring characters that struggle with sub par talent. Also I personally think renaming characters is lazy and proves that the publisher doesn't have confidence in the characters or creative team involved.
    Brubakers Captain America with Bucky sold gangbusters. The Winter Soldier series that came after sold about half that. Same creative team, just a change in name and the sales went down. Falcon issue one sold what, a third of the books of Sams title as Cap. People didn’t check it out and then we’re turned off, they never came. Sam as Cap under a direction people didn’t like at the time (don’t give me that it’s good stuff now, allllll throughout that run people complained) still sold more than when he got his own series. Now I didn’t love that run but it wasn’t terrible. The characterization was great, it gave Sam stuff to fight other than the usual gangsters and drug dealers and didn’t deal in “identity politics” which is apparently causing the downfall of civiliization. All the stuff people say they want more of right?

You guys act like you don’t know this already, the names matter. People will claim they want one thing but the numbers don’t lie. Falcon being allowed to take on a mantle (again, the cap identity was always a mantle anyway) does not diminish Sam as a character, it doesn’t diminish Falcon as an identity. It’s just a different position, one with the benefit of decades of recognition. And moving forward you can expose a lot of people to Sam Wilson who probably wouldn’t have checked out his solo stuff.

Brubakers Captain America with Bucky sold gangbusters. The Winter Soldier series that came after sold about half that. Same creative team, just a change in name and the sales went down. Falcon issue one sold what, a third of the books of Sams title as Cap. People didn’t check it out and then we’re turned off, they never came. Sam as Cap under a direction people didn’t like at the time (don’t give me that it’s good stuff now, allllll throughout that run people complained) still sold more than when he got his own series. Now I didn’t love that run but it wasn’t terrible. The characterization was great, it gave Sam stuff to fight other than the usual gangsters and drug dealers and didn’t deal in “identity politics” which is apparently causing the downfall of civiliization. All the stuff people say they want more of right?

You guys act like you don’t know this already, the names matter. People will claim they want one thing but the numbers don’t lie. Falcon being allowed to take on a mantle (again, the cap identity was always a mantle anyway) does not diminish Sam as a character, it doesn’t diminish Falcon as an identity. It’s just a different position, one with the benefit of decades of recognition. And moving forward you can expose a lot of people to Sam Wilson who probably wouldn’t have checked out his solo stuff.
    If you look at my past post I praised Spencer's Falcon run. I stated when it was out that Falcon should be called Falcon but the book was very good. I bought it until Spencer turned Cap Nazi. Even after I dropped it I still told people that it was very good. Also lets be honest about his series after Spencer's run. It was god awful with a writer that is the equal.

As far as names mattering. No ****. That's the whole reason we got all the lazy hamfisted mantle swaps. Publisher were and are too lazy to do the leg work and make a character cool so customers are actually interested enough to buy books with those characters in them. Sad to say this but if any character needs another characters mantle so that book can sell then he/she isn't worth publishing.

so will Steve be road tripping on just a motorcycle or will he be in his van, like the Reb Brown telefilms?