View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 702 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2026026526926986997007017027037047057067127528021202 ... LastLast
Results 10,516 to 10,530 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Did he suddenly turn into a good writer or something?
    He didn't. It's as bad as his N52 work.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Everyone seems to have praise for Green Arrow rebirth, but I read vol 8 of the N52 which was written by Percy and it was the worst sort of garbage. Just absolutely horrid, in the "I'll never buy anything this guy writes ever again" sort of way. I mean, man. It was bad. Did he suddenly turn into a good writer or something? How can that be? Doesn't seem possible to me.

Maybe people are just so happy at seeing Ollie have his real personality, his real look, and the Black Canary in the book again that they're overlooking the fact the writing is still ass?
    C'mon, turning into a werewolf in order to understand white privilege is genius eiriting!
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    My top three have been Superman, Detective Comics, and Deathstroke. These are all must-read in my opinion. I've also been enjoying Batman, but from what I've gathered the reactions have been split on this book.
    Again with Deathstroke. Interesting. I'll add it to the list. I'm also heavily pleased no one has said HQ ^^

As for the new Green Arrow, I never read his N52 stuff, but I remember digging his ideas of incorporating horror into his story. Its what he said in interviews anyway.

Not sure how i missed it as i pretty much collected every vertigo book when i collected floppies, but Doom Patrol, as someone who thinks Morrison is very overrated, will i like it? i loved All Star Superman, but on re-reading the Invisibles i pretty much hated it, i don't mind strange stories, but not strange stories just for the sake of it, so Doom Patrol - All Star Superman or Invisibles storytelling?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    i don't mind strange stories, but not strange stories just for the sake of it, so Doom Patrol - All Star Superman or Invisibles storytelling?
    I love Doom Patrol and Morrison, but it's more Invisibles-like. Definitely not more conventional and normal like All-Star and JLA.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I love Doom Patrol and Morrison, but it's more Invisibles-like. Definitely not more conventional and normal like All-Star and JLA.
    I need to read Doom Patrol, but it just keeps getting pushed further and further back...

[QUOTE=Hellboydce;2322532]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post

Don't buy it, I did and ended up selling as it was just too big to read, they will eventually reprint them, especially as Miller is supposed to be writing a new SC book, it is to much of a money spinner for DH not to do a fancy new LE
    I respectfully disagree and would suggest that if you want an oversized copy of Sin City to get the Big Damn book now (yes, I know it's a somewhat of a pain to read).
    Dark Horse doesn't really have a precedent when it comes to reprinting Sin City. Instead, they move on to a different format.
    There was the original tpbs, then the "library collection" which were smaller tpbs, and the nice Library Edition Hardcovers and then Big Damn.
    When the new movie came out it would have been the perfect time to reprint them.
    They didn't. Instead they released one (maybe two??) in a stand alone OHC.
    Now, the stories are being collected in artists editions.
    I don't expect Dark Horse to ever reprint the Library Editions. They've had time (I think they were first published more than 10 years ago) and never have.
    I would love for them to. I'd ditch Big Damn in a minute, but I just don't see it.

As far as a new Sin City story goes, I don't expect that either. At least not any time in the next five years. Miller just isn't what he used to be. He released a few pages/pieces of art years and years ago, but I'm guessing he hasn't completed one issue of the series.

Not sure how i missed it as i pretty much collected every vertigo book when i collected floppies, but Doom Patrol, as someone who thinks Morrison is very overrated, will i like it? i loved All Star Superman, but on re-reading the Invisibles i pretty much hated it, i don't mind strange stories, but not strange stories just for the sake of it, so Doom Patrol - All Star Superman or Invisibles storytelling?
    I think the concepts are very weird but the storytelling and the narrative isn't really. I would say it's closer to animal man but without the family element. Why not try the 1st volume of the new chunky trades?
    BTW the invisibles is not weird for just the sake of it. It has a message, its Morrison' s statement on the world and stuff after he thinks he got abducted by aliens etc etc. DP on the other hand is weird because that's what it's about, the world's strangest superheroes fighting against weird crap the normal heroes don't get to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I need to read Doom Patrol, but it just keeps getting pushed further and further back...
    Same here. I hear non stop good things about it.

[QUOTE=TomSlick;2323163]

I respectfully disagree and would suggest that if you want an oversized copy of Sin City to get the Big Damn book now (yes, I know it's a somewhat of a pain to read).
    Dark Horse doesn't really have a precedent when it comes to reprinting Sin City. Instead, they move on to a different format.
    There was the original tpbs, then the "library collection" which were smaller tpbs, and the nice Library Edition Hardcovers and then Big Damn.
    When the new movie came out it would have been the perfect time to reprint them.
    They didn't. Instead they released one (maybe two??) in a stand alone OHC.
    Now, the stories are being collected in artists editions.
    I don't expect Dark Horse to ever reprint the Library Editions. They've had time (I think they were first published more than 10 years ago) and never have.
    I would love for them to. I'd ditch Big Damn in a minute, but I just don't see it.

As far as a new Sin City story goes, I don't expect that either. At least not any time in the next five years. Miller just isn't what he used to be. He released a few pages/pieces of art years and years ago, but I'm guessing he hasn't completed one issue of the series.
    A good point well made, I think I'm just living in hope, I love sin city but sold the big book as I found it far to cumbersome to read and I don't think it will stand the test of time and will end up in pieces, and I'm just hoping against hope that they do a new fancy release

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think the concepts are very weird but the storytelling and the narrative isn't really. I would say it's closer to animal man but without the family element. Why not try the 1st volume of the new chunky trades?
    BTW the invisibles is not weird for just the sake of it. It has a message, its Morrison' s statement on the world and stuff after he thinks he got abducted by aliens etc etc. DP on the other hand is weird because that's what it's about, the world's strangest superheroes fighting against weird crap the normal heroes don't get to do.
    I'm liking these chunky trades DC are doing, so I will probably get the first one, how is the art? Good or animal man quality

I'm liking these chunky trades DC are doing, so I will probably get the first one, how is the art? Good or animal man quality
    nothing stellar but works well, definitely better than Animal man.
    also, even though it builds on previous DP history (haven't read any but there is clearly a history) Morrison's run ends with everything thrown in and then the kitchen sink with all the plumbing too. So it's clearly an out of continuity version for me even though the JLA appears in one story. (and to be honest that's how I prefer it).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    nothing stellar but works well, definitely better than Animal man.
    also, even though it builds on previous DP history (haven't read any but there is clearly a history) Morrison's run ends with everything thrown in and then the kitchen sink with all the plumbing too. So it's clearly an out of continuity version for me even though the JLA appears in one story. (and to be honest that's how I prefer it).
    It sounds like a strange mess of fun. I wanted to pick up the omni when it was released but I lacked funds. I'll have to pick up those fat trades.

Incredible Member

I finally finished the Perez omnibus last night, my first time with the material. Long story short-- Reputation well deserved. Fantastic overarching story that touches on feminism and equality (obviously), ego, faith (and when faith goes too far), forgiveness etc. Gold standard WW for a reason.

And now I hold out for a Volume 2.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

My problem with Doom Patrol is the characters. They're flat and boring or at worst irritating. And Morrison doesn't do practically any character development. He won't make you like or empathize with or identify with any of them. Sure, some of the plots are wildly creative but that wasn't enough when you don't care about the characters in them. I think I got 400 pages deep then gave up. Haven't gone back since. I do plan to try it again someday, though.