Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lol I was looking for this thread the other day because it's totally, yeah, it's all but confirmed now that Jon and Damian are holding onto Superboy and Robin as their birthrights. I mean, this just straight up confirms it, I feel.

I thought Tim's identity was going to be a gag based on how the solicit was written, but, nah, it's totally legit. I just wonder what Bendis wants to call Conner now? I mean, Tim is less hard because he's changed his name before, but this will be a first for Conner. I wonder if Conner will change his costume same as Tim?

Or maybe it may just be as simple Conner keeping the Superboy name because Jon will mostly going back and forth from the present and future like the classic Superboy? Or maybe he'll be Guardian like we all assumed?
    I'm going to laugh if Bendis goes for the throwback and calls him "Raver."

Astonishing Member

Lol I was looking for this thread the other day because it's totally, yeah, it's all but confirmed now that Jon and Damian are holding onto Superboy and Robin as their birthrights. I mean, this just straight up confirms it, I feel.

I thought Tim's identity was going to be a gag based on how the solicit was written, but, nah, it's totally legit. I just wonder what Bendis wants to call Conner now? I mean, Tim is less hard because he's changed his name before, but this will be a first for Conner. I wonder if Conner will change his costume same as Tim?

Or maybe it may just be as simple Conner keeping the Superboy name because Jon will mostly going back and forth from the present and future like the classic Superboy? Or maybe he'll be Guardian like we all assumed?
    I guess they can mantain the costume of Conner even if he stop to be Superboy. Unlike Tim's Robin costume, the current costume of Conner would not be necessarily associated with the Superboy identity.

Conner would just need a new identity that start with S.

PS: The solicitation of Young Justice #7 is an ironic case, because it seems Bendis has to delay the change of Tim Drake identity until Young Justice #8.

Kon93

S C I O N, got ur S, got ur lineage, short and simple, mostly when everyone calls him kon or Conner

I honestly see little reason why, if they planned on changing Conner's codename, they just wouldn't do it right alongside Tim in Young Justice. They easily could've framed that upcoming issue for both of them. For this reason I'm doubting his is gonna be changed. Likely Bendis and co. are using the logic of Jon going to the Legion as enough of a buffer as to not bother. Maybe things change later on, but right now I'm not seeing much evidence of any plans of a change here.

TBH I wouldn't be half surprised if the lighthearted, joking solicitation in the issue where Tim changes his amounts to him not changing it at all either, and just getting the new costume.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I honestly see little reason why, if they planned on changing Conner's codename, they just wouldn't do it right alongside Tim in Young Justice. They easily could've framed that upcoming issue for both of them. For this reason I'm doubting his is gonna be changed. Likely Bendis and co. are using the logic of Jon going to the Legion as enough a buffer as to not bother. Maybe things change later on, but right now I'm not seeing much evidence of any plans of a change here.

In fact I wouldn't be half surprised if the lighthearted, joking solicitation in the issue where Tim changes his amounts to him not changing it at all, and just getting the new costume.
    Bendis has confirmed in an interview that it will be rebranding and new costumes

Also, Jon and Conner will meet at some point, so the change of identity for Conner may happen after that.

https://www.cbr.com/superboy-new-codename/

It seems Bendis has say the change of identity for Tim is delayed to Young Justice #8:
    http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2019...erman.html?m=1

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

*Shrugs* Conner might just go Kon-El like classic Young Justice minus the name Superboy? Maybe Bendis making a modern day Mon-El comparison?

But honestly, I think it'll all fit into place once Conner gets his feet on the ground to start this new chapter in his life. He obviously has some new ideas for what being a hero should mean, he's very much interested in doing it his way, and given his new issues with how the world works, he may come into very real conflict with Superman and how he goes about changing the world for the better.

That seems like good enough grounds for a brand change.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Wouldn't a better route be just to call him Super?

Keeps the S.

Keeps the line of branding for him.

Fits with his Cocky and at times Corny Attitude.

Fits with the Family.

And it's fun to boot.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    S C I O N, got ur S, got ur lineage, short and simple, mostly when everyone calls him kon or Conner
    It's okay, but a bit too lineage-oriented for me. I like something more individual.

Retired

I don't like that the son of Superman is named Jonathan Kent, as well. I understand why it's that way in story, but for posting about characters, it gets confusing. It's never good when two characters have the same name. And I also think for a company like DC, where licensing is such a big deal, they would want to have different names for trademark purposes.

Retired

Whenever, I look at this image, it makes me think of the G.I. Joe doll I had in the early 1960s, when I was a little boy. When I took off all his clothes, he had that U outline where his "dink" should be. It confused me as kid, was that U supposed to represent Joe's "dink?" How could that be? It gave me all kinds of questions as a little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Bendis has confirmed in an interview that it will be rebranding and new costumes

Also, Jon and Conner will meet at some point, so the change of identity for Conner may happen after that.

https://www.cbr.com/superboy-new-codename/

It seems Bendis has say the change of identity for Tim is delayed to Young Justice #8:
    http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2019...erman.html?m=1
    Oh thanks for that, I somehow totally missed that article and it was 5 months ago.

Whole thing still seems like a big mess to me but hopefully it ends up a net positive for Kon and Tim, whom I still believe are vastly superior characters.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I hope Kon changes his name too. It's about time those two graduate and move on. Give the new guys some breathing room. Kon will be fine even without the Superboy name. He's popular and has a lot of outside media exposure.

Tim I wish the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't like that the son of Superman is named Jonathan Kent, as well. I understand why it's that way in story, but for posting about characters, it gets confusing. It's never good when two characters have the same name. And I also think for a company like DC, where licensing is such a big deal, they would want to have different names for trademark purposes.
    I agree. I'll go further and say I wish fewer characters in general would be named after others, in general, even with different last names. And that the non-hero/less prominent parent would seem to get some say in the baby names. This definitely counts variations like Jai, Irey, and Mar'i. Dads are the important ones (in these cases), so kids names are related to their loved ones. Stands out more with Wally's since the others (Mar'i, Lyta, Arthur Jr., Jon) are only children and picking from one side or the other at least makes sense.

Actually, I feel the same way about the constantly re-used code names - and it means I can't use code names for tag searches.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

But the thing is nobody calls jon "Jonathan kent". For most he is just jon. Its like nobody calling dick "richard".
    People associate jon with son of superman and Jonathan kent with father of superman.
    I mean, who else was clark going to name his kid after? Jon is short, sweet and has a legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    But the thing is nobody calls jon "Jonathan kent". For most he is just jon. Its like nobody calling dick "richard".
    People associate jon with son of superman and Jonathan kent with father of superman.
    I mean, who else was clark going to name his kid after? Jon is short, sweet and has a legacy.
    This. No one calls Jon Jonathan.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-10-2019 at 01:09 AM.