Page 264 of 298 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 4458

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I agree, not knocking Kyle but I've never really found pop culture osmosis-driven "cool" constructs to be such an interesting selling point, though it's definitely cool to see. A "wishing ring" on the other hand is far more interesting to me in terms of storytelling possibilities. It's precisely through a wish that Hal outmaneuvers and defeats the Blackstars. The motif of the wish in Morrison's work also pops up in Final Crisis with Superman.

I also found this very interesting to learn about Broome.
    Yeah, it's interesting seeing how Morrison drew on Broome for his Hal characterization. It seems common for people to see how Golden Age characters were influenced by their creators like Siegal/Shuster on Superman or WMM on Wonder Woman but not much into the Silver Age characters.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, that was always a crappy criticism to begin with. Hal was incredibly creative with his constructs. They all were. He's made highly detailed suits of armor and fancy detailed flying viking ships just the same as Kyle did. Really it's all about the writer/artist. They have really cool artistic ideas... and they put them on paper. Doesn't matter who's wearing the ring.

The only time I ever saw a difference was in Green Lantern: Rebirth when Johns detailed 'how' everyone used their rings. John was an architect and built his constructs piece by piece, Guy's was leaking energy and sparks all the time, Kilowog's was the only one that made a boom when he used it... etc.

REALLY wish that had been carried over to the actual series, but it was ignored almost immediately.

But yeah, the 90's were really big into the 'super hero and the powers' and not so much in the secret identity aspect. The powers were the powers and no matter how much they claimed that Kyle was 'more creative' it didn't really hold up considering the awesome stuff Hal had done in the past.
    Yeah, I thought that was a pretty good summation of all the GLs in that scene though like HsssH said, it's entirely easy to change depending on a later writer's interpretation. Though I felt Johns and Morrison's explanations for Hal's constructs mostly lineup.

I thought John's idea of having each GL have their own energy signature and expression of their constructs was an interesting idea,(which becomes completely unwieldy if you have a scene with dozens of GLC members) but the image of Kyle with his hand on his chin, "drawing and erasing" his constructs in the middle of a life and death fight just looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought John's idea of having each GL have their own energy signature and expression of their constructs was an interesting idea,(which becomes completely unwieldy if you have a scene with dozens of GLC members) but the image of Kyle with his hand on his chin, "drawing and erasing" his constructs in the middle of a life and death fight just looks ridiculous.
    Really? I like that he's having fun with it .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In battle, Kyle ruminating over the aesthetics of his constructs seems super-douchey. The hand on chin pose makes him seem self-absorbed - like he's paying more attention to the appearance of his construct more than the threat, but that's just my reaction, and it might be more EVS's interpretation of the script than anything Johns wrote.

Ngl, I kind of like how douchey it comes off with the hand on the chin. That probably really POs Parallax.

I never really gave that page a lot of thought. Seems like the main purpose was to show the GLC finally back together and kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In battle, Kyle ruminating over the aesthetics of his constructs seems super-douchey. The hand on chin pose makes him seem self-absorbed - like he's paying more attention to the appearance of his construct more than the threat, but that's just my reaction, and it might be more EVS's interpretation of the script than anything Johns wrote.
    It makes him look like an artist to me.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to see Hal go beyond than just creating ring constructs.

I read the first chapter of Season 2, I liked it a lot. It's pretty in line with Season 1, and I guess the differences between both seasons become clearer later on (I know that Liam Sharp changes his style midseason).

I had a lot of fun and ended up intrigued with where things are going. I love that the ring has other properties beside making constructs. I'm no expert in Green Lantern, but I've read some old stories and the ring was a more interesting object back then imo

I enjoy Hal Jordan as a man who has seen so much, travel so far, that he has kinda lost touch with Earth.

Liam Sharp and Steve Oliff, just like in Season 1, make one hell of a team
    Last edited by Chubistian; 11-07-2021 at 07:02 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

^^ Probably tied with Parallax for favorite alternate Hal costume.

It's my biased nature speaking for me, but it always irks me when people say they find anything "favorite" about Parallax.

Then again if I started reading GL about a decade earlier than I did, I would've probably had a very different idea who Hal Jordan was.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's my biased nature speaking for me, but it always irks me when people say they find anything "favorite" about Parallax.

Then again if I started reading GL about a decade earlier than I did, I would've probably had a very different idea who Hal Jordan was.
    It's entirely the costume not the era associated with it. I came in to Hal almost a decade after he'd been back, so don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's entirely the costume not the era associated with it. I came in to Hal almost a decade after he'd been back, so don't worry.
    Oh I totally get it, just saying that my perception of the character is mostly based on what people like Geoff Johns did with him, while I find it interesting when people say they were introduced to him at a different time. Be it in the pre-Crisis era, or the 90s, or during the post-Johns era.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-07-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, it's interesting seeing how Morrison drew on Broome for his Hal characterization. It seems common for people to see how Golden Age characters were influenced by their creators like Siegal/Shuster on Superman or WMM on Wonder Woman but not much into the Silver Age characters.

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty good summation of all the GLs in that scene though like HsssH said, it's entirely easy to change depending on a later writer's interpretation. Though I felt Johns and Morrison's explanations for Hal's constructs mostly lineup.

I loved Hal's narration, and breakdown of his pals. That was the Hal I remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I looked at it as he's no longer the last GL. He can relax with peers, and exhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I never really gave that page a lot of thought. Seems like the main purpose was to show the GLC finally back together and kicking ass.
    I reread that page plenty a times. The narrative brought home aspects of what I liked about Hal, Guy, & John. But yeah, collectively putting will powered boots to one evil culo was the main draw, too!