Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Speaking of Hal and John (nothing inflammatory) and also Guy - if Guy and John were Hal's backups, who was Abin Sur's backup? The idea of telling someone "Hey, you've been chosen to be the backup GL of this sector" is something I can only remember being done with Hal, telling Guy and John. Has the "backup GL" ever been a storypoint at any other time?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Speaking of Hal and John (nothing inflammatory) and also Guy - if Guy and John were Hal's backups, who was Abin Sur's backup? The idea of telling someone "Hey, you've been chosen to be the backup GL of this sector" is something I can only remember being done with Hal, telling Guy and John. Has the "backup GL" ever been a storypoint at any other time?
    I wonder if the backups are determined by the Lantern's home planet? Although I guess that doesn't really work with the Ring always searching for the closest being with great Willpower.

Reminds of how Abin Sur's son from Johns' run popped up thinking he was entitled to the ring.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Earth was pretty quickly recognized by the Guardians as a particularly troublesome planet that was going to require extra precautions in terms of protection, hence the necessity of Hal's multiple auxiliaries.

Given how many Multiverse-threatening events Earth has spawned, their abundance of caution was certainly warranted

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    There is no such thing as a 50/50 dynamic in one individual plotline. In a pair, there's a hero and a foil/lancer. I don't want John to be a foil to someone else, since the black best friend trope is a tired AF second class position for black characters. It's not a contradiction to say I want John to be in the hero position. If other people want to fight over it, fine, but that's my opinion, yo.

Do you really think modern John came from Geoff Johns or was solely written by Geoff Johns? What about the DCAU crew who actually updated him and gave him prominence? What about Venditti and Jensen who didn't write him a moping little ***** to Hal Jordan to prop up silver age nostalgia? Get outta here.

No one is complaining with group shots of Hal at the center, so please leave the other lanterns alone when they are at the center.

I like Guy. I figure, as the second most time-honored earth lantern of the corps, he deserves some respect and better treatment than being a foil. BTW, IÂ’ve always thought Hal/Guy have a great, even, interesting dynamic in War of the Green Lanterns.
    Do you really think the DCAU crew established John from nowhere? As I can see, John Stewart in the animation was largely based on Hal Jordan in comics: military background, a bit cocky personality, friendship with the Flash, and, he always gets the girl.
    Venditti and Jensen are both **** writers and itÂ’s the former did a so bad job in Green Lantern that John Stewart and any other lanterns don’t have their books.
    Hal Jordan is at the center of group shots because he should be. ItÂ’s like Batman is always the center of Batfam. I donÂ’t know if I should remind you, there would be no corps if not for Hal Jordan.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 11-23-2020 at 09:57 PM.

If anyone wants to reignite the same old my GL vs your GL fights, I have created a thread specifically for that nonsense. So, if you are looking to pick a fight over which GL is better or sucks, can you please do it over there so this thread can go back to being an appreciation of all Green Lanterns?

Thank yew.

green_lantern_corps_dcau_by_jtsentertainment_ddsfuv1-pre.jpg
    Pic would be perfect if John had his hair but still cool nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Looks like Guy’s pretty much his TAS model in traditional 2D

It hurts to think how many more members of the Corps they were planning to bring in to season

Astonishing Member

It hurts to think how many more members of the Corps they were planning to bring in to season
    There's plans for more?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    There's plans for more?
    John and Kyle were planned for the show’s later seasons if it hadn’t been canned.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    There's plans for more?
    Season 2 would have had Hal framed by Sinestro and being hunted down by John Stewart, culminating in the formation of the Sinestro Corps (which would have synched up with what the movie sequel was supposed to do, which was already being fast-tracked prior to the box office disappointment of the first film)

Since the show was ridiculously expensive to make and the GL movie toys didn't sell, the 2nd season was cancelled as well as the toyline for the show, which would have given figures for Hal, Kilowog, Razer, and Aya.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I miss Simon.