Page 37 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Stunning issue. I like the return of the hero crashing to earth motif, with a twist of course. Finally we have Malekith impersonating, I was beggining to think he wouldn’t do it anymore. It is definitely fun to see a wider MU drawn by Dauterman.
    Yes, the big appeal of this issue for me was not just seeing Dauterman and Aaron together again but seeing Dauterman rendering the wider MU.

On a purely visual level, this was an A+ book. I took my sweet time reading it just to savor every panel.

Storywise, rock solid. Even though it says War of the Realms on the cover, this is basically an Aaron Thor issue and, unsurprisingly for the kick off of a finale that's been years in the making, it feels fully confident in its storytelling.

Looking forward to seeing how this war escalates. Loved the last page here.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 04-03-2019 at 04:58 PM.

From a liquor store run by a HS classmate and her husband, a drink fit for this story.

New Battery Steele Nine Worlds. A Nordic farmhouse ale with lemon balm and juniper. A brew worthy of Odin’s table!
    9worlds.jpg

someone is going to have to explain Thor's dog to me one day. No idea where he came from
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    someone is going to have to explain Thor's dog to me one day. No idea where he came from
    He was from Gillen's Journey into Mystery. He was kidLoki's dog before he betrayed him. It actually causes me physical pain to see him. DAMN YOU GILLEN!

Also, I know, you know, we all know that Loki isn't really dead, but I can't say that Laufey actually EATING Loki didn't shock, especially doing it in front of Freya and everyone, who were all also equally disturbed that Laufey would eat his own son.

This first issue of WOR had too much forced humour by Spider-Man and Iron Man. But I did like Freya’s reference to “Captain of America”. The flooding of New York, at least, with denizens of the 10 worlds looked awesome, but then why did Dr Strange stand in front of them all like he could stop it?

For a first issue, it was a good setup. I’ve seen a lot of Event bigginings and this has all the elements that make drama that progresses forward. Not everyone knows this is supposed to be this big war yet. I think the super heroes take it for granted that they always win, (well most times - not Secret Wars 2015 HC).

I did not like the modern language used by the 10-worlders. It’s like these people have lived on prime-time television their whole lives. Two Trolls seeing She-Hulk - “I think I’m in love”. What’s that?

It all seems to be rather compact when it moves to New York. I think I would have liked to see this all happen around the world, in China, Moscow and London as well. Brazil is always nice. You could really show the symbolism of the crushing of the Statues of Liberty and Jesus, to demonstrate how serious this all is. Eating Loki? More comic relief. I did like Caps shield hitting Malekith in mid-sentence. That always introduces the despot to the man of the house. You could probably more accurately describe Steve Rogers as Captain of Earth.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-03-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Stunning issue. I like the return of the hero crashing to earth motif, with a twist of course. Finally we have Malekith impersonating, I was beggining to think he wouldn’t do it anymore. It is definitely fun to see a wider MU drawn by Dauterman.

A lot happens here in very short order, which suggests this event will have quite a few twists and turns before it is over.
    What are you referring too? The last page with Thor?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I think he's referring to Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think he's referring to Loki.
    Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

I can’t take Loki appearances and dialogue serious, now that Loki’s appearance has been duped, and Loki is a liar. You never know if he is honest or not.

I was indeed referring to Loki. Like at least a couple of Marvel events before it, we kick a story off with a hero crashing to earth speaking of impending doom. It’s almost a metatextual nod to the fact this is an Event!

I think the whole thing has always been a nod to the roots of magical realism. Angels crashing to earth warning of war in heaven. Which could be a tie back to the beginning of this whole story I guess.

Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

I can’t take Loki appearances and dialogue serious, now that Loki’s appearance has been duped, and Loki is a liar. You never know if he is honest or not.
    -mild spoiler, probably not worth a tag considering the quoted comment>
    I can’t remember if I expressed it here anywhere but for a while I have been wondering if every Loki appearance over the last few months has really been Loki. It felt like Aaron was holding back on Malekith’s disguise ability for a reveal of that sort.

I wonder if we should either move this kind of discussion to a spoiler thread or get a mod to put spoiler in the title of this one?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-04-2019 at 03:09 AM.

It all seems to be rather compact when it moves to New York. I think I would have liked to see this all happen around the world, in China, Moscow and London as well. Brazil is always nice. You could really show the symbolism of the crushing of the Statues of Liberty and Jesus, to demonstrate how serious this all is. Eating Loki? More comic relief. I did like Caps shield hitting Malekith in mid-sentence. That always introduces the despot to the man of the house. You could probably more accurately describe Steve Rogers as Captain of Earth.
    Judging by the snippet of Squirrel Girl in the preview—complete with world map divided up—and the stories that are planned, we will be seeing lots of world locations in the wider event.

I agree that some of the dialogue felt very cartoonish. I am guessing this is being pitched very widely, as an event that will potentially appeal to a much broader fanbase. We haven’t had an event quite this big for a while now. For some newer readers this may be their first taster of a universe spanning story other than the Avengers movies. Hmm, the timing is very good there too.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-04-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Were any of the tie-ins released today?
    Nope, not this week. Starting us off nice and gentle before the weeks where there will be millions of the things on my pull list.

Extraordinary Member

I was indeed referring to Loki. Like at least a couple of Marvel events before it, we kick a story off with a hero crashing to earth speaking of impending doom. It’s almost a metatextual nod to the fact this is an Event!

I think the whole thing has always been a nod to the roots of magical realism. Angels crashing to earth warning of war in heaven. Which could be a tie back to the beginning of this whole story I guess.

-mild spoiler, probably not worth a tag considering the quoted comment>
    I can’t remember if I expressed it here anywhere but for a while I have been wondering if every Loki appearance over the last few months has really been Loki. It felt like Aaron was holding back on Malekith’s disguise ability for a reveal of that sort.

I wonder if we should either move this kind of discussion to a spoiler thread or get a mod to put spoiler in the title of this one?
    In the Loki thread, we were talking about Loki using doubles to put himself into multiple places, but you're right, how many of those appearances, especially in Thor, have been Malekith pretending to be Loki? It would take me a while to even guess.

I am very excited to see where this event goes!

I think what really sets it apart is that it just feels so much more fun than previous events, especially Civil War 2, Secret Empire, and everything going on with the X-Men. Loki's extremely brutal "death," while shocking and horrifying, still feels more like it adds a bit of spice to the book rather than turning it into something quite hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think what really sets it apart is that it just feels so much more fun than previous events, especially Civil War 2, Secret Empire, and everything going on with the X-Men. Loki's extremely brutal "death," while shocking and horrifying, still feels more like it adds a bit of spice to the book rather than turning it into something quite hopeless.
    One could call it extremely brutal, or one could call it cartoonish, and perhaps mythic like Chronos. Even the panel has a feeling of Goya's 'Saturn Devouring His Son' (although obviously not as dark).
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

One could call it extremely brutal, or one could call it cartoonish, and perhaps mythic like Chronos. Even the panel has a feeling of Goya's 'Saturn Devouring His Son' (although obviously not as dark).
    I think "cartoonish" is a good word, but it's not cartoonish in a bad way. Like Goya's famous painting, it is awful and horrific, but it is also clearly not meant to be real. "Catoonishly mythic" is a good way to put it.

Like Saturn eating his children, we know that Loki isn't dead and gone forever, but the horror comes from the fact that Laufey really was prepared to not only eat Loki, but to also presumably go on a killing spree with his son's blood and viscera still on his face. All of this while Loki's horrified mother looks on.

But again, because it is so exaggerated, it still doesn't completely overwhelm the comic.

I don't want to dog on Spencer and Bendis and other writers too much, because I think they do the best they can with the genres they have, but you can really appreciate that Aaron is keenly aware that comics sre meant to be modern myths.

Mighty Member

Funny how Peter acknowledges that every time he has a very good day, it is followed by something really bad. The old parker luck.