Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kylo Ren

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall, I like Kylo Ren. He wasn't completely what I was expecting.

Pros:

- Ben Solo: He already has a story. I liked how Kylo Ren turned out to be the son of Han and Leia. I was also surprised he got the name "Ben," since Kenobi was more closer to Luke. Finally, although the Empire was defeated, life wasn't easy for the Skywalkers after that. Personally, I wasn't expecting this dark twist so early.

- Not the typical villain: Although I like his costume and weapon, I'm kind of glad they didn't make him an over-the-top bad guy. He has his struggles and he's flawed. Personally, I think this makes Kylo's Character far more intriguing.

Cons:

Rey: Speaking of over the top, unlike Kylo, who has his flaws, Rey was the exact opposite to the point where I can't stand this character. It wasn't that Kylo Ren was pathetic, it was that Rey was too perfect. After hearing about the Force, Rey is piloting the Millennium Falcon and defeating experienced TIE Pilots, resists mind control from Kylo Ren, mind controls the James Bond Storm Trooper, and defeats Kylo Ren in a lightsaber fight. No experience using the Force or holding a lightsaber. I honestly don't know if I rolled my eyes more times watching Rey or Jar Jar Binks

Flaws make a character interesting. I say give Ren a chance. Unlike most of the movie, Kylo probably the most original character.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-19-2017 at 12:14 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

We don't know yet the reason that Ben Solo decided to embrace the Dark Side of the Force. Through the Prequels, we saw why Anakin Skywalker did it, but so far, for Ben/Kylo, it seems like he just woke up one morning and decided that his life's ambition was to join the Dark Side.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    We don't know yet the reason that Ben Solo decided to embrace the Dark Side of the Force. Through the Prequels, we saw why Anakin Skywalker did it, but so far, for Ben/Kylo, it seems like he just woke up one morning and decided that his life's ambition was to join the Dark Side.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I would say that with Vader he didn't so much embrace the Dark Side as that he completely rejected the Jedi and everything they stood for. He was never a Sith True Believer.

As for Ben, we do know that it was Snoke that turned him.

Default Too late to salvage Kylo?

Is there anything that can be done to salvage this character? Because I'm beginning to think that nothing can. It's like he's become the Jar Jar Binks of Star Wars villains. I know they are going to try to give him a buff but it feels like the damage is already done. It feels like they should cut their losses and just make him a hero and move on to another darkside user.

BANNED

What's wrong with him?

Extraordinary Member

There's nothing they need to do to "salvage" the character.

He's a well-crafted and interesting villain and I look forward to how deep into the dark side they're going to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    What's wrong with him?
    I don't want to be the one to be the one to bring that stuff up all over again. You can find critics of the character everywhere but this one is closer
    http://community.comicbookresources....99408-Kylo-Ren

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't want to be the one to be the one to bring that stuff up all over again. You can find critics of the character everywhere but this one is closer
    http://community.comicbookresources....99408-Kylo-Ren
    There are people in that thread that are defending the character as well.

It's true that there's a dislike for Kylo Ren, but it's not nigh-universal like with Jar Jar Binks.

He doesn't need to be salvaged. He's working right now exactly as he was intended to work through to this point.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I didn't think he was the strongest link in TFA but he wasn't horrible either, I'm hoping he improves in the second film.

I think he's pathetic and I think that's part of what makes him interesting to me at least. Not everyone has to be a bad ass. I mean, he kind of is, but without that mask the aura and intimidation are gone. I think there's some depth there and he's unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think he was fantastic.

No, he was not cool. Which is good because in the past we have gotten way too many villains in many fandoms who were cooler than the heroes.

Of course, Vader was pathetic too, once you get past the glamour. Psychotic little nazi that killed everybody that tried to love him. It's just that his character design made him appear cooler than Walt Disney's frozen head.

George Lucas based the Empire on the nazis. He didn't make this clear enough because a not insignificant portion of the fanbase is rooting for the Imperials.
    It's like Watchmen where Alan Moore did everything he could to make the Comedian and Rorschach clearly not heroes, and still there are those who love everything those two characters stand for.

It's like Warhammer 40K, where you have loonies who view the Imperium Of Men as unironically as proper and righteous good guys.

The main differences between Kylo and Vader are thus:
    Kylo is human. Apears human. Has a human voice. Shows emotions.
    Kylo is not a veteran of several wars, and hasn't maxed out all of his skills yet. He's a rookie by comparison.

Like Vader, he's scary competent. Like Vader he isn't a True Believer, but he'd really like to be. Vader only joined Palps because he was lied to, and once he figured that out there wasn't really anywhere else for him to go, and he was too broken to offer more than a token resistance to Palpatine. Like Vader, Kylo is undoubtedly getting redeemed at some point.
    Do we really have that many? I always thought it was on an even level.

All-New Member

I absolutely agree with you, thank you for saying it out loud! My God, we acted like a rebelous teeneger who had to stayed at home because parents had said so.

There was an underlying fear of being kidnapped as children to serve the Empire as Finn was in the movie, however something tells me that Ben is Luke's son and Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. I think that a switch was made to hid who they really were and Snoke found Ben to be the more willing Candidate to turn. I think that's why Rey took to the Falcon which even Han noticed and Ben is following his instincts for Vader. Luke will be the one to kill him as he will not turn but become more dedicated to the dark side.
    Hail Hydra!

I doubt there was any switch. It would totally destroy the symbolic nature of Kylo killing Han. This was his rite of passage to the dark side, the complete destruction of Ben Solo in the act of killing his father. Revealing it was actually his uncle just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El