View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Black Character?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Stewart

33 24.63%
  • Cyborg

12 8.96%
  • Mister Terrific

8 5.97%
  • Vixen

28 20.90%
  • Black Manta

3 2.24%
  • Amanda Waller

8 5.97%
  • Kid Flash

3 2.24%
  • Bronze Tiger

3 2.24%
  • Static

5 3.73%
  • Aqualad

5 3.73%
  • Bumblebee

2 1.49%
  • Steel (I or II)

3 2.24%
  • Black Lightning

10 7.46%
  • The Signal

3 2.24%
  • Other (please specify)

8 5.97%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Im actually surprised Black Lightning isn't doing better than he currently is. He was in 3rd place on the old poll, beating Cyborg and Mr Terrific even.

I'm not surprised John is at #1 again. He dominated the other poll, much like Cass dominated the Asians poll and Jaime dominated the Latinos poll.
    He's not too far behind the 4 spot, he'll probably pull ahead more over time. I think if YJ: Outsiders continues to do the character justice and Batman and the Outsiders does well we could see him shooting up fast.

I'm not wholly surprised John pulled ahead, but Vixen had a pretty big lead early on and up until this recent bump she was able to keep pace and maintain it.

Wallace has been the only real surprise for me so far. I feel bad for the little guy xD
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-08-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

From my personal observations of being a DC fan, I believe John Stewart is easily the most popular black character DC has., and I say that with as little bias as I can muster. More people may be exposed to Cyborg by now, but I don't believe as many people are as passionate about Cyborg as John Stewart. Vixen can contend with John in a poll like this only because, while John is more popular than the other black characters, he is also more disliked because of contentiousness and competition in Green Lantern fandom. Thus, anyone who has something against him even in the slightest will just choose some other black character, even if they are indifferent about that character.

I'm not here for the diminishment of Vixen's popularity for some conspiracy theory that can't be proven.

John Stewart can be disliked but that doesn't mean the individuals who dislike him are somehow only voting for certain black characters to win over him.

They could very well dislike John and have a black character that they do like, it's not a mutually exclusive thing.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Hmmm, I'm fine with with John's fade but I would be more than ok with him growing his hair out. So how about for John we keep his fade, darken it to more of a taper, grow his top more and (bear with me) a beard, preferably his scruffy goatee from White Lantern John, to match BL's as a nod to the familial connection they were supposed to have.

I'm envisioning something along these lines, with the different beard style
    John would look so good like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    John would look so good like this.
    Yeah, when I found this picture immediately thought "oh I gotta get a John Stewart commission with this style in his design"
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I'm not here for the diminishment of Vixen's popularity for some conspiracy theory that can't be proven.

John Stewart can be disliked but that doesn't mean the individuals who dislike him are somehow only voting for certain black characters to win over him.

They could very well dislike John and have a black character that they do like, it's not a mutually exclusive thing.
    Agreed. I voted for Vixen and it was certainly not to spite John. I love John- he's my favorite GL and I absolutely support a John/Vixen relationship even though they would probably never see one another lol. Vixen has been slowly growing in popularity too with her appearances on LoT and also her animated mini-series.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Wish I could pick more than 1. Top 5 for me:

Black Lightning
    Vixen
    Static
    Bumblebee
    John Stewart

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

someone pls post the panel from Green Lantern #87 (John's debut) where he says "THIS BLACK MAN LETS IT ALL HANG OUT!"
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    someone pls post the panel from Green Lantern #87 (John's debut) where he says "THIS BLACK MAN LETS IT ALL HANG OUT!"

well here you go

Last edited by Bluekey89; 06-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey89 View Post
    well here you go

"These aren't any threads James Brown would wear" *tries not to laugh from remembering the Peter Parker Evil Dance*
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Vixen for me.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey89 View Post
    well here you go

Lol...alright John.

I want more John/Vixen interaction.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

Actually it can.

Comicvine did a poll like this and it came down to Black Panther & John Stewart-it became a war zone lead by folks who HATED John with a passion. Who OPENLY let it be known.
    John fans took a stand in not supporting Hal Jordan & TGLC book and was the ONLY fan base lectured about being a real GL fan.

John gets belittled and we see the wave of double standards.
    I have heard that cartoon does not matter from so many "folks" when it's John but when it's Booster Gold, Vixen, Hawkgirl, Manhunter, Hawk & Dove & others who were on there. Different reaction.

John a led on that show gets "WHO CARES if he was a lead that doesn't warrant a solo or usage."
    Deathstroke, Vibe and others GUEST star on shows-"KUDOS for DC for giving those guys solos, minis or USAGE."

Meanwhile we saw Jessica & Simon take Hal's book and JLA spot to ZERO complaints. John gets on that team-HELLO complaints.
    Two times a message board had to be SHUT DOWN because of hatred for a character. Jason Rusch on the old DC board (THE ENTIRE BOARD)-ask Jamal Igle about it. John Stewart's old board before New 52.

There is hatred for John like there is for Duke and Wallace. Because they are viewed as threats.

Vixen is no viewed as a threat. She is a victim of a lack of usage. No excuse for a female to have her own show and star on another one and can only get cameos in books. Not at a time where a TON of black female lead books are out there. Too much money to be made.

Wallace has been the only real surprise for me so far. I feel bad for the little guy xD
    How is that a surprise? He was made to replace somebody. And I don't mean the guy named Wally. Token black teen owned by DC means you don't need Static, Aqualad, Jason and to a lesser point Duke. They already got rid of Hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    From my personal observations of being a DC fan, I believe John Stewart is easily the most popular black character DC has., and I say that with as little bias as I can muster. More people may be exposed to Cyborg by now, but I don't believe as many people are as passionate about Cyborg as John Stewart. Vixen can contend with John in a poll like this only because, while John is more popular than the other black characters, he is also more disliked because of contentiousness and competition in Green Lantern fandom. Thus, anyone who has something against him even in the slightest will just choose some other black character, even if they are indifferent about that character.
    I don't think a comment like this is really far-fetched. A few years back, I remembered there was this poll to vote for a black character so that character can be character of the month on a different website. Many posters I've recognized on there was Hal Jordan fans, which they picked other black characters than John Stewart. Black Panther was leading the polls by far (similar to how Vixen was leading the polls on this thread). John Stewart suddenly caught up and received more votes than Black Panther. Many of those Hal Jordan fan posters started attacking John Stewart fans and accusing them of cheating and finding every excuse on why John shouldn't be leading the polls. So yea, I think there can be some vendetta to diminish the John Stewart character, even if they don't care for other black characters.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually it can.

Comicvine did a poll like this and it came down to Black Panther & John Stewart-it became a war zone lead by folks who HATED John with a passion. Who OPENLY let it be known.
    Ah, I had no idea you mentioned the same poll as I did. That's pretty much the site I was referring to.