Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

There not going to remove the faceplate for the same reason Superman’s S insignia is not getting ever taken away. It’s a comic book it’s full a bunch of impractical stuff. The faceplate is iconic, whether he has ability to morph his appearance a not at the end of the day that’s what it comes down to, brand recognition.

Honestly as far as I’m aware Superman’s suit wasn’t considered armor until the New52 and based on showings his flesh is obviously invulnerable and his suit not. What’s the practical reason for most heroes and villains to even constantly keep making suits? What’s the practical reason to have a logo. It’s merchandising and brand recognition.

Honestly comes off as trying to find a never ending complaint cause that’s obviously not going to be taken away in the long term.

BANNED

Batman has never in continuity with his memories intact reached “peace”

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Batman hasn’t moved on. That’s the whole point of his character. Also, speaking as a disabled person who lost most of my left arm in a bad accident 24 years ago, it’s hard to move on from something so traumatic. Every time I put on my prosthetic arm I’m reminded of my accident and that’s even with the advancements in prosthetics since then. So I imagine it’s the same for Vic and is the reason why I relate to him so much.
    as weird as this may sound, I'm glad to see an actual physically disabled person on here because it boils the problems with Cyborg down to a simple question: if you, a disabled person, could have a prosthetic arm that looked and behaved as close as possible to your regular arm, would you take it?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    There not going to remove the faceplate for the same reason Superman’s S insignia is not getting ever taken away. It’s a comic book it’s full a bunch of impractical stuff. The faceplate is iconic, whether he has ability to morph his appearance a not at the end of the day that’s what it comes down to, brand recognition.

Honestly as far as I’m aware Superman’s suit wasn’t considered armor until the New52 and based on showings his flesh is obviously invulnerable and his suit not. What’s the practical reason for most heroes and villains to even constantly keep making suits? What’s the practical reason to have a logo. It’s merchandising and brand recognition.

Honestly comes off as trying to find a never ending complaint cause that’s obviously not going to be taken away in the long term.
    I dont think the problem is is just getting rid of the faceplate, the problem is updating his look. there are iterations were his he's a walking tank, his face is 90% of his human parts and the faceplate will cover his eye, his chin, the back of his head, and both ears; that's just not an appealing look for someone who is supposed to be the even merger of man and machine. there are ways to do the faceplate aesthetic but updating it to be sleek and reflect how well technology COULD be blended aesthetically with anything.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Asked in a better way...

How long is Cyborg supposed to be embracing how his tragic accident altered him into a major hero with tech-god abilities that also allow him to alter his appearance?

At some point it has to be awesome in the same vein as Flash with his speed, Superman with his plethora of powers, Batman and his wealth and family, etc. These characters eventually reach a level of peace with their predicament.
    I ended up with a large settlement due to losing my arm in a work related accident. While the money is nice I’d rather have my arm back. That’s probably how Vic looks at his predicament as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I dont think the problem is is just getting rid of the faceplate, the problem is updating his look. there are iterations were his he's a walking tank, his face is 90% of his human parts and the faceplate will cover his eye, his chin, the back of his head, and both ears; that's just not an appealing look for someone who is supposed to be the even merger of man and machine. there are ways to do the faceplate aesthetic but updating it to be sleek and reflect how well technology COULD be blended aesthetically with anything.
    The thing is those looks serve an in story purpose. When it’s all said and done his signature look will be the half man/half machine look. Where his faceplate at most is 2/5ths his face.

It’s the equivalent of Batman getting armored up for a story based on what he has to fight or Ironman. His look is gonna change based on what he’s up against. The look that’s going to stick around though is the look we’re use to seeing. Whether in story he loses the faceplate, goes into an all armored berserker mode or whatever the writer does. Just due to his power set.

I defer to this:

as weird as this may sound, I'm glad to see an actual physically disabled person on here because it boils the problems with Cyborg down to a simple question: if you, a disabled person, could have a prosthetic arm that looked and behaved as close as possible to your regular arm, would you take it?
    Who, with the power to look like they used to, would chose not to? Vic has that power. This question is only referring to an in-story reason for Cyborg’s dated appearance. Not merchandising or branding.

BANNED

I missed that part of the discussion. I’ll back the notion of embracing being a Cyborg lol

I would, just like I have done in the past, but it still wouldn’t be the same to me. No matter what, I still wish I had MY arm back.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I would, just like that I have done in the past, but it still wouldn’t be the same to me. No matter what, I still wish I had MY arm back.
    and I can understand that but at the end if the day, you're a human being and if you have the tools available you would want to attain a sense if normalcy. yes, nothing will ever replace your arm but you know you are more than just your arm, and I don't think if you had a new arm you would resent it because it makes you "less than human"; especially if it behaves like your arm and has extra amenities.

when Victor's story, in a world full of idealized individuals, is limited to him lamenting over and then getting over "being less than a man" because of what happened to him, in perpetuity, at a point it stops feeling like an uplifting message and it starts feeling like the message IS that he's less than man, ya know what I'm saying? Vic doesn't HAVE to look like a metal monstrosity, especially if his prosthetics are beyond bleeding edge, and in our day in age it's getting harder and harder to reconcile Victor's angst because we know how technology works and evolves. we went from slow ass computers that fill rooms to supercomputers in our pockets.

if you have to resources to look normal, could wear clothes, could do things MORE than humanly possible, to simply at least appear to have a sense of normalcy, any person would use that; so why shouldn't Vic?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-15-2020 at 10:31 AM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Who, with the power to look like they used to, would chose not to? Vic has that power. This question is only referring to an in-story reason for Cyborg’s dated appearance. Not merchandising or branding.
    I don't think anyone has really delved into this from an in-universe perspective. Not too deeply, anyway. Vic's ability to disguise himself only became a thing with the DCYOU series, I believe. And while Vic was processing this change and what it meant for him, his book was cancelled. The ability itself has only been seen a few times since then and nobody, far as I know, has done a proper, deep character evaluation to explore how it's impacted him. So why he doesn't just "cover up" 24/7 is anyone's guess, though initially the ability was supposed to pull a lot of processing power from his systems and ran the risk of overloading his CPU, so it might just be as simple as that. Of course, if his systems can do all the stuff a Mother Box can do, why this would drain so much power is....questionable.....logic.

My completely unsolicited and unofficial opinion for how to spin it (because the business and marketing will always trump narrative sense, always) is that this is likely a matter of acceptance. Vic spent most of his publishing history resenting what had happened to him and hating what he had become even as he used it to inspire others. I think it'd be narrative poetry if Vic finally gained the power to hide his augmentations, but decided to flaunt them instead. If you can't love him at his Cyborg, you don't deserve him at his Vic Stone, yknow? If Vic is at peace with his dual nature and finally looking at himself not as a freak or a victim but as someone who's on the bleeding edge of human development and evolution then he has no reason to disguise himself, outside of specific instances where he's purposefully trying to be unnoticed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Considering how Cyborg, by himself, is not a strong brand at all, and that DC has made some attempt for the character to have his own brand, to negative results, I think it's worth experimenting with trying something else with his appearance. Especially since so many people have an issue with it. If your hero doesn't look cool, he's not likely to get very far. Some characters, like Moon Knight, are more looks than anything, and Spider-Gwen probably owes a huge amount of her popularity to her costume design. A design really matters, and Cyborg, frankly, looks like ass.

Harley Quinn, who is a much more popular character, got a complete visual overhaul at the New 52, and if anything, it has worked in her favor. Her red and black jester suit is more iconic than anything Cyborg has going on and Harley can take it or leave it and still have great success. So, I'm not really buying this idea that you CANNOT change Cyborg's faceplate or look. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't believe the audience, at large, is attached enough to that faceplate like they are more so to Superman's costume that you can't successfully change it.

Incredible Member

While i do prefer the imposing armored body look this face is completely acceptable (and preferable) to me if the character didn't ditch the mechanical face altogether:

3292462-3863001947-25287.jpg

"C" chest insignia for easy identification like many other heroes? Check
    Red eye paying homage to his legacy appearance? Check
    Grooved face for those that must see a portion of his face as "mechanical"? Check
    Cybernetic arms? Check

Again i'd prefer more body armor but i'd take this version of Victor Stone every day and twice on Sundays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Customizer; 01-15-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Great posts all.

When I actually put thought to it, I found it so weird that Vic is basically naked in the comics. It could go a long way to see him (with way more flesh) in clothes during downtime. Then being able to “armor up” the parts that would normally be naked when it’s time. A little Hulk-like even. Doom Patrol Cyborg is on the right path.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Considering how Cyborg, by himself, is not a strong brand at all, and that DC has made some attempt for the character to have his own brand, to negative results, I think it's worth experimenting with trying something else with his appearance. Especially since so many people have an issue with it. If your hero doesn't look cool, he's not likely to get very far. Some characters, like Moon Knight, are more looks than anything, and Spider-Gwen probably owes a huge amount of her popularity to her costume design. A design really matters, and Cyborg, frankly, looks like ass.

Harley Quinn, who is a much more popular character, got a complete visual overhaul at the New 52, and if anything, it has worked in her favor. Her red and black jester suit is more iconic than anything Cyborg has going on and Harley can take it or leave it and still have great success. So, I'm not really buying this idea that you CANNOT change Cyborg's faceplate or look. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't believe the audience, at large, is attached enough to that faceplate like they are more so to Superman's costume that you can't successfully change it.
    *nods head*

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    It seems to me that the people who like his old design aren't numerous enough to take the character to new heights via product purchase.

Much like the Black Panther did at one point Cyborg needs a minor visual design tweak.

If making minor changes produces more fans than the character currently has then it wouldn't make much business sense to *not* make said changes if DC's goal is to create more interest in the character.
    Don't complain. Create.