View Poll Results: What percent of DC books read do you like?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nearly 100%

11 28.95%
  • 80-90%

12 31.58%
  • 60-70%

4 10.53%
  • 40-50%

5 13.16%
  • 20-30%

1 2.63%
  • Hate nearly everything but maybe 10%

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Nearly 100%, but I only buy Flash and Aquaman.
    List your 5 or 10 favorite volumes of Flash.

3 of your favorite volumes Aquaman

I wanna check out these guys more

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For DC comics?

Hmmmm . . . I bought all three issues of Batman: Three Jokers and felt the 1st issue was interesting, but it went down hill for the other two.

I bought the Rebirth volume of Batgirl until issue #38 but gave up after that.

I was buying Scooby-Doo! Team-Up, but DC ended that with issue #50 back towards the end of 2019.

Other than that, I was buying occasional issues of things like Detective Comics #1000 and #1027 as well as The Flash #750. Those issues were mixed bags of good and mediocre stories, but not good enough to get me to start buying them on a regular basis again.
    Understood, thanks!

I'm trying to think of anything out there that you might have missed and might find interesting (with a Golden Age sensibility perhaps?), but I'm coming up short... :-/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Voted "nearly 100%"

But I drop books I don't enjoy pretty quickly. One or two issues go bad and I drop out of the arc. I'm well past the point where I'm willing to spend money on something I don't enjoy, and the forums here give me an easy way to keep tabs on things so I know when I might want to jump back into a title.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Which characters are your favorite that are missing???
    They're in his signature.

For Flash, the Waid and Johns runs are excellent and the Morrison/Millar interlude was solid. Everything before wasn't bad, but Waid was when it really got going.

For Aquaman, I love the silver age but it's a very acquired taste and of its time. You have to take it warts and all.

Aquaman has been pretty great since New 52 though. You can start with Johns and continue until KSD and only really need to skip the Bunn issues (New 52 volume 7).

Nearly all. But then, I buy only so many trades and graphic novels and such a year, often after reviews or a lot of hype and such so I get a good idea of what I'm in for. I know I'm likely to enjoy it before I read it.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyway!

You should check out Will Pfeifer and John Arcudi's 2004-2006 runs; the latter follows the former without missing a beat and is collectively known as the "Sub-Diego" era. It's collected across 3 TPB's that are out of print, but still available online for decent prices.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're in his signature.

For Flash, the Waid and Johns runs are excellent and the Morrison/Millar interlude was solid. Everything before wasn't bad, but Waid was when it really got going.

For Aquaman, I love the silver age but it's a very acquired taste and of its time. You have to take it warts and all.

Aquaman has been pretty great since New 52 though. You can start with Johns and continue until KSD and only really need to skip the Bunn issues (New 52 volume 7).
    Lol never read signatures! But yes... icic

Yah I own waid volume 1 and johns volume 1.

Waid seemed to old for me and I had to many other books so I never continued... maybe i just need to buy a later volume and work backwards...

Johns grabbed me for sure... then i became distracted with other books... any big events any of his volumes cross over with? I like big complicated stories. I could buy a set of books.

The only major story I've read with aquaman playing a big part was Flashpoint. I'll check out what my used books store has for new 52 aquaman ... im a fan of 52 materials

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyway!

You should check out Will Pfeifer and John Arcudi's 2004-2006 runs; the latter follows the former without missing a beat and is collectively known as the "Sub-Diego" era. It's collected across 3 TPB's that are out of print, but still available online for decent prices.
    Nice! Thank you Ive added to my list. I'll see what my used book store has and go from there.

These might be helpful.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

100%

I don't buy books just keep up with certain characters that's what forum sites and wiki pages are for, if I don't like a book i'm not giving you my money unless it's the first issue. It makes zero sense to me. (If you count books you're just trying out you can knock that score down to 99%)

I don't consider myself a collector so that may be part of why I feel this way.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    100%

I don't buy books just keep up with certain characters that's what forum sites and wiki pages are for, if I don't like a book i'm not giving you my money unless it's the first issue. It makes zero sense to me. (If you count books you're just trying out you can knock that score down to 99%)

I don't consider myself a collector so that may be part of why I feel this way.
    this exactly. I may pick up a story that I'm critical of to support a character I'm invested in but if I'm not enjoying the book more than I'm critical of it I can't justify continuing. I tried that with Doomsday Clock and it just made me more annoyed with the book.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-21-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Currently only reading Far Sector, which I enjoy, and Legion of Super-Heroes, which I have not. So 50%.

(I will never not buy Legion of Super-Heroes, even if I wish it were better. I won't be that guy who complains about it, but then never buys it and gets used as an excuse for why the book failed. If it fails, it ain't my fault!)

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I went with 80-90%.

I generally only follow a small handful of titles from DC at a time so generally I enjoy what I buy. The 10-20% tends to be when a run I was enjoying goes south (Nightwing), a book I like has a weak arc (Red Hood, Superman) or some big book fails to deliver (3 Jokers). Being stateside and having access to DCU to screen runs before buying them generally made it easier to screen out which runs weren’t worth my time.

Search for Mera and Death of a Prince, both stories were ahead of its time.

Almost 100%.

While I follow some characters, I'm dropping titles fast if they aren't to my taste. The one-month wait makes that pretty easy to judge as well because if I forget about a monthly title before it's out again and then feel no excitement when I'm reminded of it, I don't care enough to pick it up once more.

Trades I sometimes get on a whim, but I haven't yet read anything that I consider a waste of money.