Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    eh, I feel your overestimating the influence this will have. i use John as an example but that show had a very different demo so they had to take characterization into account. here, it's a show for toddlers, I don't think anyone is really expecting this to inform the characters much because the people watching aren't really look for or holding on to their characterizations. it's just a move to give lil asian (and black in Duke's case) toddlers a face that looks like theirs, while also getting these under utilized characters' name out there; these are both good things. I don't think it's disingenuous, it's practical. it's not like this is the show to do either Cass or Duke's comics journeys justice. they are the only canon characters of color in their respective mantles, they wanted to have this Batman show to have more diversity than they typically do, so they did the simplest way to have that.
    I get that, but I feel like if you're going to use those versions of the characters it should be more faithful to the character instead of just treating it as a simple race-swap. It just feels like it's not really displaying Cass if she's Babs in all but name and hair color. It just makes the characters seem more interchangeable than they should be.

Although Cass being in it might be part of why they went with Duke instead of Damian for Robin.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Cassandra Cain appeared today in Batman:Urban Legends 7. I was not completely sure but Batman confirms later that is her.

Attachment 113734
    Cass finally going full manga.
    I always wanted to see Cass fight a Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it would lead to the false impression that Cass is a more traditional Batgirl than she actually is though.

Even with the changes the DCAU made to John's character, it's not like they turned him into Hal or Guy to fill out the show dynamic.

It's like on the one hand you appreciate raising the character's profile, you just wish it didn't seem slightly disingenuous.
    I mean given the target audience age it's understandable that this version of Cass isn't a 1:1 of her comic character. It's like with Starfire fans who complain that Kory wasn't an exact copy of the comics when Teen Titans was a kid show on cartoon network.

Also given how this for preschool children, I don't think it will affect much how Cass is depicted in the comics like it happened for other dc characters who've had their comic appearances change to fit the dceu counterpart.
    Last edited by frostedemma; 09-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It still shows Cassandra to a bigger audience. So, it would increase the profile of the character.
    Anybody picking up any comic starring Cass would just walk away because it's not the version on the show. They could try to make her closer to the version seen on the show but turning Cass into Babs will only make the former redundant in the long run. If this is a 'victory' for Cass fans then it's a phyrric one. It's a lose-lose situation either way.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I mean given the target audience age it's understandable that this version of Cass isn't a 1:1 of her comic character. It's like with Starfire fans who complain that Kory wasn't an exact copy of the comics when Teen Titans was a kid show on cartoon network.

Also given how this for preschool children, I don't think it will affect much how Cass is depicted in the comics like it happened for other dc characters who've had their comic appearances change to fit the dceu counterpart.
    Yeah, but at least in the 2003 cartoon I can see where they were drawing from Starfire's core character in terms of adapting her for that show, whereas here she just seems like Babs in all but name.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Real Cass will change to more closely resemble the phony version to take advantage of the increased profile.
    I find that unlikely. Plenty of cartoons have come and gone without influencing the source material

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but at least in the 2003 cartoon I can see where they were drawing from Starfire's core character in terms of adapting her for that show, whereas here she just seems like Babs in all but name.
    The Daredevil aspect is pretty solidly a cass thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I find that unlikely. Plenty of cartoons have come and gone without influencing the source material
    True - it was more a cheeky response - I don't think this'll have the impact people are talking about, "real" or "phony" Cass's profile won't rise or lower much here. People overestimate just how much of the cartoons they remember from preschool. Most of your memories of watching cartoons come just a smidge later typically (people of course vary). I don't remember watching Barney the Dinosaur at all but my mom assures me I watched it a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The Daredevil aspect is pretty solidly a cass thing.
    I mean...Babs was known as the dominoed daredoll...

Extraordinary Member

I mean...Babs was known as the dominoed daredoll...
    I've never heard that phrase before

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I've never heard that phrase before
    It's fairly nitched. I believe it was first used in her original appearance (alongside "The Caped Crusader", "The Daring Duo", "The Boy Wonder!" you get my drift) and has lately been used in the Super Hero Girls cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Take Babs and Grayson for example. There have been many "alternate" depictions of them throughout the multiverse (Batman The Animated Adventures, Super Hero Girls, Teen Titans Go, Lego series, etc) and the core comic portrayal has never really changed. Same for Cass, I imagine. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy watching the adventures of these two new multiverse Cass'.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Anybody picking up any comic starring Cass would just walk away because it's not the version on the show. They could try to make her closer to the version seen on the show but turning Cass into Babs will only make the former redundant in the long run. If this is a 'victory' for Cass fans then it's a phyrric one. It's a lose-lose situation either way.
    Not necessarily. The kids who watch this may probably never pick up Cass's original series so there is less chance for confusion. On the other hand, this does give Cass mainstream exposure and DC has shown they are okay with not every adaptation's take on a character matching up 100% with everything else (see Aquaman or Artemis Crock).

Granted, this all depends on what the future holds for Cass in comics and other media.

So Anyone heard the comic dub of Cass in Batfam adventures?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Alright I like darkening Damian but middle eastern dark is different than african dark and that's just Duke...

WAIT IT IS DUKE

Okay that makes more sense

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Alright I like darkening Damian but middle eastern dark is different than african dark and that's just Duke...

WAIT IT IS DUKE

Okay that makes more sense
    It is Duke not Damian even the costume which some claim belongs to Damian is an original design.