Page 173 of 182 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2721

Since we are visiting some old art I thought I’d share my set of Atomic Age Subbys here. Took me a number of years to find these in the wild . The Bill Everett cover # 33 is by far my fav with issue 38 the origin of his ankle wings next . At some point in future I may try to finish the golden age run. I have 12 so far ....

That's awesome.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Who is that little half-naked man with the winged headband on the far right? (I know that is not Bob Frank!)
    That's Timely Comics' Mercury or Hurricane as they changed their name. First appearance was in Timely Comics Red Raven #1 which became The Human Torch comic with issue #2 during the golden age.

He was retconned to be Makkari from the Eternals in modern Marvel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    Since we are visiting some old art I thought I’d share my set of Atomic Age Subbys here. Took me a number of years to find these in the wild . The Bill Everett cover # 33 is by far my fav with issue 38 the origin of his ankle wings next . At some point in future I may try to finish the golden age run. I have 12 so far ....

Great collection!

Agents of Atlas #5, Namor's on the last page with a full page literal splash.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Agents of Atlas #5, Namor's on the last page with a full page literal splash.
    Thanks for the heads up! Will have to check it out.

Invaders 12 was a fitting ending. Lots of Namor goodness. Magno does love Namor's throne room. And the battle scenes!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I still have to get my Invaders last issue. My LCBS is next to the gym so when I go this afternoon I'll pick it up after workout as usual. Will definitely miss this series but at least we Namor fans have Atlantis Attacks, Tarot and woohoo that one shot solo with Betty Dean!!! Here's from Zdarsky's blog:

"And our final issue of INVADERS, #12 is out today.

This was an incredibly satisfying series to write. Getting to explore the bond between these characters (and test them) was a treat from start to finish. I can’t thank Carlos Magno enough, who tirelessly worked to create the most detail-rich and dynamic art you can ever hope to have from a monthly comic book. There’s a spread in here that’s just jaw-dropping.

And Butch Guice, a true master of expression and storytelling, elevated our covers and the flashback scenes and gave me the gift that keeps on giving: d-bag young Xavier:

Alex Guimăres held it all together with his vivid palette, and Travis Lanham somehow squeezed all my terrible words in with design grace.

Finally, thanks to Tom, Alanna and Shannon, the best editors in the business, who trusted me with Marvel’s oldest characters and almost never yelled at me.

SEE DOESN’T THAT FEEL BETTER
    Not really! I liked working on that book and now it’s over!

OH YEAH SORRY I FORGOT THAT PART
    It’s okay. I still love you. What now?

CHIP ANSWERS QUESTIONS
    Every week I’ll answer one POLITE and RESPECTFUL question about my life as a “writer” or about my sadness. The email is zdarskyletters@gmail.com.

Why is it that when I search ‘Chip Zdarsky Marvel Hardcover’ on Amazon, only Sex Criminals and an Italian translation of Howard the Duck come up?

-Aaron

Because they had a public poll for hardcover releases and I fucking lost, that’s why!!!

Best,
    Chip"

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    That's Timely Comics' Mercury or Hurricane as they changed their name. First appearance was in Timely Comics Red Raven #1 which became The Human Torch comic with issue #2 during the golden age.

He was retconned to be Makkari from the Eternals in modern Marvel.

Ah, thank you, my friend.

I only vaguely heard if Hurricane, but never saw him and never knew "Marvel" had a Mercury. I do like the Makkari retcon.

I DON'T see a single female character either. Is that a Celestial on the left, LOL?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post

What a great collection!!!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I really wish we had more of Guice's art in the Invaders series.

Namor going to get his dragon back! from Agents of Atlas #5, i like the explanation of why they wanted the dragon for PAN in the first place and this upcoming mini series looks like its going to be really good.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I really wish we had more of Guice's art in the Invaders series.

I'm about to read the comic now. That's a very powerful script. I like the facial expressions of Butch Guice, I don't like how the anatomy seems so sketchy and unfinished. Some of his hands are almost like a suggestion with incomplete structure and weirdly shaped fingers.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Well, it's a mixed bag for the March solicitations for Namor fans.

ATLANTIS ATTACKS #3 (OF 5)
    GREG PAK (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A) • Cover by ROCK-HE KIM
    Variant cover by NICK BRADSHAW
    SWORD OF THE SIRENAS!
    • As the tenuous peace with NAMOR collapses, WAVE and AMADEUS search their souls and measure their allegiances – and end up on opposite sides of the war!
    • What happens when the dream you thought you were defending turns out to be your ally’s greatest nightmare?
    • Young heroes grapple with impossible conflicts with the fate of three great civilizations in the balance!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Not as excited by this cover, in part because of the background. That better NOT be Atlantis getting destroyed, AGAIN. But I'm very curious to see what Nick Bradshaw does on the variant. I think I saw a small portion of it on his twitter or someplace. It was of a Sirena, I believe.

TAROT #4 (OF 4)
    ALAN DAVIS (W) • PAUL RENAUD (A/C)
    Variant Cover by ALAN DAVIS
    VARIANT COVER BY STEPHEN MOONEY
    Merged into a single amalgamated band, the combined heroes of the amalgamated Avengers and Defenders race against the clock to put everything right – as the final card begins to turn.
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

I've no idea what is going on here. It looks like Namor is an amalgam of himself and ... Hellstorm??? He's not even an Avenger or Defender at this time, IIRC. Sadly, the Alan Davis variant doesn't even have Namor on the cover. : (

AVENGERS #32
    JASON AARON (W) • ED MCGUINNESS (A/C)
    SPIDER-WOMAN VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
    EARTH’S MIGHTIEST VILLAINS!
    What do the King of Atlantis, the Lord of the Vampires, the deposed duke of Hell, a mysterious Russian assassin and the secret boss of Washington, D.C.’s greatest super-team have in common? They all really hate the Avengers. And so there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth’s mightiest villains found themselves united against a common threat.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

And one under the radar... it appears Jason Aaron is FINALLY getting back to Namor. And it looks like the usual crap. I can't even summon a WTF? as I see this mess. WHY would Namor team up with Hyperion??? And WHY is Dracula teaming up with Namor, who had his head in a box at the bottom of the sea??? And since WHEN has Namor hated the Avengers? I was hoping for so much more Namor in this title, than playing the villain, yet again, for NO reason whatsoever.

On the plus side, here's the solicit for MARVELS SNAPSHOT:

SUB-MARINER: MARVELS SNAPSHOT #1
    ALAN BRENNERT WITH KURT BUSIEK (W) • JERRY ORDWAY (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    VARIANT COVER BY JERRY ORDWAY
    VARIANT COVER BY GABRIELE DELL’OTTO
    HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JACK KIRBY It begins here — a series of specials that show us Marvel’s greatest characters from the Golden Age to today, all through the eyes of ordinary people! Project curator Kurt Busiek (Marvels, Astro City) has brought together an amazing assemblage of talent to bring you a total of eight new and unusual viewpoints on Marvel history and Marvel heroes, two per month for the next four months. To kick it all off, best-selling novelist and Emmy Award-winning TV writer Alan Brennert (L.A. LAW, TWILIGHT ZONE) and superstar artist Jerry Ordway (All-Star Squadron, Crisis on Infinite Earths) to tell a story of Marvel’s debut superstar: Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner. It’s 1946, and the boys are back from World War II. But they haven’t left the battlefields behind, as reporter Betty Dean discovers when she and Namor reunite for an outing at Palisades Park, only to find themselves under attack. Also featuring the All-Winners Squad. A dramatic, unexpected and revealing tour through the Marvel Universe by a cornucopia of amazing creators.
    40 PGS./ONE SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

I can't wait to see Gabriele Dell'Otto do a Namor cover again! Plus there's a listing in the posters for MARVELS .... I'm hoping this is the Alex Ross Namor cover, and not his MARVELS Earth X stuff.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Wacky Jason Aaron, I wanted to see Namor fighting Hyperion not the Avengers! Hoping he might turn around. Will pick this one up just for McGuinness art.

AVENGERS #32
    JASON AARON (W) • ED MCGUINNESS (A/C)
    SPIDER-WOMAN VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
    EARTH’S MIGHTIEST VILLAINS!
    What do the King of Atlantis, the Lord of the Vampires, the deposed duke of Hell, a mysterious Russian assassin and the secret boss of Washington, D.C.’s greatest super-team have in common? They all really hate the Avengers. And so there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth’s mightiest villains found themselves united against a common threat.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99