Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Except its not the final Star Wars movie. That has been made abundantly clear. Its toted as the finale to this particular storyline the original movie started not the end of Star Wars. It is not that type of finale, people know this as its no secret. Its not as monumental an end as you're trying to make it out to be to justify an argument of extreme monetary disappointment. I absolutely thing the final two pictures could have done even better and that a lot of mistakes were made. But that doesn't the sequel trilogy financial failures. Trying to make that argument is a fool's errand, and thus the bulk of exaggeration is coming from your side, not apologists.
    Yeah, it's the end of this sub-series (admittedly the backbone of everything else), but the franchise will continue on. In context, while it maybe could've done better, it's at worst a minor misstep in a production plan that has overall done extremely well.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I want to be a part of a billion dollar failure.
    If the budget were big enough, even a billion dollars would not be enough to make it a success. Obviously, this is not the case here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Except its not the final Star Wars movie. That has been made abundantly clear. Its toted as the finale to this particular storyline the original movie started not the end of Star Wars. It is not that type of finale, people know this as its no secret. Its not as monumental an end as you're trying to make it out to be to justify an argument of extreme monetary disappointment. I absolutely thing the final two pictures could have done even better and that a lot of mistakes were made. But that doesn't the sequel trilogy financial failures. Trying to make that argument is a fool's errand, and thus the bulk of exaggeration is coming from your side, not apologists.
    i have no idea what you are reading, but i explicitly wrote skywalker saga not star wars. *confused*
    it completes the core saga though, and that is a big thing.

i reject this disney saga as a huge incoherent mess and it is banned for life from my head canon.
    it was disney that marketed it as the total eclipse of star wars, not me.

*off lightspeed skipping!
    yippie!
    Last edited by abulafia; 01-13-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i have no idea what you are reading, but i explicitly wrote skywalker saga not star wars. *confused*
    it completes the core saga though, and that is a big thing.

i reject this disney saga as a huge incoherent mess and it is banned for life from my head canon.
    it was disney that marketed it as the total eclipse of star wars, not me.

*off lightspeed skipping!
    yippie!
    I know you clarified Skywalker Saga. My rebuttal was that since it was not the end of Star Wars wholesale, that the idea it should have blown the doors off everything in the history of cinema because it was the end doesn't really hold a lot of weight. It completed the core of the main saga but the larger product is permeating every major avenue of entertainment quite possibly more than it ever has before. So it doesn't have the feeling of anything really ending.

And more power to you if you want to reject it, I'm not challenging you on that at all. That's your right. But again, Disney did not at all market this as the total eclipse of Star Wars. It marketed it as the end of this saga with it being made known in every way possible that the larger lore continues on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is a very important but seemingly overlooked point.

The heroes of the last trilogy are all dead. Han's death was understandable but killing off Luke really hurt the franchise and the overall mythology because of his position in it. Leia's death (which wasn't originally planned) pretty much had to happen with Carrie Fisher's death.

IMO, Disney could have done a more elegant job in the handling of the OT heroes and a smoother passing of the baton. As it were, it just seems like Disney went "lets just get rid of these guys to make way for our guys" without even considering the fact that audiences were heavily invested in these characters. Han, Luke and Leia are firmly entrenched in pop culture and getting rid of them inadvertently took away a lot of interest in the movies.
    Here's how it's gone for me:

Pre-THE FORCE AWAKENS: YAY! More STAR WARS! We get to see Han, Luke, and Leia again, and we get some new characters too!

Post-THE FORCE AWAKENS: Yay! We saw Han, Luke, and Leia again! But...they killed off Han? So soon? And Luke only shows up for a few seconds at the end? Oh, well...at least the new characters are pretty cool. But damn...no more Han going forward, and we never did get to see Han, Luke, and Leia all together. Oh, well: maybe there will be a flashback or Force Ghost (can Han become a Force Ghost?) in the next movie, which will definitely feature much more Luke.

Pre-LAST JEDI: Luke is going to be awesome in this!

Post-LAST JEDI: Well...Luke was kind of awesome in this, but not at all in the way I expected. Wish we'd seen more of him, but they killed him off too. I guess HE could become a Force Ghost in the next movie, but can Force Ghosts use lightsabers? Now Carrie Fisher is dead too, so what are they going to do with Leia in the next one? At least the new characters (kind of) hold my interest, though mostly through their associations with the classic characters.

Pre-RISE OF SKYWALKER: OK...somehow, everybody is going to be back for this last one.

Post-RISE OF SKYWALKER: Everybody WAS back for this last one (kind of, sort of)! But now everybody is dead and apparently, even the new characters aren't going to be back in the foreseeable future (we barely got to know you guys!). Where do we go from here?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 01-13-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Honestly I feel like the sequel trilogy would've been better off not being attached to the Skywalker saga. I think having it start as a blank slate would've been a better choice in hindsight. At least I think it wouldn't have been as divisive. What's done is done so now I think they'll have to start with a blank slate. I think the best choice would be to have some new bad guys.

Not an empire 3.0 or would that be 4.0? Point is a new type of bad guy could spice things up.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Here's how it's gone for me:

Pre-THE FORCE AWAKENS: YAY! More STAR WARS! We get to see Han, Luke, and Leia again, and we get some new characters too!

Post-THE FORCE AWAKENS: Yay! We saw Han, Luke, and Leia again! But...they killed off Han? So soon? And Luke only shows up for a few seconds at the end? Oh, well...at least the new characters are pretty cool. But damn...no more Han going forward, and we never did get to see Han, Luke, and Leia all together. Oh, well: maybe there will be a flashback or Force Ghost (can Han become a Force Ghost?) in the next movie, which will definitely feature much more Luke.

Pre-LAST JEDI: Luke is going to be awesome in this!

Post-LAST JEDI: Well...Luke was kind of awesome in this, but not at all in the way I expected. Wish we'd seen more of him, but they killed him off too. I guess HE could become a Force Ghost in the next movie, but can Force Ghosts use lightsabers? Now Carrie Fisher is dead too, so what are they going to do with Leia in the next one? At least the new characters (kind of) hold my interest, though mostly through their associations with the classic characters.

Pre-RISE OF SKYWALKER: OK...somehow, everybody is going to be back for this last one.

Post-RISE OF SKYWALKER: Everybody WAS back for this last one (kind of, sort of)! But now everybody is dead and apparently, even the new characters aren't going to be back in the foreseeable future (we barely got to know you guys!). Where do we go from here?

Thanks for sharing that and it is likely this view has gone the same way with other fans.

But honestly for me and I would no be surprised for others it is the reverse effect.

I was not really into Star Wars enough when the force awakens came out and while I liked it I thought it was ok. But as the films went on with Rouge One and Solo I began to feel this was a serious move by Disney to really restart the brand. Now by the end of 2019 and after Procrastinating badly on watching the last Jedi cause serious I was just lazy in getting to it LOL, I finally watched it on Netflixs.

I honestly enjoyed it much more then I thought I would and That got my fandom ball rolling for Star Wars more the maybe ever before. Then soon after I rewatched Rogue One, Solo and then final in between those I saw force awakens again and in a short of Irony I was final awake for this viewing, I really loved it more then before!

I was open minded when it came to Rise of Skywalker to go either way. But to my delight both on my 1st viewing and then a week later on my 2nd I Greatly enjoyed the movie far more then I thought and even more the 2nd time around. I felt the Big 3 of Rey, Finn and Poe jived far better the in any movie before and with more of the classic cast with them made me Love Star Wars more then maybe at any point in my life since I was a kid!

I am certain we see the Sequel Big 3 again down the road and I am now consuming Star Wars more then before and made me into a fan thanks to Rise of Skywalker!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-13-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Weekend Box Office Key Insights: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker To Reach $1B Globally This Week

Through Sunday, Disney’s sequel The Rise of Skywalker earned $478.2M domestic and $511.4M overseas, for a $989.6M global total. Although it fell slightly short of the billion-dollar mark, it looks to cross the threshold on Monday or Tuesday.

That would mean it reached the mark in either 25 or 26 days of release. While it’s hard to call a billion-dollar film a disappointment, previous installments The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi reached the mark in 12 and 19 days, respectively.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If the budget were big enough, even a billion dollars would not be enough to make it a success. Obviously, this is not the case here.
    I would guess that profit it made was much smaller the of the other billion dollar movies Disney had this year.

At the moment it looks like RoS will end with a World Wide Box office close to what Aladdin did, just that Aladdin had a budget below 200 Million.

Btw. it seems very unlikely that RoS gets even into the Top 5 for the World Wide Box office of 2019.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I was open minded when it came to Rise of Skywalker to go either way. But to my delight both on my 1st viewing and then a week later on my 2nd I Greatly enjoyed the movie far more then I thought and even more the 2nd time around. I felt the Big 3 of Rey, Finn and Poe jived far better the in any movie before and with more of the classic cast with them made me Love Star Wars more then maybe at any point in my life since I was a kid!
    Neither Finn nor Poe felt particularly Big for me.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I would guess that profit it made was much smaller the of the other billion dollar movies Disney had this year.

At the moment it looks like RoS will end with a World Wide Box office close to what Aladdin did, just that Aladdin had a budget below 200 Million.

Btw. it seems very unlikely that RoS gets even into the Top 5 for the World Wide Box office of 2019.
    While all of that may be true, TROS is still an unmitigated financial success.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quick question I have 200 dollars and you have 10 dollars. We are both selling 10 toys bought at 1 dollar for 2 dollars.

- I spend 5 dollars to buy signs to advertise, I spend another 5 dollars to hire another person walk around and sell toys. I sell all my toys make 20 dollars
    - You sold all your toys in 1 hour, went back got 20 toys and proceed 20 toys and sold all 20. You were more successful and made 40 dollars

Why I am not worried about the amount of money I made? The second you start to put a different measure for what is successful outing then we have consider then how much money the person has to play around with. I am disappointed that only made 20 dollars? Yes but it is end of the world? No I still have 200 dollars, while you made 40 dollars. Success for me and you are different things.

This what people are doing in this argument for Disney is spending more money making less profit therefore it is a disappointment. If selling all your toys isn't viewed as measure of success anymore because you are counting in that I have extra cost add in (which yes is fair) then you are making a mistake discounting that 190 dollars I have already and while I didn't make a profit. I am still in good shape moving forward and I am not hurt buy anything that makes some profit. It is fine go selling all your toys isn't measure of success but why you are acting like I am hurt by not making a profit this time or that I can afford to burn some money in effort to make even more.

But guess what is going to happen tomorrow in this scenario, I am going buy 30 toys and I will be in your spot and plus I am going to have 2 extra people in the spot I was yesterday and in a new spot. Who do you think is going to make more money this time? That is crazy part of the convo Disney didn't make max profit this time they are in trouble. No Disney is going try again and maybe extend out in different directions. They are going to another movie trilogy, They are going to do a TV show, They are going to do video game,etc So "failing" in one place like the movies or theme park doesn't hurt them as much. And guess what the Mandalorian is doing very well, and guess what Star Wars the Fallen order is doing well,The comics have been doing pretty good etc.

A billion is successful outing for anyone, A billion is successful outing for this film. No this film didn't maximize its profit potential. Yes Star Wars franchise has some real issues but how much of that being because of a transitional period to a new era or mismanagement remains to be seen. The 3 films made where productive enough financially that Disney will easily green light more films. And Star Wars in Darth Vader/Boba Fett solo movies and Old Republic trilogy imo have some easy softball projects they can do before they have to figure out where Star Wars has to go in the future without Skywalkers/Solo bunch. The sky is not falling yet imo
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-14-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Neither Finn nor Poe felt particularly Big for me.
    It's nice that others are enjoying the film, but I felt the same.....I actually liked the characters more when they were separated, as in TLJ.
    The problem is engaging though the characters are, they're not a patch on the OT cast regarding on screen chemistry.

In fact, Rey was at her best when interacting with Kylo Ren, who, love or hate him, was the best character in the entire ST. They tried to make Rey that person, but unfortunately they failed. I remember how Ellen Ripley began the Alien franchise as just a survivor only for her character to be skilfully crafted into one of moviedom's best bad ass females, thanks to Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron. Sadly Rey isn't a patch on her, and killing off the standout character in the ST just to push Rey has failed miserably. I actually walked out after Ben Solo's death because I was genuinely fed up of Rey/Poe/Finn.
    After seeing the actual ending on YouTube, I'm glad I did!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    It's nice that others are enjoying the film, but I felt the same.....I actually liked the characters more when they were separated, as in TLJ.
    The problem is engaging though the characters are, they're not a patch on the OT cast regarding on screen chemistry.
    The OT cast will always have the advantage of being first and forty years to marinate into the popular consciousness. Nothing ever beats first and longevity.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The OT cast will always have the advantage of being first and forty years to marinate into the popular consciousness. Nothing ever beats first and longevity.

I'm shocked at how fast The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda have leaped over Rey, Poe and Finn.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest