Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Anyone looking for another confidence boost regarding this movie?

Over on the DCEU thread in the DC board, we had two posters who got to see an advanced screening day before yesterday.

One of them has HATED every DCEU film except for Wonder Woman. The other one has liked all four films to date.

Guess what? They BOTH loved this movie! This movie may not only be good, but it may just heal the rift in our fanbase.

Grrrrr! I can't believe I have to wait til Friday to finally see this!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Anyone looking for another confidence boost regarding this movie?

Over on the DCEU thread in the DC board, we had two posters who got to see an advanced screening day before yesterday.

One of them has HATED every DCEU film except for Wonder Woman. The other one has liked all four films to date.

Guess what? They BOTH loved this movie! This movie may not only be good, but it may just heal the rift in our fanbase.

Grrrrr! I can't believe I have to wait til Friday to finally see this!
    I am talking to one of them right now as to how WW was portrayed (competently or incompetently) and I ain't that impressed. That's all I will say; I will not spoil anybody. I am crossing my fingers about Diana's portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    I am talking to one of them right now as to how WW was portrayed (competently or incompetently) and I ain't that impressed. That's all I will say; I will not spoil anybody. I am crossing my fingers about Diana's portrayal.
    If the spoilers I've read are accurate, I am not going to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    You have pretty much summed it up. Lets hope they are not that predictable but chances are, they are.

I have been PMMing a couple people from the DC forum who HAS watched the movie.
    Wait...you two with premature negativity? WHHHHAAAAAHHHHH??
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.co...ntroversy/amp/

What do you guys think? I feel there wasn’t a need for changing their armor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

Eh. Context is important here, and we won't know what that context is until we see the movie.

Maybe those Amazons are "off duty" and just relaxing or something. Maybe those Amazons are a special unit of warriors who keep their clothing to a minimum for speed and flexibility. (Far fetched, that one, I know.) Maybe those Amazons are from the flashback scene and it's meant to show that the Amazons' clothing styles have evolved over the millennia. Heck, maybe the Amazons are just individualists and individual Amazons wear whatever they want.

There don't appear to be any scantily-clad Amazons in the Themiscyra scene where Steppenwolf shows up, so it's not like EVERY Amazon in this movie is dressed like this.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

They wore similar armor in Wonder Woman. Someone picked the two photos in the story specifically to manufacture a controversy.

6FF8E3D4-BAB4-447B-A523-D9C1B324F81D.jpg

Incredible Member

I don't know enough about the events of Justice League to judge. It's possible the "bikini" armour is than day-to-day clothing as opposed to their functional, "I'm going into battle against powerful opponents so I'll armour-up" clothing. BUT, it looks suspiciously "armoured" for day-to-day wear and is different to the ordinary or training clothing worn by the Amazons in Wonder Woman.

It does seem to be yet another instance of ridiculous "bikini armour" for female characters. And this would be more tolerable for me if the Atlantean male soldiers fought battle in armoured speedos (equal opportunity eye-candy would be preferable). Or if ANY male character ran into battle in clothing which didn't cover them from neck to toe. Even Aquaman's DoJ design, in which he was shirtless, was ditched for full coverage armour for Justice League and the solo Aquaman film.

I just don't understand how film-makers can line up two "armies", one made up of females dressed in little more than bikinis and one made up of males in more traditional, full-body armour and think that it's okay. In Wonder Woman, the German attack was unexpected, so I don't even think the Amazons were wearing their "full" armour, but it was still more practical than bikinis (maybe the Amazons have a contingent of soldiers who are always on-guard (dressed and armed) to defend Themyscira).

Some of the actors playing Amazons have come forward and said that they felt comfortable and that they weren't subject to any improper conduct on set. They're also proud to display their strong physiques. I fully respect that, but I still think it's a double standard. Either there need to be equally undressed male characters or everyone should be provided with the same type of armour when going into battle. When relaxing and training on Themyscira, which seemed to have a tropical climate, then it's A-OK for the Amazons to wear as little as they want in their matriarchal society. But, if we're expected to believe that Hippolyta sounded the horns of battle, ordered her elite army to prepare themselves to fight dangerous and powerful opponents and they all showed up in bikinis and sandals, then I have a problem. I'll know more in approximately 6 hours when I get to see Justice League!

Is it just me or is this about Amazons not wearing armor at a period were copper or even leather armor could be said to be hypertecnology?

On another note Snyder has shown to make movies with some theme towards some kind of cult of the body, like in 300 or watchmen
    Last edited by Agniwolf; 11-14-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Incredible Member

Do we have a spoiler thread for discussion about Wonder Woman in Justice League?

I’d like to read other people’s impressions. Personally, I was mostly happy. Given it is a team film, I’m not sure they could let Diana shine too brightly above the others.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    Is it just me or is this about Amazons not wearing armor at a period were copper or even leather armor could be said to be hypertecnology?

On another note Snyder has shown to make movies with some theme towards some kind of cult of the body, like in 300 or watchmen
    The problem for me is, it just looks stupid. Like don't on the one hand try and sell them as elite warriors, but then stick them in armor that leaves ONE OF THE MOST VULNERABLE PARTS OF THEIR BODIES (there are lots of important organs inside the chest and torso areas after all) completely exposed. The contrast just looks, dumb.

It's the same as in 300 (the actual Spartans did not fight bare-chested, they were covered nearly head to toe in armor and had a big helmets and thick shields as well).

It's also like when Jim Lee redesigned Huntress costume to make it have bicycle shorts and a big stomach window, AFTER she'd gotten shot in the stomach by The Joker and nearly died. Not only did it look so much worse than her old one, but it made her look stupid as well.

And given Snyder's track record with stuff like sucker punch and Watchmen, people aren't inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The problem for me is, it just looks stupid. Like don't on the one hand try and sell them as elite warriors, but then stick them in armor that leaves ONE OF THE MOST VULNERABLE PARTS OF THEIR BODIES (there are lots of important organs inside the chest and torso areas after all) completely exposed. The contrast just looks, dumb.
    I'm going to reserve judgment 'til after I see the movie, but I mostly agree with you. It'll be really gross if the majority of the amazons are wearing bikini armor in this movie when in Wonder Woman, they were all covered. I know people love to say that they had similar costumes in WW with the midsection exposed, but I haven't seen any screengrabs and I've seen the movie a lot.

Edit: I'm watching Grace Randolph's review and she says the change in costumes for the amazons is "jarring." If it's that noticeable then it will be problematic for sure.

Ultimate Member

Well also it doesn't help that I just saw Thor: Ragnarok and Valkyrie got to be awesome and stay covered up. Also they wouldn't have done this if these were MALE warriors I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well also it doesn't help that I just saw Thor: Ragnarok and Valkyrie got to be awesome and stay covered up. Also they wouldn't have done this if these were MALE warriors I'm sure.
    Look at Zeus in JL. He's wearing less. Oh, and then there was that little move 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I don't know enough about the events of Justice League to judge. It's possible the "bikini" armour is than day-to-day clothing as opposed to their functional, "I'm going into battle against powerful opponents so I'll armour-up" clothing. BUT, it looks suspiciously "armoured" for day-to-day wear and is different to the ordinary or training clothing worn by the Amazons in Wonder Woman.

It does seem to be yet another instance of ridiculous "bikini armour" for female characters. And this would be more tolerable for me if the Atlantean male soldiers fought battle in armoured speedos (equal opportunity eye-candy would be preferable). Or if ANY male character ran into battle in clothing which didn't cover them from neck to toe. Even Aquaman's DoJ design, in which he was shirtless, was ditched for full coverage armour for Justice League and the solo Aquaman film.

I just don't understand how film-makers can line up two "armies", one made up of females dressed in little more than bikinis and one made up of males in more traditional, full-body armour and think that it's okay. In Wonder Woman, the German attack was unexpected, so I don't even think the Amazons were wearing their "full" armour, but it was still more practical than bikinis (maybe the Amazons have a contingent of soldiers who are always on-guard (dressed and armed) to defend Themyscira).

Some of the actors playing Amazons have come forward and said that they felt comfortable and that they weren't subject to any improper conduct on set. They're also proud to display their strong physiques. I fully respect that, but I still think it's a double standard. Either there need to be equally undressed male characters or everyone should be provided with the same type of armour when going into battle. When relaxing and training on Themyscira, which seemed to have a tropical climate, then it's A-OK for the Amazons to wear as little as they want in their matriarchal society. But, if we're expected to believe that Hippolyta sounded the horns of battle, ordered her elite army to prepare themselves to fight dangerous and powerful opponents and they all showed up in bikinis and sandals, then I have a problem. I'll know more in approximately 6 hours when I get to see Justice League!
    as for the provided armor, standard armor was something incorporated during the roman empire, before that (and after) every soldier was responsible for their own equipment, with the exception of officials and some other exceptions, so you could very well se a guy with body armor beside the guy who has an helmet, a shield and a spear