Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Friendly Fire?
    That would be a good fitting name for Johnny.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Kinda related question: what new name should Johnny Storm take, out of respect for the first of the marvels? The Human Flame? Fantastic Flame?
    The Human Torch.
    "Cable was right!"

Kinda related question: what new name should Johnny Storm take, out of respect for the first of the marvels? The Human Flame? Fantastic Flame?
    Hotshot or Fireball
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-01-2023 at 07:52 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Kid Flame
    Fire Lad
    Hot Shot
    The Heat
    Fire-Man
    Mr. Flamestastic

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Human Torch.
    Come to think of it, why was the golden age version even called that? He's what's now known as a synthezoid (though as that terminology wasn't invented yet, he was just referred to as a robot) - not a human!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Come to think of it, why was the golden age version even called that? He's what's now known as a synthezoid (though as that terminology wasn't invented yet, he was just referred to as a robot) - not a human!
    I mean, do you want to call him "the humanoid torch"?

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't consider it a promotion to take someone else's original name when she has her own that she started with.
    She was Ms. Marvel in honor of Captain Marvel. How is that an original name? It's no more original than Superboy or Batgirl or Red Hulk. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with legacy names, and Carol certainly blazed her own trail (as many legacies have) with it and built a solid, respectable history for herself. But she started with a legacy name, and now holds the franchise name. In my book that's a promotion; she started her heroic career as a secondary character in the franchise, and is now the head of it.

There aren't many situations where I support name changes like this, but in Carol's case I think it was long overdue. But I get where you're coming from.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

A good question. He could be called Man Torch. Can a robot count as a man?

the male-looking robots and androids including Vision, Ultron and Machine Man have been referred to as "he" and the female-looking robots including Jocasta have been referred to as "she".

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean, do you want to call him "the humanoid torch"?
    Just "The Torch" would've worked fine. Both Jim and Johnny are often just referred to as that anyway.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I know this is a gotcha question, but A) Jim Hammond hadn't been in comics in years. B) Jim didn't lose his name or was forced to get one of another character. C) Jim was not connected to the team that used the name years later. D) World War II characters that are tied to the era and that age are the best case to make with regard to legacy characters. Of course, Jim doesn't age. But his group was not attached to the sliding timescale. E) The name is a descriptor of powers and gives more of a reason to use it if it's a good one.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

The whole deal is why I don't have a problem with Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel if it wouldn't keep Mar-Vell from returning and using his name too. Or Sharon Ventura as Ms. Marvel if Carol is still using the name and is separate. Or Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman if Jessica is still using the name and is separate. All of those have similar powers too. Kamala supplanting Carol and Carol losing her unique name, which she was the first to use, doesn't work in my opinion. And she also has totally different powers too. And to the people saying that Ms. Marvel isn't unique because it's connected to Mar-Vell, it is derived from him, but I would still say that it is unique. As She-Hulk is but even more so. Because you can look at her and connect it or not. Which you can do with Captain Marvel too, I suppose. But that would be ignoring the fact that she is using his name and not a derived name and has given up her unique derived name. There should also only be one guy using the name Spider-Man in NY in 616. So, I think really that the best time to ever reuse names, is if it isn't replacing the character, the character is very separate and doesn't supplant the other character (unless the other character is not subject to the sliding timescale), the powers are mostly similar, the origins and method of getting powers are different.

That ship has sailed. There's already lots of duplicate names.

Carol and Kamala both took names nobody else was using - GOTG's AU Phyla hadn't been introduced yet and 616 Genis and Phyla were both dead. There was no Captain Marvel when Carol took the name and of course her dropping her old Ms. Marvel identity freed it up for Kamala to grab when she got her powers.

Extraordinary Member

That ship has sailed. There's already lots of duplicate names.

Carol and Kamala both took names nobody else was using - GOTG's AU Phyla hadn't been introduced yet and 616 Genis and Phyla were both dead. There was no Captain Marvel when Carol took the name and of course her dropping her old Ms. Marvel identity freed it up for Kamala to grab when she got her powers.
    Not only that, but the majority of general audience knows them as these names because of the MCU.
    Just like Scott is the Ant-Man from here on out in the comics because of the MCU.

Hank hadn't been Ant-Man since 1963 anyway, he was Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket and Wasp at different times. I wonder what name he'd use if her came back, given that those names are all now taken?

Hank hadn't been Ant-Man since 1963 anyway, he was Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket and Wasp at different times. I wonder what name he'd use if he came back, given that those names are all now taken?
    He really should be GiAnt-Man. As in both of those name depending on how he uses his powers.