Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

They lost money...on an Avengers game. https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-...vels-avengers/

I blame the Scarlet Witch. Never annoy a mutant with the power to alter probability. Not only did she lose her spot to Ms. Marvel but the first downloadable character was going to be.....Kate Bishop?!

At that point she just closed her eyes and whispered "No more Avenger game"
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-08-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Has there ever really been a decent Marvel team game outside of the X-men (and I guess Ultimate Alliance)?

DC seems to have a similar problem apart from the Injustice series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    They lost money...on an Avengers game. https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-...vels-avengers/

I blame the Scarlet Witch. Never annoy a mutant with the power to alter probability. Not only did she lose her spot to Ms. Marvel but the first downloadable character was going to be.....Kate Bishop?!

At that point she just closed her eyes and whispered "No more Avenger game"
    Everyone's Wanda's fault. :P

Also she's not a mutant. And I wish she was gonna have the first spot in the game. Now she might not be in it at all.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Has there ever really been a decent Marvel team game outside of the X-men (and I guess Ultimate Alliance)?

DC seems to have a similar problem apart from the Injustice series.
    MUA and X-Men Legends games are about it for team games. Solo games do far better with heroes as long as it's the most popular (Batman and Spider-Man). Not really sure why that is. Even MUA 3 struggled. But that's mostly because it was only on the Switch. I feel it would have done much better if it were cross platform. But, the game was funded by Nintendo to be an exclusive.

Tbf, there haven't been many tries at the team game thing. And Marvel's Avengers seemed doomed from the start because they had early production issues, Square laid people off. It was three years from the announcement before we saw anything about the game. MH had it's issues. One of it's coders lost the source code for the game before backing it up, so it had to be completely rebuilt. After it was, the game was very bare bones and had to be rebooted in 2015. It ended up breaking even financially until it's CEO left. Then everything went downhill quickly, the console port failed, the new CEO was accused of assault, and Marvel pulled the plug.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

What worries me is that Marvel has a habit of pulling out of things quickly when things go badly and this is supposed to be a long term partnership with Square. We don't know if their upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy game by the team behind the recent Deus Ex games might be like but there's a chance that might be more story and single player focused, but given the reception to Avengers Marvel might can that altogether, similar to what happened with SEGA with the movie games and Capcom after Infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    What worries me is that Marvel has a habit of pulling out of things quickly when things go badly and this is supposed to be a long term partnership with Square. We don't know if their upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy game by the team behind the recent Deus Ex games might be like but there's a chance that might be more story and single player focused, but given the reception to Avengers Marvel might can that altogether, similar to what happened with SEGA with the movie games and Capcom after Infinite.
    The one they did that with was MH, and that was because they were two years behind on the license when they started the console port as a last ditch effort. When it failed, and then the Dohrmann stuff happened was when Marvel pulled the plug. At the time the license was about $13 mil a year. I bet it's more than that now, because the movies have gotten more popular since then.

Square has more money to throw around than Gaz. They are just gonna want a better return on their investment. They say they are committed to this, we'll see. They turned FFXIV around. But it's a beloved game franchise. Marvel games tend to only attract a cult following.

The rumor is the Black Panther update is intended to really revitalize and reinvigorate the game, so they're probably holding out for that...although considering they couldn't even get the Hawkeye DLC out on time, I'm not sure how long before that's released and if anyone will still even be playing.

It won't do anything if the game doesn't work first. Hopefully they are pushing everything back to work on that.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It’s probably why they have held back the next generation edition, they’re hoping the new console and a significant addition like Wakanda and Black Panther will boost things. I do hope it’s not too late. If I had any say I would be giving up on the multiplayer altogether and focus on crafting as much single player content as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It’s probably why they have held back the next generation edition, they’re hoping the new console and a significant addition like Wakanda and Black Panther will boost things. I do hope it’s not too late. If I had any say I would be giving up on the multiplayer altogether and focus on crafting as much single player content as possible.
    That would create more work, and having a team game be single player would be just trash. I want to play this with my friends. If I wanted to play alone, I'd just go buy Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Everyone's Wanda's fault. :P

Also she's not a mutant. And I wish she was gonna have the first spot in the game. Now she might not be in it at all.
    The Pretender!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Turning this game into a Destiny clone left a sour taste. Being a repetitive, drab grindfest is not what most would have wanted from an Avengers game. Imagine if this game did what Ultimate Alliance 3 did with this game's combat and they would have had a winner.
    What went wrong - did they get greedy? Is it significantly more effort to make an epic story than a bunch of WoW style cooperative raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The Pretender!
    She is a mutant and Magneto's kid and no one can tell me differently, dagnabbit!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    What went wrong - did they get greedy? Is it significantly more effort to make an epic story than a bunch of WoW style cooperative raids?
    The wow style raids would be more fun if they didn't all feel the same. Fighting the same robots, in the same interior environment with the same objectives. It all bleeds in together making for a very dull game.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That would create more work, and having a team game be single player would be just trash. I want to play this with my friends. If I wanted to play alone, I'd just go buy Spider-man.
    I guess it depends on the person. I'd be more interested in a stronger single player Avengers story than anything multiplayer related. None of these generic missions with the same repeated villains and few major Supervillains does nothing for me.