Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post

Why must It be a choice tho? It is great to have epic fights that are memorable and character growth that happens in an organic and interesting way.
    Fight scenes don't always seem to make the validity of it's a measure(I mean loss or win) because most of these cause quite some disagreement and rathers ends up in inconsistencies. This might also affect the reading quality majority because of so few panel pages

Good fight scenes were long gone after past 10s and now whenever some writer try to do something like that they tend to indolently make those scenes rather cheaper.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Marauders has had some cool scenes. Kitty and Bobby have had some nice showings. I also liked the X-Force and Wolverine stuff.

Hickman is more focused on worldbuildig and his fight scenes haven't been very good/detailed, even though the assault on Orchis was able to convey a great sense of danger even though we haven't seen pages and pages of the mutants throwing punches. Illyana and Scott combining their powers was cool too. I can understand Hickman not wanting to focus on battles since he's the one that's doing the most world building now.

Excalibur is lackluster in that sense imo because we... Don't see the actual fights most of the time? Like Rogue vs Cullen happened mostly off panel, Betsy has only manifested a sword and Gambit and Jubilee have been throwing sparkly stuff at people for issues on end but it doesn't feel like good battles.
    New Murants mostly skipped on the actual fights too.
    I remember in the first episodes of Supernova arc where Children of the Vault were introduced Northstar and Rogue had a speed fight in the mansion. I think when CoV pop up again ,I expect fireworks.They seem to bring out the best in the Xmen

Spectacular Member

It's a damn curse at this point actually. Take even Hickman for example. Go back to Fantastic Four and witness the absolute epicness of adult Franklin and Galactus vs. the mad Celestials that has become one of the most iconic battles in comics already. Take even Avengers for example, the Infinity ending had Thanos and tha Black Order face Avengers powerhouses + Cap and that one was also an outstanding battle.
    Then take Hocus Pocus mission on Orchis. You send M, Cyclops, Archangel, Nichtcrawler, Wolverine and Jean to a space station to battle Sentinels and transhumans, and you get THAT utter disappointment as the result? Why?...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I remember in the first episodes of Supernova arc where Children of the Vault were introduced Northstar and Rogue had a speed fight in the mansion. I think when CoV pop up again ,I expect fireworks.They seem to bring out the best in the Xmen
    Mike Carey knew how to write the best fight scenes ever.
    Remember X-Men 205? 5 X-Men Vs. Acoyltes & Marauders.
    And then the fight with Proteus during Necrosha and also the COTV fights.

I think you are looking at wrong medium if you want interesting fights, Superheroes comics fights are always more condensed than superhero fights in movies and cartoons. You will get some good fights on occasion but X-men has far too many characters and is trying to tell overall story more than have interesting fights. If you want interesting than read and watch shonen manga and anime. In Shonen the fights are "the story" at lot of times, In American comics the story has in some fights and it is a big difference philosophy. In Shonen Cable 1 would have been a tournament arc and would have gotten see a bunch of cool fights but because it was in american comic it was just small piece of the story and they didn't care about the dynamics of who would win fight between Wolverine and Cable.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

They’ll come. Swords of X, I imagine will be a great battle.

I honestly haven't noticed, but I'm more interested in the world building, character work, and interesting/practical uses of powers (doesn't necessarily have to be during a fight scene) at this point. Magik and Cyclops combining powers against the Brood was a cool moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    It's a damn curse at this point actually. Take even Hickman for example. Go back to Fantastic Four and witness the absolute epicness of adult Franklin and Galactus vs. the mad Celestials that has become one of the most iconic battles in comics already. Take even Avengers for example, the Infinity ending had Thanos and tha Black Order face Avengers powerhouses + Cap and that one was also an outstanding battle.
    Then take Hocus Pocus mission on Orchis. You send M, Cyclops, Archangel, Nichtcrawler, Wolverine and Jean to a space station to battle Sentinels and transhumans, and you get THAT utter disappointment as the result? Why?...
    Orchis Mission was rather more about the characters(I mean X-Men) in hand and what is at stake rather than an explicit fight scene which FIGHT was referring to and X-Men are all are going to die in that ship, therefore, that's something.

I give props to Brubaker about this. Messiah and War of Kings were entertaining and quite spectacular to read if you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    That was great yes! It was a speedster fight that wasn't just *random blur* but they did something interesting. His combos with Rogue powers were always great too.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I honestly haven't noticed, but I'm more interested in the world building, character work, and interesting/practical uses of powers (doesn't necessarily have to be during a fight scene) at this point. Magik and Cyclops combining powers against the Brood was a cool moment.
    I agree, mixing powers is something that I'm interested in atm. Like the Orchis station communication link.
    Last edited by Veitha; 03-14-2020 at 07:17 AM.

In the old days, figths use to be more detailed or at least looked cooler (DD vs Bullseye by Miller was awesome), but with time that focus has changed, is really weird to find good figth scenes in current comics. Though, you can ocasionally find a semi decent one.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

It's kinda hard to have interesting fights when everyone has access to power dampeners.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Compared to the X-Men, the Avengers are so much more shallow and uninteresting as a whole they can only rely on action scenes. I thinks the X-Men books are doing great. So much depth, complexity, character variety and yes, some cool action scenes here and there.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Orchis Mission was rather more about the characters(I mean X-Men) in hand and what is at stake rather than an explicit fight scene which FIGHT was referring to and X-Men are all are going to die in that ship, therefore, that's something.

I give props to Brubaker about this. Messiah and War of Kings were entertaining and quite spectacular to read if you might say.
    You can and should do both, the Fantastic Four example is perfect here. Jean Grey went out without a fight. Cyclops was gunned down. Archangel was bombed. lol No redeemable qualities. That should say something.

Brubaker didn't write WoK. His action was okayish, AFAICR.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    It's kinda hard to have interesting fights when everyone has access to power dampeners.
    One of the worst copouts in history of X-books...