Page 326 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426826 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    If it's X-Men you want, then definitely start with Uncanny X-Men Omnibuses Vol. 1-2. Probably the best X-Men stories overall and great art. It's where characters like Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Storm came into the limelight.
    Yeah, I was thinking about it, read them back in Poland when there were published as TPB's - two issues in each book - in '92 I think. Dark Phoenix Saga and then some single issues, and Jim Lee's fantastic run. Good times.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Are Ultimate X-Men any good? Or Spidey? Used to read Spider-man when I was a kind but got bored and now I have this thought it's childlish comic and I shouldn't even bother trying.
    For a Spidey omni, I recommend either the Stern or Michelinie/McFarlane collections. I'm leaning towards Michelinie being my favourite, but both are classics.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I'd like to know your opinions about essential books from Marvel. What Omni/OHC should I purchase? I'd like to focus on X-Men mostly, maybe some other stuff but only must-have. I try to catch up with things but seems it's impossible and don't know even where to start.

Are Ultimate X-Men any good? Or Spidey? Used to read Spider-man when I was a kind but got bored and now I have this thought it's childlish comic and I shouldn't even bother trying.
    Ultimate Spidey is awesome, though it isn't set in the main universe. Definitely try that one out. For X-Men either check out the Uncanny X-Men vol 1 and vol 2 omniboo or the New X-Men omnibus (by Grant Morrison). Other essentials are Daredevil by Frank Miller, Iron Man by Michelinie (in my opinion), Fantastic Four by Stan Lee etc.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I'd like to know your opinions about essential books from Marvel. What Omni/OHC should I purchase? I'd like to focus on X-Men mostly, maybe some other stuff but only must-have. I try to catch up with things but seems it's impossible and don't know even where to start.

10ish "Essential" X-Men Collections from the beginning of time to Schism. Most are pretty central to the ongoing X-Men plot and all are full of well-regarded material. (I may interchange "Ultimate" and "Complete" a few times, they're the same thing, more or less.)

- X-Men Marvel Masterworks, Vol. 1 TPB
    - Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Vol. 1 & 2 OR UXM MMW 1 + Dark Phoenix Saga TPB
    - X-Men by Claremont & Lee Omnibus, Vol. 2 OR X-Men: Mutant Genesis
    - Age of Apocalypse Omnibus, or Epic Collections 2-4.
    - New X-Men by Grant Morrison Omnibus, Ultimate Collections 1-3
    - Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon Omnibus, or OHC/Ultimate Collections 1-2
    - X-Factor by Peter David Ultimate Collections 1-2
    - X-Men: Messiah Complex
    - X-Men: Second Coming
    - Uncanny X-Force Omnibus or HC/TPB Vol. 1 & 3-4

Also, a few more obscure picks that happen to by my favorites:
    - X-Men: Ghosts
    - X-Men: Bishop's Crossing
    - X-Men: Skinning of Souls
    - X-Statix Omnibus
    - Uncanny X-Men: New Age Vol. 1-3
    - Uncanny X-Men: Manifest Destiny
    - X-Men: Nation X or UXM by Matt Fraction Ultimate Collection Vol. 2
    - Uncanny X-Men: Fear Itself & Uncanny X-Men by Gillen, Vol. 2
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    I want to meet these animals that have $300 to spend on omnis.

Attachment 9003
    That poor bugger is $100 short.

BANNED

I did the Books-A-Million deal with AvX OHC, AvX Companion OHC, and Daredevil End of Days OHC (been looking for that for a while, because I'm a completist, but I didn't want to spend much on it; $11 was the right price). The whole order came to $45 shipped after using the coupon. Plus 4% cash-back via Ebates. I already have both AvX vols but will be able to get more than my money back by selling the digital codes and then trading the hard copies in at my LCS for store credit at half cover price (so, something like $87, right there). Never ordered from BAM before, but here's hoping the books arrive in decent condition. If the AvX books arrive a little banged up, I'll just keep those copies and sell/trade-in my existing ones, which are Like New. Because I thought AvX was okay but not great and I'd rather have the value more than mint copies.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    That's a personal favorite of mine. I've loved that era ever since I was a kid, bought a few issues in the early/mid-'80s when I was five years old or so, then got into that run regularly ten years later when it started coming out in X-Men Classic. The issues in that "Ghosts" trade are great and worth having in a high-quality package.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Wow, is Aaron's Wolverine that bad? I might just skip the omnibus then.
    How's his Wolvie & X-men run at least?
    Both runs were all over the place, imo. Quality greatly varied from storyarc to storyarc. With Wolverine/Weapon X, Aaron would do one awful storyline, then a very good one ("Get Mystique", "Insane in the Brain", "Wolverine's Revenge", and "Wolverine vs X-Men" were some of the better ones). With WatXM, generally speaking the first half of the run was good and the second half was awful. I will say that Aaron has never done a truly great X-Men or Wolverine storyline, but he sure has done some flat-out terrible ones. I'd still pick up those Omnis if you could find them for cheap, though, because there is enough decent stuff in there overall. I still like his X-stuff significantly more than I like the Uncanny runs by Brubaker, Fraction or (GASP!) Gillen. (But can I please get a Mike Carey X-Men: Legacy Omni already?)

Maybe it's just me but I find Aaron's Thor stuff to be similarly uneven and all over the place. The exception there, however, is that Aaron's first Thor storyline was truly great and an instant classic.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 08-31-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I find Aaron's Thor stuff to be similarly uneven and all over the place. The exception there, however, is that Aaron's first Thor storyline was truly great and an instant classic.
    I'm not a Thor guy, but that Godbutcher arc was amazing and I already have the OHC on pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    10ish "Essential" X-Men Collections from the beginning of time to Schism. Most are pretty central to the ongoing X-Men plot and all are full of well-regarded material. (I may interchange "Ultimate" and "Complete" a few times, they're the same thing, more or less.)

- X-Men Marvel Masterworks, Vol. 1 TPB
    - Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Vol. 1 & 2 OR UXM MMW 1 + Dark Phoenix Saga TPB
    - X-Men by Claremont & Lee Omnibus, Vol. 2 OR X-Men: Mutant Genesis
    - Age of Apocalypse Omnibus, or Epic Collections 2-4.
    - New X-Men by Grant Morrison Omnibus, Ultimate Collections 1-3
    - Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon Omnibus, or OHC/Ultimate Collections 1-2
    - X-Factor by Peter David Ultimate Collections 1-2
    - X-Men: Messiah Complex
    - X-Men: Second Coming
    - Uncanny X-Force Omnibus or HC/TPB Vol. 1 & 3-4

Also, a few more obscure picks that happen to by my favorites:
    - X-Men: Bishop's Crossing
    - X-Men: Skinning of Souls
    - X-Statix Omnibus
    - Uncanny X-Men: New Age Vol. 1-3
    - Uncanny X-Men: Manifest Destiny
    - X-Men: Nation X or UXM by Matt Fraction Ultimate Collection Vol. 2
    - Uncanny X-Men: Fear Itself & Uncanny X-Men by Gillen, Vol. 2
    Very helpful, thanks, I already have some of them, not many though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I bought the omni when it was released. I think it's pretty good and don't understand the widespread hatred. I don't really mind that there is no Volume 2 because this works well enough as a collection of standalone stories.
    I read his Punisher Max omni and really liked it, so hoping my Wolverine purchase is not in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    deltasun, please tell me those Omnibuses were discounted. Because I have never seen a haul that large before. Ever.
    Pretty good sale going on locally, so picked all of those up for $328.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Then check Roland1580's haul in the general omni&hc thread (still, it's a crazy big haul deltasun)
    Just decreased my read-to-owned ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Kinda. This thread is like a AA meeting where everyone brings alcohol.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I read his Punisher Max omni and really liked it, so hoping my Wolverine purchase is not in vain.

Like I said, I didn't really like his Wolverine, but I did enjoy his Punisher stuff. If reminded me of the Ennis Marvel Knights run - a very over-the-top story but not quite as absurd as Remender's Frankencastle.

I've always wanted to read his Scalped because I"ve heard that's pretty good.

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Default My latest Haul

Got the three Runaway HC volumes off a pleasant gentleman on Ebay. In the package he drew a fantastic picture thanking me for the purchase. I felt inclined to write the gentleman back for the thoughtful memento. He explained he has to sell off his graphic novels to pay for his wife's surgery. Secret Warriors was almost sniped away from me And Kick Ass I found at my LCS 10 dollar bin. I have had my eyeball on Secret Wars Omnibus at my LCS. Thinking about picking it up since it is "internet scarce" but don't know if I should. Question for the community...Is the Untold Tales of Spiderman Omnibus any good?

photo 1_4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Whenitmatters View Post
    Question for the community...Is the Untold Tales of Spiderman Omnibus any good?
    Absolutely fantastic.

Please fix the order of those SM books, its freaking us out.

Spectacular Member Whenitmatters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Absolutely fantastic.

When it goes on my new shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Absolutely fantastic.

What? And you're fine with his ordering of the Runaways?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    What? And you're fine with his ordering of the Runaways?
    Hah hah. Well, technically right to left gives the physical reading order, if for example you put them flat on a table.