Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ah you might be right. People will go watch Black Panther and still hate The BLM.

Last I heard, Mulan movie grossed just under $70 million against a production budget of $200 million. Was it a bad film? Or did it flop due to the COVID pandemic?
    Bad film
    COVID
    Too expensive on Disney+
    Negative press due to Uyghur Muslim/China crisis.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    at least more chinese influence will get us to a sweet bladerunner timeline with that fancy east-meets-west aesthetic (also firefly)
    But this time with an actual Asian population, unlike Firefly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I was walking my dog in my neighborhood where I've lived for almost a decade and a guy, sitting with his friends yelled "No more Chinese" at me for no reason. He back-pedalled when I confronted him, but I know what he felt emboldened to say. Is that a "big" thing? Maybe not, but it ruined my week and I think of it whenever I walk past that spot. And that's not nearly as bad as the stuff that's happened to others.
    I am really sorry that happened to you, man. While I'm not Chinese, I am Asian American. This one night while walking back from my car to my apartment after leaving work there were these two guys walking directly behind me. It was literally the first time I ever thought I could be attacked because of my ethnicity. Nothing happened, but it was kind of an unsettling realization.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-20-2021 at 08:51 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    But this time with an actual Asian population, unlike Firefly.
    Don't you know post-apocalyptic futures only have White people?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, the Cold War was such bs. I'm hoping someday we as humans see ourselves as one global community
    Will never happen. Humans as a species are too tribalistic. There's not much stock in the "global community" outside of finance. I'd settle just for us to have a strong enough sense of self preservation that we're no longer the most likely cause of our own extinction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Will never happen. Humans as a species are too tribalistic. There's not much stock in the "global community" outside of finance. I'd settle just for us to have a strong enough sense of self preservation that we're no longer the most likely cause of our own extinction.
    I think maybe not now, but possibly eventually

Smile

Sadly, I think you are correct, it isn't (currently) in human nature.

My ideal distant future is something akin to Star Trek (not the current edgy dystopian garbage but the TNG-early DS9 Era) in which Humanity has evolved: no one cares about superficial differences, poverty is extinct, and everyone is free to reach their full potential, oh, and we are exploring the stars (can't forget that). All we need is basic matter replication technology and we are set.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yep. Chinese people as a race are fine, because we're all just bald monkeys with big heads when you get right down to it so racism is dumb. But the Chinese government is just nasty. Anti-Asian sentiment has no damned place in the world, but I'll support anti-Chinese sentiment (as in the Chinese government only) all day every day.
    Yeah. There is a difference between anti-Chinese and anti-China (or anti-Communist if you prefer).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The worst rumor I've heard about Disney wishing to please China was the case of Finn from Star Wars. Apparently one of the reasons Disney downplayed the involvement of Finn in the latter two movies is because he tested poorly in China due, let's be honest, to well-known Chinese racism against darker-skinned people. Reportedly, Disney felt the movies would do better in all important China if Finn was sidelined.

'Star Wars' China Poster Shrinks Black Character - Variety

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/s...ga-1201653494/
    Chinese are not the only Asians that are racists. Naomi Osaka is a half-Japanese, half-Black. When Naomi Osaka was in a Japanese school, she was bullied by Japanese classmates who threw bananas at her. Some of them refused to swim in the pool with her.

BANNED

Kind of amazing that a Marvel movie teaser would instantly lead to a mature discussion of geo-politics. I wonder what Castle would think about that, compared to all those exquisitely made DC films.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Kind of amazing that a Marvel movie teaser would instantly lead to a mature discussion of geo-politics. I wonder what Castle would think about that, compared to all those exquisitely made DC films.
    Why would you even bring him up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Chinese are not the only Asians that are racists. Naomi Osaka is a half-Japanese, half-Black. When Naomi Osaka was in a Japanese school, she was bullied by Japanese classmates who threw bananas at her. Some of them refused to swim in the pool with her.
    I did not want to bring this up but you're correct. Many East Asians have historically been very racist against dark-skinned people especially Africans and many still are behind closed doors I can attest (regarding Japan, China, and South Korea to a lesser degree anyway). The physical appearance of characters such as Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball doesn't happen by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Don't you know post-apocalyptic futures only have White people?
    That's not right. There's plenty of Asian people in... *checks the Terminator and Star Trek: First Contact*...

...DAMMIT.

That's not right. There's plenty of Asian people in... *checks the Terminator and Star Trek: First Contact*...

...DAMMIT.
    The Walking Dead Universe (especially the TV series and spin-offs) has a rather diverse survivor pool.

Ultimate Member

...DAMMIT.
    There's more robots than PoC in the apocalypse