Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Fury had already contacted Black Panther to organise the 3 teams in Original Sin #1, so Fury had already set in motion the process of the 3 teams by the time the Avengers were having steak nite at the diner. We were coming in at the middle of the story, or at least half a day after Midas' team ransacked the Blue area and Fury shot the Watcher and stole one eye.

Fury must have had a procedure already written in case he was on the verge of dying, or he died. The procedure was to contact his favourite general, the Black Panther and get him to send 3 teams to discover the Unseens activities, and then the LMDs would tell the teams what the job description of the Unseen is, in the hope somebody would step into the breach. So Panther was Furys preferred successor, until it became obvious that Panther disagreed with Furys actions, then Fury had to go to plan B candidate.

Once Fury knew that the process started by the Watcher to expose all the secrets from his eyes to the world, Fury had to rush around and get his replacement as fully up to speed as he could before Fury was either killed or something else happened. So all of OS #1-8, was the exposition of the Watcher precipitating the change over of the Unseen to a younger character. It was not the preferred way Fury wanted to do the handover, but with so little time, and the knowledge of the Watchers secrets in the wrong hands, (Midas and the ORB), Fury got his LMD to be in the right place for Steve Rogers to ask him to start an investigation. As the story unfolded, it became apparent that this was a last will and testament. Fury thought death was going to be the end result of this conflict with Midas and the Orb, so he had to put all the invitations in the mail, and set up the funeral parlour and the casket with the body. Everything was revealed about the deceased in the eulogy, like at most funerals, and the legacy was, knowing so many secrets were now out in the open, all because of two characters.

The Watcher and Nick Fury, both got too tired to keep watching, at the time of Furys death. Furys imminent death precipitated the Watcher to do something worthwhile, and this is what Uatu thought was the right thing to do. Either to disrespect Fury for tampering in Earths history, or, because Uatu wanted to be a tamperer himself, and couldn't do that while he, Uatu, lived.

If Uatu wanted to tamper with Earth history, was releasing all the secrets the right way of going about it, because he deliberately made that happen? Original Sin #0 showed a very despondent Watcher on the cover after witnessing Nick Fury coughing and spluttering his way to death. Before Nick Fury did die, the Watcher decided he had to mark the occasion. Nick should feel very honored in one respect, that the Watcher picked Furys death to mark Uatus own death.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-08-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Sometimes I wonder if you read the comics you comment on.

It's interesting that the the Orb ended up with one of the Watchers eyes in his chest and running around as a peeping Tom? And Midas had one of the Watchers eyes explode in his chest. I wonder if the Watcher wanted those two things to happen? Fury could have have done anything with the two eyes he had. I wonder if the Watcher knew this would happen this way?

All-New Member

I'm glad Fury can no longer interfere and just watch

Quote Originally Posted by MrMadeULook View Post
    The thing about Fury interfering with super heroes is that Nick has done it before. After Fear Itself, Fury impersonated a villain to make Steve Rogers go back to being Captain America. If he can do that, he can do anything in just about any situation. I don't know if Bucky does the Impossible Mission stuff with disguises, though?

Default Original Sin Aftermath

The beauty of humanity is that we all see things differently. We may all read the same thing, but we all get something different from it because we are all different. I go back to the 4 gospels. Here's 4 people who saw the same thing, but got 4 different inspirations from it, and that's just the 4 that were picked.

PS : I don't think we are going to get an Aftermath title from OS. All we see happen is that Avengers go back to what they always do, Peter Parker continue his return to normal Parker stuff, but now with a new character called Silk. Tony and Hulk have worked out their issues. Thor has a carryover hammer problem, and a new family member, maybe two if Cul hangs around. Daredevil seems to be settled in San Fran, the GOTG are gone back to space, and the Illuminati are unaffected, except maybe Reed, but he's always in transition anyway.

It feels like a late summer week in the MU where the season is getting tired and about to change to Autumn. Uncanny Avengers have just completed a 2 week vacation so they get back together to chew the cud. I can't see any real fallout from OS doing any damage to the MU as an aftermath.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-10-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Add title and include Aftermath discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Would you say this was worse than Age of Ultron?
    I would say they're about equally bad. Original Sin looks worse because it messed up more classic characters.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrikishaw View Post
    I would say they're about equally bad. Original Sin looks worse because it messed up more classic characters.
    You mean it was an event that actually changed something in the wider MU i.e. what events should be meant to be for; AoU did absolutely nothing. Original Sin was a million times better than AoU.

Default What was the purpose Of The Original Sin Event?

What is the use of Original Sin, other than its mild distraction, giving just passing curiosity to the Heroes, at Fury's ghoulish past time? But immediately after, there is no significant ripple to show for the disturbance. Can we say we could do without OS?

What really came out of OS? Cap knows. Other than that, I can't see a point, unless Bucky solves the Incursions. He won't because Hickman doesn't have Bucky in his bookcase. OS showed Cap the Time Gem, and some future plans. If that is significant, then we may have a ball game. And if it works out OS caused the Time Gem to be back in play, then OS is the trigger point to resolve the Incursions. But why didn't the Time Gem take Cap backwards (instead of forwards to the future), to see what and who caused the Incursions?

If there was no Original Sin, there would be no Time Gem incident.

Fantastic Member

With you on that. An active Cosmic Fury or Barnes is wrong on so many levels.

For example, the very fact that Fury was a moment's gun shot away from offing a future hero - Spiderman - is an illustration that he shouldn't be wielding this level of power. If his 'hunch' that Spidey was going to turn out ok, was so accurate, then such precognitive skills could have been used to solve a whole host of challenges, before they arose. Bottom line is, people like Fury & Barnes are fallible, and depending on hunches to decide whether or not to kill people, is a sad professional requirement.

Well, the readers will determine whether this angle is sellable. Maybe some of us cosmic fury haters will change our minds. I kind of like a Fury who looks like Samuel Jackson, so it's cool that was an intended consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMadeULook View Post

Fantastic Member

Hm, just read this. The series started out pretty great but definitely fizzled out by the end. Yet another event that didn't need to be 8 issues long. It just seemed like the whole event was, "Well, we need to get rid of the original Fury now that we have the new Fury to match up with the movies. Let's do this."

Although I did love Fury's final fate. Depressing and fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Hm, just read this. The series started out pretty great but definitely fizzled out by the end. Yet another event that didn't need to be 8 issues long. It just seemed like the whole event was, "Well, we need to get rid of the original Fury now that we have the new Fury to match up with the movies. Let's do this."

Although I did love Fury's final fate. Depressing and fitting.
    quoted for truth.

I did eventually realise what the Original Sin was.

I was noticing the tantalising proximity of the Black Widow and the Winter Soldier, in OS, from the start at the dinner talking about Bucky slaughtering a cow, and Natasha saying it should have been a bear. Then later, how Bucky and Natasha were both in space on the moon together, but never meeting. (All this with the knowledge Nat lost her memory of Bucky in the Winter Soldier series).

So I was reading the last 3 issues of Original Sin, which were the ones Nick Fury is shown killing the Watcher, and noticing all Fury did was walk around in the blood of those he killed to keep the Earth safe, and the Watcher and Earth were the beneficiaries of Fury slaughtering threats. Fury couldn't live a normal life because he had foregone living, just to slaughter and let everyone live life. Fury stayed knee deep in blood so the rest of humanity didn't. Fury couldn't be human and live and love, like the rest on Earth. The Original Sin was the blood that kept the world spinning. And you could clearly see this had sent Fury crazy.

So I don't know why Black Panther and Dr Strange didn't tell Steve Rogers this story when asked. Were they too embarrassed to be witness that Fury saved everybody from the hard and dirty things, so Everybody could live clean? Steve could have understood that. But Panther and Strange were embarrassed they were the beneficiaries of Fury's slaughter. And then, they had to slaughter other planets later on themselves though didn't they?
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-25-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I did eventually realise what the Original Sin was.

I was noticing the tantalising proximity of the Black Widow and the Winter Soldier, in OS, from the start at the dinner talking about Bucky slaughtering a cow, and Natasha saying it should have been a bear. Then later, how Bucky and Natasha were both in space on the moon together, but never meeting. (All this with the knowledge Nat lost her memory of Bucky in the Winter Soldier series).

So I was reading the last 3 issues of Original Sin, which were the ones Nick Fury is shown killing the Watcher, and noticing all Fury did was walk around in the blood of those he killed to keep the Earth safe, and the Watcher and Earth were the beneficiaries of Fury slaughtering threats. Fury couldn't live a normal life because he had foregone living, just to slaughter and let everyone live life. Fury stayed knee deep in blood so the rest of humanity didn't. Fury couldn't be human and live and love, like the rest on Earth. The Original Sin was the blood that kept the world spinning. And you could clearly see this had sent Fury crazy.

So I don't know why Black Panther and Dr Strange didn't tell Steve Rogers this story when asked. Were they too embarrassed to be witness that Fury saved everybody from the hard and dirty things, so Everybody could live clean? Steve could have understood that. But Panther and Strange were embarrassed they were the beneficiaries of Fury's slaughter. And then, they had to slaughter other planets later on themselves though didn't they?
    I think there a two reasons , first Fury went nuts(he expanded his mission on his own.. farer and farer) and was Cap long friend besides Bucky, the second was they don't trusted each other since they forced Cap out of the Illuminati unknow to Cap himself.

In the end not only forced the Watcher Nick Fury to face his own inner monster and make a decision about it but also sacrificed himself to let the true be known. Means thanks to this Cap remembered what the Illuminati done with him(and other people with other stuff). Which leads than to Doom and Avengers + Aim actions and inventions.

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    I think there a two reasons , first Fury went nuts(he expanded his mission on his own.. farer and farer) and was Cap long friend besides Bucky, the second was they don't trusted each other since they forced Cap out of the Illuminati unknow to Cap himself.

In the end not only forced the Watcher Nick Fury to face his own inner monster and make a decision about it but also sacrificed himself to let the true be known. Means thanks to this Cap remembered what the Illuminati done with him(and other people with other stuff). Which leads than to Doom and Avengers + Aim actions and inventions.
    Yeah there was a flow-on effect of the secrets revealed in Original Sin, especially Cap hunting down the Illuminati in Time Runs Out, and Silks release causing Spider-verse. Certainly Eyeball Man let the Fury teams know Nick was killing everything that threatened the Earth, giving the Watcher a clear conscience and the Avengers clean hands. It sort of makes your whole existence seem tainted when you find out some pretty horrible actions were taken so you came sleep in a comfortable bed at night. Watcher and Avengers just had a sour taste in their mouths after this, and Uatu not being able to live with it, forcing Fury to kill him.

Yeah, I do think the inner demons of the Watcher and Nick Fury eventually precipitated this horrible conclusion of Original Sin. They couldn't hold the secrets any longer and the truth just poured out.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-25-2015 at 09:59 PM.