Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it time to bring back the DC Animated Universe?

The DCAU is one of the most beloved shared universes and ended naturally when it did in 2006. However, it's been a long time since, and I feel like the potential is there for a revival of the DCAU. This may even be happening -- the movie Justice League vs. the Fatal Five, released earlier this year, is part of the franchise.

Here's how I would do it:
    • The platform is HBO Max, the big streaming service for WarnerMedia, while also airing on DC Universe. As a streaming series, this means no getting screwed by the network, more lenient standards for edgy content, no middleman, and better opportunities for storytelling.
    • Get as many of the old cast back as possible, while also adding new talent to the mix.
    • The old stories are canon, but not referenced too often, to keep the feeling fresh.
    • The revived DCAU takes elements of different stories told that the DCAU didn't cover, such as various Post-Crisis, Rebirth, AUs, and other stories, distilled in a unique mythos.
    • For the shows themselves, it should be a mix of old and new. Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, and of course, Justice League are a must for the old. For the new, I would want a Wonder Woman series for sure. Others I'd like to see are ones they considered doing but didn't for whatever reason, including Catwoman, Teen Titans, Zatanna, Lobo, and The Question. I feel like all of these have potential to bring in different flavors to the DCAU.

What do you think?

I'd only be okay with it if it didn't distract from newer products. In general they should focus on current, new visions first. If there's time/money/opportunity to spare, it wouldn't hurt anything. But as far as major focus, overall the Timm era had its time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Like a reboot? As long as Batgirl doesn't date Batman again and the Beyond verse is less depressing I'm cool.

BANNED

The DCAU never gets old. I still love it and always will!

That said...I'm not sure if I'd want it to return, because...of how much I value it, I think. I'm not sure if it would present things as I'd like to see them after so long. For example, what would happen to a character like Wally West? Would he still be able to go on being The Flash, or would DC or whoever try to do something to him because he's not The Flash they want. Likewise, regarding John Stewart, I fear Timm, DC, or whoever would try to shove in all these other Earth Lanterns, which would ultimately undermine John Stewart. Even though people would try to act like it wouldn't, it would. They already showed this somewhat by bringing in Jessica Cruz in that Fatal Five thing. I see the DCAU as John Stewart's stomping grounds. It's about all he has. They don't let him do crap in the comics, at least let him have that without all these other GL's trying to elbow their ways in on his territory. For some reason, I just feel like that would for sure happen.

What's more is that I haven't liked Bruce Timm's output lately.

I've become rather dispassionate about DC characters, but strangely, I still do love the DCAU, and if it came back, I think I'd worry just as much as I'd be excited. I guess I have mixed feelings about it. I think there's a good chance things would just not go the way I'd want them to, but there are still some threads left by JLU that can be tied up, and it would be good to see that.

If it will bring forth the long-rumored sixth season of Teen Titans, then I would totally support it.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-07-2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Nope. Bringing it back now will only make it lesser in the long tun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    The DCAU -- the movie Justice League vs. the Fatal Five, released earlier this year, is part of the franchise.
    How were sales and buzz on the Justice League vs. the Fatal Five Movie, which continued the franchise?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...League-returns
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-07-2019 at 07:09 AM.

I'd rather they start a new animated universe with someone new at the reigns.

Im really suprised we dont atleast have Batman and Justice League cartoons at the moment. And I'm sure other properties like WonderWoman or Supersons could support their own shows too. Seems like a wasted oppertunity.

Pass. The DCAU had its time but that’s over. And the people involved haven’t maintained the same level of quality since, so I really doubt that their return would be as good. Plus there’s a lot of choices baked into the DCAU that I don’t like and am not anxious to see returned.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Absolutely!

Even just to move away from the atrocious art design on the DC Animated movies that begun, I think, when they decided to put them in a shared universe.

As for starting a new animated universe, I suppose, but we're not really seeing anyone step up to the plate.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Not without Dwayne MacDuffie, so no - I'd rather that stay in the past and they just give us a new iteration of the animated DCU. The Nu52 one needs to end - it seems dated at this point.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not without Dwayne MacDuffie, so no - I'd rather that stay in the past and they just give us a new iteration of the animated DCU. The Nu52 one needs to end - it seems dated at this point.
    At this point? The comics themselves moved away from the New 52 years ago. Very soon after the animated movies adopted that aesthetic, if I recall correctly.

I would be all for a new animated series or three but, honestly, when it comes to films, I would prefer they be left to standalone. The early films in this line were so much better because they were allowed to be distinctive.

I feel the same way about the live-action movies, actually.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Empty is thy hand!

Revivals rarely work. We don't want another "Batman and Harley Quinn." It's not worth it to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's not even really reflective of the New 52 anymore.

I mean, have you seen the Titans? Death/Reign? They did Hush and put Batman in trunks. People just keep assuming that it's a New 52 animated universe because they started adapting those stories/designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not even really reflective of the New 52 anymore.

I mean, have you seen the Titans? Death/Reign? They did Hush and put Batman in trunks. People just keep assuming that it's a New 52 animated universe because they started adapting those stories/designs.
    That was just a short-hand term since that's where it started, I was just referring to whatever the new somewhat interconnected animated series of films are called. And I don't think they're bad, I just want them to open it up more and move away from those designs and get better animation.