Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Rumour

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    A distinction without a difference.

He was never going to go past #105 which is a damn long run on "his own book." Now he's going to #85 and telling the rest in the limited series. And, according to Mitch Gerads, it's 100% in continuity.

As a comic fan that loves Batman more than any other character and that loves King's Batman more than any other Batman, I'm over the moon about this.

Plus, Clay Mann! This is great news for fans of King's Batman.
    But, if King gets 85 issues of Batman, and then his 12-issue Bat/Cat book, that still doesn't add up to 100 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, if King gets 85 issues of Batman, and then his 12-issue Bat/Cat book, that still doesn't add up to 100 issues.
    Eh, the other few issues were probably going to be filler arcs or team-ups with other heroes, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1132038584100196353

Just moving the end of his Batman run to its own comic, turns out. Since it's going monthly this might as well just be the second Batman comic a month instead, I guess.
    I'm guessing that big change he was hyping up either doesn't happen or isn't as big a deal as King was making it out to be, since I don't see something like that happening in a maxi-series.

But at least now King gets to finish his story, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm guessing that big change he was hyping up either doesn't happen or isn't as big a deal as King was making it out to be, since I don't see something like that happening in a maxi-series.

But at least now King gets to finish his story, more or less.
    Technically he did say that the big change was going to happen on issue 85, since he said the final 15 issues would be about exploring said big change, so it is still possible whatever he wanted to happen could happen, we just have to wait until we find out more information.

If you include Annual #1, 2, and 4 (if he writes it), Rebirth #1, Secret Files #1, DC Nation #0, Elmer Fudd, and Detective Comics #1000, that's 100 issues written by King.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A maxi-series fits better in a trade to sell to casual readers. Dick became Batman in Batman & Robin. Barbara got shot in The Killing Joke. The Dark Knight Returns and The Long Halloween are two of the best selling Batman trades. Big stuff doesn't have to be in the main series to happen.

That said, I agree that DC wouldn't do something big in issue, say, 6 of a maxi-series versus being able to put it in a comic with a massive "BATMAN #100" on the cover, which they no longer can with King's run being broken up now.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Technically he did say that the big change was going to happen on issue 85, since he said the final 15 issues would be about exploring said big change, so it is still possible whatever he wanted to happen could happen, we just have to wait until we find out more information.
    Could very well be a wedding that spins off this mini.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Could very well be a wedding that spins off this mini.
    And then for the last issue, the marriage can be annulled . . .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So King will be continuing his story in BATMAN/CATWOMAN?

When do we think Ellis/Hitch will take over? I doubt they'd want to start until all that is over. So I'd imagine it'll be Tynion till #100.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This sounds like a great solution for all involved. King gets to finish his story within the relentless grind of the twice monthly schedule. Bob Harras gets another writer doing Batman who might give lapsed readers more of what they want from the main Batman title.

Glad everything worked out well for the creators and the fans.

Incredible Member

And then for the last issue, the marriage can be annulled . . .
    Or, they could just somehow have to be married in secret or something, but go about their own business still. That way other writers don't have to acknowledge it unless they feel like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This sounds like a great solution for all involved. King gets to finish his story within the relentless grind of the twice monthly schedule. Bob Harras gets another writer doing Batman who might give lapsed readers more of what they want from the main Batman title.

Glad everything worked out well for the creators and the fans.
    Mmm... not really. Not that it will concern the fans too much, but King is likely to take a pretty sizable cut in pay if he is getting moved off of Batman. For work for hire, it doesn't get better than Batman. The artist and writer working on it consecutively should be wealthy.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-24-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Mmm... not really. Not that it will concern the fans too much, but King is likely to take a pretty sizable cut in pay if he is getting moved off of Batman. For work for hire, it doesn't get better than Batman. The artist and writer working on it consecutively should be wealthy.
    I don't think Tom King biggest concern is money. He's got enough Hollywood juice right now that his comics stuff is gravy. As for Clay Mann, I think it says a lot about the him that he's sticking with King, but he isn't going to be hurting for work any time soon, either.

I don't think Tom King biggest concern is money. He's got enough Hollywood juice right now that his comics stuff is gravy. As for Clay Mann, I think it says a lot about the him that he's sticking with King, but he isn't going to be hurting for work any time soon, either.
    If said concern was even on the list, Mister Miracle never would have happened.

BANNED

What does Tom King do with Hollywood? I took a quick look, and it seems to me the biggest thing he has going on is writing Batman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    What does Tom King do with Hollywood? I took a quick look, and it seems to me the biggest thing he has going on is writing Batman comics.
    Currently, he has a movie deal and a pilot that’s very likely getting a greenlight. This is why Williamson did that Batman/Flash crossover a little while ago. King needed a little time for his Hollywood stuff. Granted, it's Hollywood, so there's no guarantees of anything, but even a screenwriter who never gets anything made is making more money than the average comics writer.