Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Agree to disagree, I suppose?

I mean, I agree with you that the city is amazing and absolutely the core of Judge Dredd stories...but I don't think it's the core of Dredd as a character. What is is, is his home turf, where he knows every corner and alleyway like the back of his hand. It's his comfort zone. And sometimes, that stifles drama - likely why every few years we get an Apocalypse War or Necropolis or Day of Chaos, to screw up MC1 royally and maybe chip away some of that familiarity that feels so safe.

IDW Dredd has basically yanked Dredd clear out of his comfort zone and left him with no way back to it, and while I accept that may be tough to swallow for many, to me it succeeds by showing what Dredd is made of when he's left with a whole new world, one still badly in need of his particular brand of policing, but completely unfamiliar and stripped of the tech advantages Justice Department is used to. It's very clearly supposed to be the Wild West, and so the story becomes not about preserving the city, but of building it from the ground up.

I don't know, man, I just think there shouldn't be such a thing as 'going too far' with the same character who once beat Satan in a fistfight in a story written entirely in limericks.
    Yeah that is the only thing that can be done lol, but the city is very much core to Dredd and the Judges. You can still tell stories of bringing laws to lawless of Cursed Earth. I will stick with the regular good old Dredd, I have given each of the IDW a couple issues and they have all left me feeling pretty meh and the writers just do not understand Dredd. The Year One story was decent, but least they have been better then Predator vs Dredd vs Alien book Dark Horse just did.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 06-18-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

Finally got around to checking out some Judge Dredd comics. I got Judge Dredd Fourth Faction and Judge Anderson Shamballa. Both were very good and the universe is quite interesting. I am not really into getting the case files so I will be sticking with the other trades. The problem is there is not numbering on those and I wasn't able to find a chronological order for the trades. I know that after Fourth Faction I should get endgame, but what after that? Or what's the chronological order for the books set before the events of Fourth Faction. The same questions stand for Judge Anderson. Many thanks in advance!

That is the start of Day of Chaos so you would want to grab Endgame and then Fallout. After that I am not sure what the next trade is. Also not every issue is collected it may jump around a bit. They do not number the trades for Dredds only the Case Files get volume numbers. You are crazy to read Dredd and Anderson and skip all the classic stories in the case files, they are fairly cheap and years and years of amazing Dredd from John Wagner and others.

Off the top of my head, Trifecta, Deadzone and Titan are the only 3 post-Chaos Day Dredd trades on shelves at the moment. Personally I'd skip Deadzone - it's Wagner, yes, but it's Wagner-by-numbers and it's easy to find his better works - but the other two are well worth a go.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Off the top of my head, Trifecta, Deadzone and Titan are the only 3 post-Chaos Day Dredd trades on shelves at the moment. Personally I'd skip Deadzone - it's Wagner, yes, but it's Wagner-by-numbers and it's easy to find his better works - but the other two are well worth a go.
    Thanks! 10ch

There is also "Every empire falls",a recent(post DoC) epic.And you will probably be interested in Tour of Duty.
    Thou skipping out on Case Files is pretty much skipping on everything so...

Fantastic Member

Judge dredd is one of the greatest comic book characters of all time just stating a fact

All-New Member

Default Newbie, recommend me Judge Dredd comics

Hello everyone!

I have a question for all Judge Dread comic fans. I'm only aware that this serial is extremely long and varies in quality of stories and art, also i'm not intending to read all Judge Dread comics.

So, can someone recommend me 3,5,10... Judge Dredd stories? They don't have to be the best stories, but the ''one-shot'' ones. I wouldn't like to read many shorter stories (up to 150, 200 pages, preferably 50-100 pages) which aren't connected and which don't require knowledge about previous issues or something... Something to get familiar with Judge Dredd, something catchy with artwork i mentioned below... Basically all but big story arcs and complicated stories, or i'll get totally lost.
    Also, can you recommend Dredd stories with ''european'' type of art, similar to Enki Bilal, Moebius, etc? I wouldn't mind black and white Dredd comics too, for example Brian Bolland's, whose few Dredds were published here in my country.
    Last edited by JackJocko; 09-06-2017 at 04:11 AM. Reason: grammar mistake

See all the posts above your own.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJocko View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have a question for all Judge Dread comic fans. I'm only aware that this serial is extremely long and varies in quality of stories and art, also i'm not intending to read all Judge Dread comics.

So, can someone recommend me 3,5,10... Judge Dredd stories? They don't have to be the best stories, but the ''one-shot'' ones. I wouldn't like to read many shorter stories (up to 150, 200 pages, preferably 50-100 pages) which aren't connected and which don't require knowledge about previous issues or something... Something to get familiar with Judge Dredd, something catchy with artwork i mentioned below... Basically all but big story arcs and complicated stories, or i'll get totally lost.
    Also, can you recommend Dredd stories with ''european'' type of art, similar to Enki Bilal, Moebius, etc? I wouldn't mind black and white Dredd comics too, for example Brian Bolland's, whose few Dredds were published here in my country.
    America
    Dark Justice
    Mechanismo
    Mandroid
    Origins

Dredds pretty easy to get into though. Even the mega-epics. Youre doing yourself a disservice by not checking them out.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 09-06-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Zenith returning in prog 2050 sadly written by Smith and not Morrison, but Yeowell is on art.

So it is an actual story and not just a cameo?Or its a part of Indigo Prime?

No word just that he is back for 30th anniversary and rumored creative team.

All things considered,its probably just a cameo in SinDex.

I saw this at the store today and wanted to ask if any of you have read it. Is it good (there are no reviews online yet) and is Dredd in it?

https://smile.amazon.com/Dark-Judges...ds=dark+judges