Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Indeed I mean come on Strange has more firepower in one finger then punisher carries around on a regular basis. Strange can basically one shot all of Punisher's foes while the Punisher cannot do crap to any of Stranges. I mean sure the buddy comedy dynamic works but I am not seeing it here.
    Yeah, I was laughing at that panel where Punisher is jabbing his finger at Dr. Strange. He could so be turned into Punisher Frog. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    On the basis of that Strange art, I guess I'm going to have to pick up Original Sin as it hits rather than waiting collected. I've forgotten how much I enjoy Deodato's Strange and the chatter here and elsewhere sounds fun. And WS and MK together. That's going to be interesting to say the least.
    I'm mostly looking forward to Deodato's art, and him being the only artist on the series. So tried of Marvel's revolving artist trend.

And yes, at least the Winter Soldier team is on the same page, as far as skills and type of character. Should be interesting.

Fantastic Member

Man, I am trying to be patient with NA. I was extremely disappointed that yesterday's issue only had Strange flashing in one panel, flashing glowing eyes another panel, and then just standing in the background. I think Bruce Banner got more dialogue in his pages than Strange has gotten in 18 issues (although you might have to exclude issue 15, where he actually got something to do) Sigh.

When is the NA Annual coming out? July? My google skills are not effective, every time I try to find out I get all these previous versions of NA.

Have to hope that Original Sins next week has more than the released pages to offer. I love my old issues of Strange, but I would really like to have something new and more than a panel to look at. It does seem that the critters that Strange and Punisher are looking at are awfully similar to the ones BP, Emma and Ant Man find. Crossing my fingers that I might have something new and interesting to discuss next week. Pretty please, Marvel.

Magick is Everywhere

Showing my support for the Sorcerer Supreme.
    QFT; long time Dr. Strange fan.

I'd add "A Separate Reality" TPB to the Recommended Reading list. How he becomes Sorcerer Supreme by making the toughest choice of his life, Baron Mordo and confronting GOD(?) and his first battle with Silver Dagger. Awesome book.

BANNED

Big fan of Doctor Strange his character, mythos and supporting cast. My only complaint I wish writers would stop reusing the old Strange uses forbidden magic, gets corrupted and soul searches again. Its as if writers are in this united mindset thats the only type of character story worth telling.

Fantastic Member

I just hope this whole recent soul selling stuff actually leads to something. I imagine it will be big when the NA actually get around to being in the same comic with the Great Society, but I hope it doesn't just burn out his new god level power and then his life is forfeit. So he is back-burnered until the NA get around to saving him by finding out who actually buys his soul, and fights to get it back. But that is worst case scenario. It does seem that writers can only deal with Strange if they de-power him or corrupt him.

Still think there is a gold mine out there if they told some stories that dealt with his time in the War of Seven Spheres. A couple thousand years of war should have lead Strange to meet lots of different species in multiple dimensions.

I'd like to actually have Hickman really write for Strange, so I can figure out if I like his take on him. I hear so many good things about him as a writer I keep hoping that he might turn his attention to the good Doctor, but his priorities seem to be on a couple other members of the NA for the most part.

Crossing fingers for ComicCon to review about a Doctor Strange movie, because if it does, I can kind of project when Marvel might give Doc his own mini-series at least.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Yeah, I was laughing at that panel where Punisher is jabbing his finger at Dr. Strange. He could so be turned into Punisher Frog. ;P

I'm mostly looking forward to Deodato's art, and him being the only artist on the series. So tried of Marvel's revolving artist trend.

And yes, at least the Winter Soldier team is on the same page, as far as skills and type of character. Should be interesting.
    LOL Punisher Frog!!! Now that image will be stuck in my head for awhile (Not that I mind ) Somehow, I think Stephen would be a little bit more patient with Frank, but that is one funny darn visual. I hope to pick up OS 1 and 2 whenever All New Invaders comes out (? I was expecting this month...)

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Man, I am trying to be patient with NA. I was extremely disappointed that yesterday's issue only had Strange flashing in one panel, flashing glowing eyes another panel, and then just standing in the background. I think Bruce Banner got more dialogue in his pages than Strange has gotten in 18 issues (although you might have to exclude issue 15, where he actually got something to do) Sigh.

When is the NA Annual coming out? July? My google skills are not effective, every time I try to find out I get all these previous versions of NA.

Have to hope that Original Sins next week has more than the released pages to offer. I love my old issues of Strange, but I would really like to have something new and more than a panel to look at. It does seem that the critters that Strange and Punisher are looking at are awfully similar to the ones BP, Emma and Ant Man find. Crossing my fingers that I might have something new and interesting to discuss next week. Pretty please, Marvel.
    I've found June as a release date for the New Avengers annual. Hopefully we'll see something else here soon. As a Strange and Namor fan, I am perplexed as to why Hickman is barely using them in NA. Shrugs, I hope we see more in their respective turns (Strange in OS and Namor in All New Invaders.) It would be nice to talk about them.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the info, I too, am looking forward to being able to have a discussion about Strange that doesn't involve distant memories.

BANNED

New Avengers Annual comes out June 4, if Marvel.com is right. And I am SO looking forward to it. Gorgeous art! A whole issue about Dr. Strange! YESSSS!

Yep, count me doubly disappointed in this week's New Avengers, yet again. As you said, the previously posted art is all we got of Dr. Strange. And is one word balloon consisted of incomprehensible rune / magic speak. Here it is again.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro
    Zero explanation or exploration or commentary of Strange selling his soul. And yes, we now have Bruce Banner (and I guess Maximus) on the team, so there's even less pages to go around. But forget him. I honestly think the Dr. Fate analog, the Norn, has gotten more dialog and accomplished more than Strange. It's beyond ridiculous, now. I'm seriously thinking of dropping this book.

I think we will get more than those two pages in the preview. Allegedly, this issue is supposed to make everyone want a Strange / Punisher buddy book. At least, I think it was this issue. Regardless, I'm somewhat skeptical of that, but I'm all for seeing more Deodato Strange, especially if he's actually doing something useful. And since it appears they are in a dark dimension, we should get Strange in his element.

What about the Mindless Ones? Do you think we'll see Dorammu or Umar as a murder victim? Will we get an appearance from Clea?

I just hope this whole recent soul selling stuff actually leads to something. I imagine it will be big when the NA actually get around to being in the same comic with the Great Society, but I hope it doesn't just burn out his new god level power and then his life is forfeit. So he is back-burnered until the NA get around to saving him by finding out who actually buys his soul, and fights to get it back. But that is worst case scenario. It does seem that writers can only deal with Strange if they de-power him or corrupt him.
    =_=

I WILL drop this book if Hickman trashes Strange again and leaves him incapacitated for the rest of the story. Though, now that you mention it, the Norn had to draw on the power of other versions on himself and destroyed them, didn't he? And I honestly don't think Hickman is taking any side trips for any characters but T'challa -- I mean, Marvel has someone else writing the annual issue that will deal with Strange after his soul is sold. So I doubt there would be any rescue mission to save him in New Avengers. Yeah, not looking good.

I think it's more a theme with modern writers. There was some of that in the older stories, but most of it seemed to be about magical adventure and protecting the Earth, like a Sorcerer Supreme would.

Still think there is a gold mine out there if they told some stories that dealt with his time in the War of Seven Spheres. A couple thousand years of war should have lead Strange to meet lots of different species in multiple dimensions.

I'd like to actually have Hickman really write for Strange, so I can figure out if I like his take on him. I hear so many good things about him as a writer I keep hoping that he might turn his attention to the good Doctor, but his priorities seem to be on a couple other members of the NA for the most part.
    Despite what Hickman says, I don't think New Avengers is his best Marvel work -- Fantastic Four is. Eventually, we'll get something with Strange, but it will be mostly plot motivated.

War of the Seven Spheres has plenty of story fodder, but I think he can also do that now, in the present. There's nothing preventing Strange from having adventures in other dimensions now. The plus of doing so, is that he can have more familiar guest stars, that might bring in more readers.

Crossing fingers for ComicCon to review about a Doctor Strange movie, because if it does, I can kind of project when Marvel might give Doc his own mini-series at least.
    I was saying this earlier about Namor, that's is a sad situation at Marvel, that most characters have to have a movie / TV show to get any kind of comic book support or interest from editorial. Dr. Strange should be a major player in the MU, with an ongoing book to anchor the magical side of the MU. In a world that makes Harry Potter a cultural phenomena, and fantasy video games rooted in magic, how can you NOT have a successful Dr. Strange book?

BANNED

And something more positive from New Avengers.

Valerio Schiti's character sketch for Dr. Strange. Love the expression and that little minimalist face. From his tumblr.

http://valerioschiti.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

June 4th? Great, closer than I had hoped. I think between that and OS it may be all I have to look forward to for a very long time. I am truly getting the feel that Hickman only has Strange there because he can't figure out a good enough excuse to have him leave. It would be the lack of respect towards characters not BP than the slow story telling that is going to lead to me dropping NA. Team books should share the spotlight a little more evenly, in my opinion. But it's not like I have any alternative in an on going.

BANNED

LOL Punisher Frog!!! Now that image will be stuck in my head for awhile (Not that I mind ) Somehow, I think Stephen would be a little bit more patient with Frank, but that is one funny darn visual. I hope to pick up OS 1 and 2 whenever All New Invaders comes out (? I was expecting this month...)
    Yes, you're right. Strange ran the Defenders for years without turning anyone into a frog. I'm sure he has plenty of patience with the Punisher.

I'm trading codes and trade waiting for Original Sin, if it's good and Marvel doesn't tick me with off with Fury's fate. Yep, I thinking Invaders comes out the same week of the New Avengers Annual, but I could be wrong.

I've found June as a release date for the New Avengers annual. Hopefully we'll see something else here soon. As a Strange and Namor fan, I am perplexed as to why Hickman is barely using them in NA. Shrugs, I hope we see more in their respective turns (Strange in OS and Namor in All New Invaders.) It would be nice to talk about them.
    When I'm not wallowing in whinery, I know why Hickman is giving Strange and Namor (and well most everyone) short shrift -- it's not the story he wants to tell, and he's pushing T'challa. I just wish he and Marvel had said so in the beginning instead of selling the book as an Illuminati team book. And that they'd give us a Strange book, where we COULD read about him.

June 4th? Great, closer than I had hoped. I think between that and OS it may be all I have to look forward to for a very long time. I am truly getting the feel that Hickman only has Strange there because he can't figure out a good enough excuse to have him leave. It would be the lack of respect towards characters not BP than the slow story telling that is going to lead to me dropping NA. Team books should share the spotlight a little more evenly, in my opinion. But it's not like I have any alternative in an on going.
    I don't know. He got rid of Captain America pretty quick.

That, and spending issueS on alt Illuminati that I don't give a hoot about, while we get next to nothing about the characters I'm buying the book for. It's frustrating, doubly so, since, as you said, there's not really been another place to read about Strange.

Speaking of ... did anyone pick up that Uncanny Avengers Annual? Was it like the Thunderbolts annual as far as Strange's appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMage View Post
    QFT; long time Dr. Strange fan.

I'd add "A Separate Reality" TPB to the Recommended Reading list. How he becomes Sorcerer Supreme by making the toughest choice of his life, Baron Mordo and confronting GOD(?) and his first battle with Silver Dagger. Awesome book.
    Englehart and Frank Brunner just can't be beat.

A big THANK YOU! I'll add to the post.

And please, if anyone has a favorite arc or collection to recommend, or website, post it and I'll add it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Big fan of Doctor Strange his character, mythos and supporting cast. My only complaint I wish writers would stop reusing the old Strange uses forbidden magic, gets corrupted and soul searches again. Its as if writers are in this united mindset thats the only type of character story worth telling.
    It's a common plot for characters dealing with great power, but hard to reconcile with the never ending continuity of the MU, when it happens repeatedly.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 05-17-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Merged

BANNED

It just feels to fresh especially considering we just came out of a Strange using forbidden magic from WWH and New Avengers by Bendis. Hickman could write a number of scenarios with Strange as Sorcerer Supreme with the right execution.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

New Avengers Annual comes out June 4, if Marvel.com is right. And I am SO looking forward to it. Gorgeous art! A whole issue about Dr. Strange! YESSSS!

Yep, count me doubly disappointed in this week's New Avengers, yet again. As you said, the previously posted art is all we got of Dr. Strange. And is one word balloon consisted of incomprehensible rune / magic speak. Here it is again.

Zero explanation or exploration or commentary of Strange selling his soul. And yes, we now have Bruce Banner (and I guess Maximus) on the team, so there's even less pages to go around. But forget him. I honestly think the Dr. Fate analog, the Norn, has gotten more dialog and accomplished more than Strange. It's beyond ridiculous, now. I'm seriously thinking of dropping this book.

I think we will get more than those two pages in the preview. Allegedly, this issue is supposed to make everyone want a Strange / Punisher buddy book. At least, I think it was this issue. Regardless, I'm somewhat skeptical of that, but I'm all for seeing more Deodato Strange, especially if he's actually doing something useful. And since it appears they are in a dark dimension, we should get Strange in his element.

What about the Mindless Ones? Do you think we'll see Dorammu or Umar as a murder victim? Will we get an appearance from Clea?

=_=

I WILL drop this book if Hickman trashes Strange again and leaves him incapacitated for the rest of the story. Though, now that you mention it, the Norn had to draw on the power of other versions on himself and destroyed them, didn't he? And I honestly don't think Hickman is taking any side trips for any characters but T'challa -- I mean, Marvel has someone else writing the annual issue that will deal with Strange after his soul is sold. So I doubt there would be any rescue mission to save him in New Avengers. Yeah, not looking good.

I think it's more a theme with modern writers. There was some of that in the older stories, but most of it seemed to be about magical adventure and protecting the Earth, like a Sorcerer Supreme would.

Despite what Hickman says, I don't think New Avengers is his best Marvel work -- Fantastic Four is. Eventually, we'll get something with Strange, but it will be mostly plot motivated.

War of the Seven Spheres has plenty of story fodder, but I think he can also do that now, in the present. There's nothing preventing Strange from having adventures in other dimensions now. The plus of doing so, is that he can have more familiar guest stars, that might bring in more readers.

I was saying this earlier about Namor, that's is a sad situation at Marvel, that most characters have to have a movie / TV show to get any kind of comic book support or interest from editorial. Dr. Strange should be a major player in the MU, with an ongoing book to anchor the magical side of the MU. In a world that makes Harry Potter a cultural phenomena, and fantasy video games rooted in magic, how can you NOT have a successful Dr. Strange book?
    I completely agree with the bold. I've been baffled by absolutely no attempts to work the Marvel U magic into new books > the only excuse I can think of are the fact that most of the higher ups are street/crime/noir fans and loathe deus ex machina (which Strange really has not relied on for a long, long time.) It's just sad.

I know the new (and thoroughly disappointing to me anyway) Moon Knight run is clearly an attempt to get some sort of live action thing going, but with the backing of Disney and thousands of characters and sandboxes to play in, why Marvel does not do more with Stephen, Namor and other characters and realms which could add to the Marvel U now just boggles my mind. I mean Disney has all kinds of magical characters...

/end rant..

And something more positive from New Avengers.

Valerio Schiti's character sketch for Dr. Strange. Love the expression and that little minimalist face. From his tumblr.

http://valerioschiti.tumblr.com/
    Thanks for posting more of Schiti's character designs. There's a nice mirth to Stephen.

Yes, you're right. Strange ran the Defenders for years without turning anyone into a frog. I'm sure he has plenty of patience with the Punisher.

I'm trading codes and trade waiting for Original Sin, if it's good and Marvel doesn't tick me with off with Fury's fate. Yep, I thinking Invaders comes out the same week of the New Avengers Annual, but I could be wrong.

When I'm not wallowing in whinery, I know why Hickman is giving Strange and Namor (and well most everyone) short shrift -- it's not the story he wants to tell, and he's pushing T'challa. I just wish he and Marvel had said so in the beginning instead of selling the book as an Illuminati team book. And that they'd give us a Strange book, where we COULD read about him.
    Punisher Frog is pretty awesome (imagines the Ribbit sounding like machine gun fire.) Re: Hickman, I thought it was clearly T'challa's book, thanks for elaborating on that. I agree with you, Marvel should have come clean on that.

I do hope we get a Strange book long before any film is greenlit. If they want to do magic right, take some time to set it up.

I'm on the fence with Original Sin. I like the idea of it, but am kind of backing away > as I've been burned by way too many bad Marvel events and I'm nervous about Nick Fury Sr. too. But I hope there's some interesting things with Stephen going on in OS.

Thanks for the ANI update > you're probably right since there are two issues in July.

And I hope Hickman does not trash Strange again. I was pretty annoyed when I heard Stephen sold his soul given the type of mystical stuff Hickman's written in the past. Oh well, I just hope Namor and Stephen get some good character time in that book soon.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I picked up Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment. Looking forward to reading it.

As quite a few here know, I'm totally the Brother/Doctor Voodoo guy! So an excuse to post these two magicians together! Heh...

I'd love to write a buddy book of them solving problems together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I picked up Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment. Looking forward to reading it.
    You're in for a treat! Is that the new paperback edition with the Mignola Namor stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    As quite a few here know, I'm totally the Brother/Doctor Voodoo guy! So an excuse to post these two magicians together! Heh...

I'd love to write a buddy book of them solving problems together.
    That could be a cool book. And one that doesn't rely on deconstructing or corrupting either character. Who would you see on the art?