View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Poll: Check ALL that apply!

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • My GRADE for Solo: A-range (A-, A, A+)

24 30.77%
  • My GRADE for Solo: B-range

36 46.15%
  • My GRADE for Solo: C-range

11 14.10%
  • My GRADE for Solo: D-range

5 6.41%
  • My GRADE for Solo: F

3 3.85%
  • Ron Howard was a GREAT director

19 24.36%
  • Ron Howard was a GOOD director

24 30.77%
  • Ron Howard was an AVERAGE director

11 14.10%
  • Ron Howard was a POOR director

3 3.85%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GREAT Han Solo

11 14.10%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a GOOD Han Solo

29 37.18%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was an AVERAGE Han Solo

14 17.95%
  • Alden Ehrenreich was a POOR Han Solo

8 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Yeah, people just don't care about a movie about one of the most loved and iconic character of the saga.

Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, people just don't care about a movie about one of the most loved and iconic character of the saga.

Of course.
    Nobody was asking for a Han Solo movie apart from die hard fans. People like Han Solo(50% of that is because of Harrison Ford). They don't like him enough to get behind a solo prequel origin story, especially without Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That's not how it works. If people were really really liking Solo, the word of mouth would've saved it. A la Wonder Woman.

The simple reason Solo is failing is not because The Last Jedi "negativity", it's not because it's a terrible movie or anything, it's because most people JUST DON'T CARE about a solo Solo movie, especially without Harrison Ford. People aren't hating on it or hating on Last Jedi(yeah, right), people are indifferent towards it.

Fun fact: The Last Jedi was leggier than Infinity War.
    The reception is actually fine, I'm not sure what went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I know the reception is fine. But as I said, most people aren't interested in a Han Solo origin movie, especially without Harrison Ford. This movie could've had 97% on rotten tomatoes and it still would've struggled to make $500 M. And there's also the whole "unnecessary stupid origins of stuff nobody asked for" thing that Hollywood keeps doing for some reason even though it rarely turns out good.

Another thing I suspect is Star Wars to just refuse to get out of the past other than main movies. It's really tiring that no other stuff is allowed to move past the main movies in time period.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It was a combo of factors. It was way too soon after the polerizing TLJ. Some people are still just not happy about the bad taste TLJ left in their mouths and avoided Solo because of it. All the bad press about the production soured a lot of people before they even saw one frame of Solo. And finally yeah not a lot of people were asking for a Han Solo movie to begin with.

I still say if Disney would have stuck to the Christmas release instead of trying to cash in on nostalgia and moved to May the box office would probably be at least 100 mil higher right off the bat. It would have given people another 6 months for the bad taste of TLJ to fade from their minds and it would have given them a lot longer to actually do some good marketing for Solo instead of the slapped together mess they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It was a combo of factors. It was way too soon after the polerizing TLJ. Some people are still just not happy about the bad taste TLJ left in their mouths and avoided Solo because of it. All the bad press about the production soured a lot of people before they even saw one frame of Solo. And finally yeah not a lot of people were asking for a Han Solo movie to begin with.

I still say if Disney would have stuck to the Christmas release instead of trying to cash in on nostalgia and moved to May the box office would probably be at least 100 mil higher right off the bat. It would have given people another 6 months for the bad taste of TLJ to fade from their minds and it would have given them a lot longer to actually do some good marketing for Solo instead of the slapped together mess they did.
    In addition it's wedged right around several other big films. Avenger: Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2....something has to be left out for the sake of the wallet for a lot of people.

BANNED

Voted great A movie, Ehrenreich being a good Han, and Ron Howard being a poor director.
    I want to nuance that last bit: Howard is a good to great director, just not for this kind of movie.

So anyway, I just got home from seeing it... Went in completely blind. Not even seen a trailer.

Ehrenreich was good but not great. His main problem is being surrounded by people who are better, and possibly poor direction.

I loved Emilia Clarke in this. She was the one I was most doubtful of and she really surprised me.

Woody Harrelson was the MVP. He pretty much stole the movie. He had a much bigger part thanI had expected.

Donald Glover was Donald Glover. And he was Lando. I thought a bit about it and decided I liked that he was spoilers:
    a cheating bastard
    end of spoilers.
    And his droid stole the bits of movie that had fallen out of Harrelson pocket.

Paul Bethany makes a far better villain than a superhero.

spoilers:
    And goddamn Darth Maul out of nowhere. I first thought it was Palpatine when the hologram flickered on.
    And not just any Maul, proper Clone Wars and Rebels Maul, with Sam Witwer's voice. He even had the wooden lighsaber hilt from Rebels.

I also hadn't expect this to tie into the rebellion at all.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    In addition it's wedged right around several other big films. Avenger: Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2....something has to be left out for the sake of the wallet for a lot of people.
    Very true. They honestly could not have picked a worse time to put out this movie. It was just too stacked a period and something was going to lose. They were blinded by nostalgia glasses and thought "well Star Wars always used to come out in May so it should again" not taking into account just how packed April and May are nowadays with blockbusters compared to back in the day.

It was just like how last year when Fox put out War For the Planet of the Apes in the middle of July surrounded by blockbusters and it got crushed even though it was a great movie. Sometimes the studios just don't think it though about what their new film is going up against.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think it's the kind of movie that works really well on the big screen, so fans will be doing themselves a bit of disservice if they wait for it to come out on blu-ray and digital.

I was surprised by how much I liked all the 'firsts' that Han experienced. I was thinking that nothing on screen could compare to the forty year buildup but I was wrong. I love how Han got his last name, the first encounter with Chewie was great, and the twist with the first Sabaac game was a pleasant surprise. I love how they even worked in Han acting angry then hugging Lando, a reversal of their meeting in ESB (and now you can see why Han is so nervous when Lando hugs him).

The tie in to the Rebellion was a really pleasant surprise. The movies have shown next to nothing until now about how the Rebellion originated, was funded, etc. Plus, Erin Kellyman was badass.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

It's odd to me that people weren't interested in a movie about Solo. When I watched the prequels, I concluded that one of the problems was that they didn't a Han Solo "regular guy" character. Everyone was wearing robes and talking so stuffy. I turned me off. I thought they needed a Solo type character for me to come next with. Just my 2 cents. I liked SOLO a lot though. Just a fun ride. I didn't need there to be bigger stakes. I was entertained and that's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

I'm not sure that TLJ was nearly as hated as its critics maintain; the main piece of evidence was the user's RT score, which has a built-in margin of error and wasn't supported by more accurate polling systems.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm not sure that TLJ was nearly as hated as its critics maintain; the main piece of evidence was the user's RT score, which has a built-in margin of error and wasn't supported by more accurate polling systems.
    As I said, The Last Jedi had more legs than Infinity War. TLJ wasn't nearly as hated as some would like to believe. And Solo's success or failure is almost completely irrelevant to TLJ.

BANNED

I'm thinking the film being released in a month already oversaturated with blockbusters is a really big factor here.
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-15-2018 at 05:03 AM.

I finally saw it last night and it was pretty good. Easily the best of the new Stars Wars movies.

Also saying something is unnecessary or who was asking for this anyway is as low effort a critique as it gets.
    "It seems that all he does is catches things and moves them." Jessica St. Clair

"He also blows." Paul Scheer

How Did This Get Made? #178, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace