Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I at least appreciate the roll calls for Justice League and Legion of Doom memberships.

Teases from JL #24
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

I wonder if Scott would ever write something with Super Sons.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The Justice League #21 preview's out!

I'm guessing Gold "Superman" is the World Forger.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I highkey appreciate how absurd a lot of the stuff going on is. I usually hate the babbling about ridiculous backstpry crap that makes no sense, but it's so earnest here. There's also so much action and adventure that it balances out.

Mera being a full-fledged JLer is just too great to pass up, for this reader. Long live the queen!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I highkey appreciate how absurd a lot of the stuff going on is. I usually hate the babbling about ridiculous backstory crap that makes no sense, but it's so earnest here. There's also so much action and adventure that it balances out.

Mera being a full-fledged JLer is just too great to pass up, for this reader. Long live the queen!
    That's what I appreciate about Snyder's work, he always comes off very earnest. You can feel he genuinely just wants to share his story, it doesn't feel cynical or like he's drinking his own kool-aid like some of the other big writers.

currently following:

Really dug this issue, I've been lowkey iffy on the World Forger idea but, after seeing him actually doing stuff, I really like the character. I was wondering why he would be impersonating Superman, but it actually makes sense
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

I've been digging on this run. I like the principle cast a lot and find this to be the best thing Snyder has put out, at least as far as what my tastes are - it's my favorite Snyder story ever at this point. We'll see if he sticks the landings but it's obviously still like, the middle of the story and the end transitions back to "Event". But right now, yeah, loving it.

I like this run for a lot of reasons but the big bit for me is that like the best of Rebirth books, it's holistically integrating a lot of elements into a cohesive whole. We've got the cast that is highly, highly reminiscent of the Justice League Animated Series to the point where I tend to read them with their JL/JLU voices. There's a fair amount of Silver Age and Early Bronze pastiche going on with the important inclusion of Starro - the First Justice Foe - in a new way. There's the overt Super Friends riffs - the Legion of Doom, the Hall of Doom, the Hall of Justice. So that's all mixed in a blender. But then more than that ... the vibe itself of the story, the crazy big DC multiversal weirdness is like straight outta Morrison's JLA run. I also think Snyder's tendency for big grand cosmic writerly narration fits these cosmic level events better even than intimate Gotham-based storytelling.

This last issue was slick. The art has been great and consistent. I'm not sure I'm actually digging on the World Forger's design but I guess I might see him next to Monty and Anti-Monty and change my mind. Still curious about the 5th Dimensional Imp aspects of this storyline, too, but it's pretty fun to see the odd couple of Mera and Starman holding the fort.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the Primordial Forces thus far
    Flash: Still Force
    Green Lantern: Invisible Spectrum
    Aquaman: secrets of the Life Force & Tear of Extinction
    Wonder Woman: Graveyard of Gods
    Superman: 6th Dimension
    Batman:
    Martian Manhunter/Hawkgirl:
    This seems to be a repackaged version of John Byrne's ideas from Genesis especially the part about the various gods and the Speed Force/Green Lantern power coming from the same primordial source. Of course Byrne also included the Quantum Field from Captain Atom.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 04-06-2019 at 10:35 AM.

BANNED

In my opinion one of the worst JLA runs in history

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    In my opinion one of the worst JLA runs in history
    Hmm, good thing it's Justice League then anyway, you're on the wrong thread my friend. This is an appreciation and discussion thread, you're neither appreciating nor adding anything productive to the discourse. If you'd like you could start a "Snyder's Justice League criticism or dislike" thread

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    This seems to be a repackaged version of John Byrne's ideas from Genesis especially the part about the various gods and the Speed Force/Green Lantern power coming from the same primordial source. Of course Byrne also included the Quantum Field from Captain Atom.
    I haven't read that story but from what I understand didn't that deal more with the Godwave and the New Gods? I'm not really seeing the parallel :/

currently following:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I haven't read that story but from what I understand didn't that deal more with the Godwave and the New Gods? I'm not really seeing the parallel
    That is only one part of it. It also tied the Speed Force/Green Lantern power/Quantum field together (with the various gods). That innovation is clearly mirrored in what Snyder has done here with divinity/life/speed force/emotional spectrum/etc all being connected.

I’m really curious to see what Lex’s “pitch” is going to be.

Mighty Member

This is my favorite JL run, right next to Morrison. The scale is huge, and I love cosmic stories. I really like how Snyder uses obscure characters and elements of the DCU.

Mxy going full meta-textual was awesome to see. Really puts him above any character, power wise.