Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Sandman will be here soon, Prepare for him!

...just gotta....survive my flight.
    Neat, looking forward to your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    This power will not level up. Powers are static for the whole game. Your core stats will go up and you will learn new skills but the power will not change. If this changes your decision on what your power is, feel free to make changes.

Cool, if that's what you want to go with assuming that the fact that it will not change doesn't change your decision, I can give you a +20 boost.

If you're happy with that, update your sheet accordingly.
    Whether or not it levels up makes no difference. The hope is that it's something she won't ever really need to use. Of course ... that remains to be seen. So I'm perfectly fine with it staying "From the shoulder, to the wrist, Spirit Dragon Super Fist."

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well now I'm perturbed I overlooked it in your profile. I'll give everyone a once over before we actually start to make sure I haven't missed anything else.
    One-Two is just that good.

Name: Innocence McNamara

Background: Growing up in an Upper-Middle Class Family, Innocence was never in need of anything. He life was, for the most part, pretty uneventful. That is, until after she graduated from college.

Her father was a municipal judge, her mother a High School Math teacher, tried to encourage their two children to excel at whatever they did. For Innocence, that meant going to college and graduating with a duel degree in Math and Computer Science.

For her older brother, Aaron, that meant taking a darker path. Always excelling at sports and athletics, he was constantly pushing himself physically. Swim Team, Gymnastics, even sports like skateboarding and snowboarding were his life's focus. He even had aspirations to be in the Olympics. That is, until an injury nearly sidelined him. It wasn't long before he was addicted to Opioids, first from an ordinary prescription by a doctor, he then found suppliers who sold them illegally to high school and college athletes. Dropping out of college in his first year, his 'habit' lead to him to the underworld of crime.

{to be continued}

Physical description: Attractive young woman, but not outstandingly so. Athletic build, often hidden by the business suits and dresses she wears to her job as a Market Research and Data Analyst. Height 5’7”; weight 135 lbs.; hair – auburn brown, worn long though often tied back; eyes – hazel; wears reading glasses on occasion.

Temperament: Calm, even tempered, usually hard to read as she often hides her emotions unless she chooses to use them to elicit a response, blend in with others, or for other reasons. Intelligent, patient, never forgets and never forgives. But if triggered, her response could be swift.

Stat Block
    You get 200 XP for character creation. These points have the following caveats for creation purposes.

1) 60 points must be allocated into your core stats at 20 points per dominion (Physical/Precision/Mental). You may choose how that 20 points plays out between the two aspects of the dominion but 20 points must go into each.

2) A further 40 - 80 points must be allocated to your core stats however you want. A minimum of 40 must be put into core and up to a maximum of 80 points. The most you can put into initial physical stats as a total is 140 XP.

This leaves you a maximum of 100 points to spend on skills or a minimum of 60 points.

Physicality
    Brutish:
    Acrobatic:

Precision
    Close Range:
    Long Range:

Mental
    Composure:
    Problem Solving:

Limit Breakers: 1

Skill List
    List skills here.

Unique Power
    Name:
    Description in game: What the power manifests as in-game.
    Effect: What the power actually does mechanically.

Mob Reputation

This will be confirmed to by GM at game start.

Fear:
    Respect:

Police Reputation

[b]Notoriety:
    Familiarity:
    Last edited by Tami; 08-10-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Clearly some wires were crossed with regards to stats - I was under the impression that putting, for example, 60 into physicality would result in having a base of 60 in both 'sub-stats', and then adjusting each up and down as one wished (ie, subtracting 10 from one of them to add 10 to another).

If that's not the case, I clearly need to do some revising.

Edit: this, after Nik told me the math for my stats was fine! :P Hee hee hee.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Clearly some wires were crossed with regards to stats - I was under the impression that putting, for example, 60 into physicality would result in having a base of 60 in both 'sub-stats', and then adjusting each up and down as one wished (ie, subtracting 10 from one of them to add 10 to another).

You're old Sharp. They'll let you get away with murder.

...literally, in this game.

Retired Overlord

Ok, hows this then?

Name: Xiaoqing Yin
    Background: Yin was born to a hard working chinese family who had immigrated to Gridport when she was but a baby. She was an only child, and her parents were strict and hardworking, so their expectations were somewhat magnified on her over the course of her early life. While their actions seemed like something of a stereotype, hr parents were simply working with that they had. Ever advantage they could bestow upon their child was worth ever sacrifice they needed to make to achieve it....that was why they had come to Gridport in the first place. It wasn't the best place to raise a child, but it was the only place they could afford to go. They worked extra jobs to make the money they needed to afford schooling for her, working in self defense training at a younger age then normal and expected her to succeed in every opportunity they could provide.

Yin, however, didn't care. She wasn't a lazy child, but her attention span was non existent when it came to what her parents wanted. She explored, she squandered her spare cash on sweets and her grades....while high, were nontheless nowhere near what her mother and father expected. Time and again they would put their foot down and scold her for her attitude, pointing to those who were doing better then her in grades(Someone named Quirat always seemed to score a point above her) and saying what a wasted potential she was.

A month after her 18th birthday however, all of her parents well lay plans toppled down around them.

What Yin had not known, was that her family had dealings with the triads....specifically the arrangements for their immigration had been made through them, and many of the jobs they had done and favors pulled for her benefit had been done through the local triads within Gridport. As a result, they had racked up a sizable debt to the group that had reached the point where small jobs and words could no longer keep it overlooked. When the girl had returned home that day, her home had been trashed and her parents were nowhere to be found.

Yin never found out what happened to them, having assumed it was the work of gang violence or a break in gone wrong. For years she made a living on the streets, and perhaps in a bit of Irony she slowly built herself into the woman that her parents might have wanted....albeit not without her own personal streak. Yet the past often comes back in the most unexpected ways. As it turned out, someone did know the gritty details of her parents disappearance....but that information wouldn't come cheap.

No....She'd have to play a part for them, one that led to the belly of the beast...and mayhaps, the chance for revenge.

Physical description: A woman of obvious chinese descent. Yin sports a tall, slender frame and maintains a slim figure despite her overindulgent sweet tooth, likely a result of her physical regime. She has red hair(likely dyed) thats cut short, adding to her slightly tomboyish appearance. Her eyes are light grey and often slightly unfocused, giving her the impression of daydreaming. Often dresses in whatever clothes suits her fancy, wither it be clothes for guys or girls.

Temperament: Yin has a rather deadpan way of speaking, coupled with her nonchalant attitude and cloudcocoland disposition this often throws people off with their initial assessment of her. Beyond the surface however, she's just a wounded girl trying to stay afloat in a harsh world.

Stat Block
    Physicality 50
    Brutish: 40
    Acrobatic: 10

Precision 30
    Close Range: 5
    Long Range: 25

Mental 50
    Composure: 40
    Problem Solving: 10

Limit Breakers: 1

Skill List
    Boxing: (Intermediate +10)
    Melee Weapon Proficiency(Knife): (Intermediate +10)
    Pain Resistance(Intermediate +10)
    Pistols: (Confident + 20)
    Intimidation: (Confident + 20)

Unique Power
    Power Name: Cold Dead Eyes
    Description: Yin fixes a target with her coldest deadest stare like a creepy-creeper.
    Effect: Once per rest period, Yin fixes a target in the eyes and gives them a cold glare that chills the soul. The target is rendered incapable of movement/action for one action [approx. three seconds realtime]. Additionally, Yin gains a +20 on a subsequent Intimidation attempt on this target.

So, that gives you the stunlock and the intimidate. I'm not mentioning the fact that the stunlock effectively acts as a free attack of opportunity in a combat situation because that's not strictly a function of the power, more an effect it can have. It's limited to one person, it's once per rest period and the boost is limited to +20.

Mob Reputation

Fear: 10
    Respect: 15

Police Reputation

Notoriety: 15
    Familiarity: 10
    Last edited by MrSandman; 08-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Whether or not it levels up makes no difference. The hope is that it's something she won't ever really need to use. Of course ... that remains to be seen. So I'm perfectly fine with it staying "From the shoulder, to the wrist, Spirit Dragon Super Fist."

Cool, well if you're happy with that, I'll endorse it. I think you're done otherwise. I'll be giving everyone final checks and workshopping some bits and pieces prior to game start so I can do NPCs correctly and potentially map out some avenues you might want to consider in your approach to the game.

Nanashi has also been added to the cast list.

This will happen for all players via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Still trying to figure this out, so I'll start with the basics. I'll work on the rest tomorrow.
    I'll withhold examination of this until the character is complete but I've added you to the cast list.

This is the only problem of primarily running the setup of the campaign during the last few weeks of my job, my attention is not 100% on the numbers. :P

As I say, there will be a stats and stuff reckoning.

Ok, hows this then?
    Surprisingly perhaps the most fighting oriented character we've had so far.

I'm slightly leery of a missed connection type thing with another PC without Sharp's permission.

Also, your bio must include how the character came to be involved with the mole operation.

Unique Power
    Name: Cold Dead Eyes
    Description in game: Yins deadpan expression often takes on a different effect during a fight, there being just something...unnaturally brutal about the brutally emotionless look in her eyes as advanced. It put hesitation in even the most stout of adversaries.
    Effect: Once a Day, in either a combat or diplomatic situation, Yin can throw almost supernaturally intimidating deathglare that causes enemies to be unable to fire on her for several moments, weakens melee skilled enemies and improves her next intimidation check to Master)
    This is way too potent. It does a lot of things.

I have several questions about its limitations and applications.

1) How many people were you intending this could effect at maximum?
    2) What kind of penalty were you intending this would impose on melee attacks? Numerically I mean. Also, how long would the debuff last?
    3) Maximum buff any power can have is +40. Master Rank was raised to +60 in my reconfiguring of the stats system. The max you could have is +40 but for this level of utility, I would be looking at a smaller boost.

Thoughts?

Retired Overlord

Surprisingly perhaps the most fighting oriented character we've had so far.

I'm slightly leery of a missed connection type thing with another PC without Sharp's permission.

Also, your bio must include how the character came to be involved with the mole operation.
    The minor background connection was a spur the moment type thing, and not really meant to have any major consequences. Its mainly a bit of background flavor that Yin herself has likely almost forgotten about now. It won't have any weight in the presence unless its something sharp specifically initiates, otherwise I'll just keep it as a "huh, that's neat" type of connection.

Of course if Sharp isn't ok with it I can cross it out just as easily.

As for the reasons she would be involved with the mole operation, would it be ok to assume the police would have some information on her the who and why of her parents disappearance to use as incentive to help in their investigation?

This is way too potent. It does a lot of things.

I have several questions about its limitations and applications.

1) How many people were you intending this could effect at maximum?
    2) What kind of penalty were you intending this would impose on melee attacks? Numerically I mean. Also, how long would the debuff last?
    3) Maximum buff any power can have is +40. Master Rank was raised to +60 in my reconfiguring of the stats system. The max you could have is +40 but for this level of utility, I would be looking at a smaller boost.

Thoughts?
    1) Initially figured it would target anyone with a direct los of her face, but it can be easily modified for just whoever she is focused on for balance. My ideal version of it would have the intimidate and melee weakening targets focused on the one target and the trigger hesitation on anyone with a face los. But I'll go with the path you think has the most game balance.
    2) The debuff would last through the next attack by her and by the enemy, and would reduce their brute combat related skills by 20(adjustable if too much).
    3) Would +20 be acceptable? (Same as the debuff level)

The minor background connection was a spur the moment type thing, and not really meant to have any major consequences. Its mainly a bit of background flavor that Yin herself has likely almost forgotten about now. It won't have any weight in the presence unless its something sharp specifically initiates, otherwise I'll just keep it as a "huh, that's neat" type of connection.

Of course if Sharp isn't ok with it I can cross it out just as easily.
    I leave this to Sharp's discretion. I'm not against it exactly but linking your backgrounds will require a certain amount of legwork in terms of consistency.

As for the reasons she would be involved with the mole operation, would it be ok to assume the police would have some information on her the who and why of her parents disappearance to use as incentive to help in their investigation?
    This would require a lot of liaising with me via PM which we can do but I would be happy with this for a reason if that's what you'd like to go for.

1) Initially figured it would target anyone with a direct los of her face, but it can be easily modified for just whoever she is focused on for balance. My ideal version of it would have the intimidate and melee weakening targets focused on the one target and the trigger hesitation on anyone with a face los. But I'll go with the path you think has the most game balance.
    2) The debuff would last through the next attack by her and by the enemy, and would reduce their brute combat related skills by 20(adjustable if too much).
    3) Would +20 be acceptable? (Same as the debuff level)
    Hmm...

Okay, so here's how I'd pitch it to get the buff, stunlock and debuff effects. If you want that plurality of effects, you are definitely not going to be able to have it work on multiple people at a time because that's very strong. Mechanically, the way I would choose to replicate the effect would be to use the debuff angle more potently.

Hmm... in terms of balancing. How I think the key thing is that you can't choose what things they'll do in response.

Okay, this is going to be a little more complex than other powers as there's going to be a comparative check involved in this power but how about:

Unique Power
    Name: Cold Dead Eyes
    Description in game: Yins deadpan expression often takes on a different effect during a fight, there being just something...unnaturally brutal about the brutally emotionless look in her eyes as advanced. It put hesitation in even the most stout of adversaries.
    Effect: Once per day, Yin can throw almost supernaturally intimidating deathglare that causes a selected enemy who meets her eyes to experience the following effects:

- They must immediately undergo a Composure check vs [Yin's total Intimidation check score] +20.

IF THEY PASS THE CHECK:
    - The target receives a -20 penalty to their next Composure, Brutality or Acrobatics check.

IF THEY FAIL THE CHECK:
    - The target is unable to attempt their next Composure, Brutality or Acrobatics check due to the effect of the glare and suffers a -20 penalty to the next check of one of the previously listed types that they incur.

So effectively, the power is a bit less reliable and is an enhanced Intimidation check which can momentarily stunlock a target. Because it's conditional on success, I've allowed for the successful results to be a little more dramatic than a more at will sort of thing. Currently that's a peak of Moderate - rank check for the target but given that your Composure stat or Intimidation skill can be enhanced when you level, this could get more potent as the game goes on.

I think that's a fair version of this, especially as it is only a daily.

This is the only problem of primarily running the setup of the campaign during the last few weeks of my job, my attention is not 100% on the numbers. :P

As I say, there will be a stats and stuff reckoning
    Okay. So to clarify, two stat possibilities.

1. We take the PRIMARY stat (say, Precision), assign points to that (say, 80). Points are then divided as we see fit between the sub-stats (Long Range and Short Range) from the 80 (Eg: Short Range 55, Long Range 25).

2. We take the PRIMARY stat (say, Precision), assign points to that (say, 80). Both sub-stats (Long Range and Short Range) receive this as a base, which can be modified up or down with a corresponding change in the other stat (Example 1: Long Range 85, Short Range 75. Example 2: Long range 95, Short Range 65).

I'm betting it's #1, but I should ask.

I'm cool with it. We need to both be the same age, though, unless you've skipped a grade or been held back. If you're 26, you could also have been born after the school year began (ie, October to December).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It is option #1 Sharp.

Will begin alterations to character nao.
    Why are we here?

Characters are starting off in the 'dead average normal human' area (other than the special power); something to keep in mind when trying to do tasks in the beginning, I suspect.

[Edit} ...this is going to be a problem for me. I'm utterly useless physically, and don't have a whole heck of a lot to offer to criminals at my present stat. Not sure how I can convince people to let me join their club. *narrows eyes*
    Why are we here?

Characters are starting off in the 'dead average normal human' area (other than the special power); something to keep in mind when trying to do tasks in the beginning, I suspect.

[Edit} ...this is going to be a problem for me. I'm utterly useless physically, and don't have a whole heck of a lot to offer to criminals at my present stat. Not sure how I can convince people to let me join their club. *narrows eyes*
    I freely admit that you're playing what I'd describe as a somewhat challenging build for the game.

However, I don't know about having issues getting in, I think Quirat has a lot to offer. Languages, measured temperament, potential police connections, knowledge of the legal system. She won't be able to get in just any gang... though... actually...

Hmm... there's a gang choice that is quite obviously "brick type characters would do well here," in the setting but I honestly think Quirat could take that route and use her contrast of being smart, measured and diplomatic rather than raging punch machine to get in well just as well.

Hmm...

Anyhow, there are options. Just because you're not making the hardest of rolls yet, doesn't mean you're going to struggle to access the main bulk of the campaign.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-23-2019 at 06:25 AM.