Page 9 of 613 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yep. This might be a physical buy just for the Garcia art alone.
    I mean...it is for me. I'm currently re-reading a Deadman mini with his art and am still in awe over every page.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A singular vision is needed for Superman. A true united front of storytelling moving toward a specific goal. I'm not sure if this will be good for me as a reader or not, but a creator taking the wheel of the whole ship is what is needed.

I'm all for that vision, man.

The Superman books have been godawful. They're meandering and kind of just "there", this will fix that for better or worse (honestly can't get any worse). I'm a little tired of origin stories, but Superman's timeline is a mess right now and if Bendis is really going to come in and steer the ship all by himself- he needs his own shot at the backstory. I hate to say it, but we need a new origin.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-01-2018 at 12:14 PM.

BANNED

That "rocket" cover has the villiamooking like he was infected by the doomsday virus.maybe a Kryptonian created it and it made lose his **** and he plotted to destroy krypton.maybe because of the DD virus he survived and come looking for the last Kryptonians to kill.lol whatever,just don't go overboard,and write it well.

So if you don't care for Bendis and Snyder writing you are **** out of luck as a Superman fan huh.

That DC nation cover looks good,BUT for those shorts over Supermans suit.jimmenez couldn't even do it right,that's not a good sign folks.

I don't have "much" of a problem with all the control in 1 persons hands,I have more problem with a whole universe being held hostage for 2 years for 1 guy to comeback and write his story,and "change everything".

Just give you kon-el,he has been teased in the books,young Justice season 3 is coming,its just about the best time to do it.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Bendis said he's not getting rid of anything from the Tomasi/Gleason and Jurgens runs.

Jon isn't going anywhere.
    He said he was going to build on what Tomasi was doing on Superman, but also would focus more on Superman. That sounds like he's going to put Jon and Lois on the back burner, only appearing once in a while just to show that he's a family man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    So, as always, top artists to carry Bendis dead weight
    Other than the mini and Action #1,000 I didn't see any artists mentioned to headline the two main books. Or did I miss something?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A singular vision is needed for Superman. A true united front of storytelling moving toward a specific goal. I'm not sure if this will be good for me as a reader or not, but a creator taking the wheel of the whole ship is what is needed.

The Superman books have been godawful. They're meandering and kind of just "there", this will fix that for better or worse (honestly can't get any worse). I'm a little tired of origin stories, but Superman's timeline is a mess right now and if Bendis is really going to come in and steer the ship all by himself- he needs his own shot at the backstory. I hate to say it, but we need a new origin.
    Do we though? Secret Origin is a nice and basic origin story that gets the job done, I don't see why we need a new backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I happen to like Bendis so looking forward to this but i'm sad to see Tomasi and Gleason leave. Hope we carry on with the heavy family feel of Superman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    There is no way they are removing Jon from Clark's life. Also the status quo change might be either of the Kents coming back.

They won't remove Jon from the equation, but they can put him on the back burner and focus more on just Superman, which is what I read into what Bendis said.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    This is breaking my heart. We've had one of the best Superman runs in canon for years and now Bendis gets his grubby hands on a character that has just been fixed from being an edgelord bachelor. I hate Bendis' writing with a passion and him writing all the Superman books is my worst nightmare. I'm dropping both Superman and Action Comics when Bendis comes on board. I recognise some will see this as an overreaction but Bendis is going to ruin a character I dearly love and I am positively enraged at what he'll do to the character.
    I don't hate Bendis (I actually think he writes street level characters very, very well--check out his DD run). But I thought Tomasi really captured the essence of his Superman family book quite amazingly.

BANNED

The Superman books have been godawful. They're meandering and kind of just "there", this will fix that for better or worse (honestly can't get any worse).
    In your opinion. One not shared by everyone, and I am tired of certain members on here (you know who you are) acting like their hate of the books is both forum and universal consensus. Wake up to reality: It is'nt.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd forgotten all about that!

My 11 year old self was still doing most of my buying from spinner racks, and I remember the anxiety that came with running all over town, thinking I'd missed an issue.
    I remember getting the last issue of Funeral For a Friend and seeing " the end" on the last page and the " there is no information on Adventures of Superman #500 at this time"in the next issue boxes on the letters page, then seeing The Legacy of Superman, Newstime and the Superman Gallery one shots coming out there after and I legit thought that they were ending Superman. Keep in mind this was pre- internet and I had only graduated from the 7-11 spinner rack to a little Podunk comics shop , so they really had me convinced for, like, a month before news leaked of AOS 500.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    In your opinion. One not shared by everyone, and I am tired of certain members on here (you know who you are) acting like their hate of the books is both forum and universal consensus. Wake up to reality: It is'nt.
    When has anyone on this forum said that their hatred of the books is indicative of the overall consensus?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I only speak for myself, and I am entitled to say how I feel.

Besides, the books have not been doing all that great. We are in a thread about an upcoming shake up to the entire line. There's some reality!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-01-2018 at 12:39 PM.

He said he was going to build on what Tomasi was doing on Superman, but also would focus more on Superman. That sounds like he's going to put Jon and Lois on the back burner, only appearing once in a while just to show that he's a family man.
    Considering how overused Jon has been in his inaugural year, a back-burner status on the main two Superman titles is more than justified, especially considering he even has his own title to star in. Lois should still be doing Lois things though, and I have very little worry she won't. But less Jon is not only justified, but I'd argue outright NEEDED. More focus on Superman. More focus on Lois. More focus on their dynamic to actually make them interesting again as a couple. Granted that part isn't Jon's fault. They were godawfully boring pre-FP too and of course Jon didn't exist then. So that's not on him, that's just on how they're written as a married couple. Spice it the hell up. But at least without such a heavy focus on him being the wunderkind future of the DCU, there's the chance Lois and Clark can get theirs. If Bendis capitalizes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Agreed.

In the long run, this is likely to be more beneficial for Superman. If Bendis delivers some great stories, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    He said he was going to build on what Tomasi was doing on Superman, but also would focus more on Superman
    Thank goodness. The Superman title becoming the adventures of Jon and his father really killed the title for me interest wise. Superman is best when it's first and foremost about Clark Kent and his alterego, and his co-workers and fellow heroes and villians. The title on the front of the book reads "Superman". They have a SuperSons book to cover Jon- and people who want to read that will have that, and people who want to ignore that hopefully will be able to ignore it safely.

Though I don't really want the character of Jon in the books at all, I think I'd be able to stomach it better if it was just kind of like, yeah, Superman has this son, but he's rarely referenced and rarely plays into the stories, it only comes up in the contexts where he'd have to mention his son if he has a son or where his son has to be there (i.e. a funeral for a family friend). Batman has had books where Damian is mostly ignored. It can be done.

Agreed. Especially since Jon and Damian have their own book. Two if you count Teen Titans, which I believe if not a full-blown member, Jon is at least honorary at this point. Jon is under no threat of disappearance if he doesn't feature heavily in the Superman titles, any more than Damian is by not featuring heavily in Batman and 'Tec.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El