0 0%
  • Damian Wayne

0 0%
  • Jason Todd

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Very strange options.
    Diana is definitely number 3.
    Then things get more difficult, internationally Harley is 4th but in the West I’d say flash is 4th.

I lean to Flash but Johns era Green Lantern Hal Jordan, He was closer to breaking the ceiling. And that movie derail his momentum and he has gone in reverse. Wonder Woman feels like it should be the right answer but in comics she doesn't get anywhere near respect she gets outside. And her importance imo feels like it played up being a part of "The Trinity" I wonder what would happen if say Hal or Barry replaced her in the trinity what would happen. But Flash hasn't quite gotten full popularity swell despite his show but his character is built for big media adaptation (see Quicksilver in X-men and imagine a full movie of that) . I think he has higher ceiling in era where they are finally treat other heroes with respect.

So I say 3. Wonder Woman 4. Flash Barry Allen and 5. Green Lantern Hal Jordan. With a good flash movie I think he could pass Wonder Woman.

Retired

I see it as a character being so big and popular that he has enough star power to promote other characters in his camp. Which is what has happened with Batman and what has happened with Superman in the past. So I don't really consider Robin or Harley Quinn as distinct from Batman himself--they are part of his family and franchise and their success gives further proof of how big Batman has become. So another character like Green Lantern (Hal or whoever) proves his strength by supporting other characters in his world. Flash seemed to generate a family, but how is that going these days? And Wonder Woman, look at the wreck her family members are in.

But maybe Harley is the Fonzie and Batman is the Richie Cunningham. It's possible that Harley could get so big that people forget that Batman was ever the star of that franchise. It's happened before in the comics (the strips and the books) where the original character was pushed into the background and even squeezed out entirely. Batman should watch his back.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...les-march.html
    this is based on the sales until March 2019

If you have other numbers etc. ok, but based on this Catwoman or Harley seem to be Nr.3...Catwoman had sales between 32,000 and 64,700 with 121,000 for Catwoman #1 at the end last year...
    Catwoman enjoys a sale spike because of the BatCat thing and because fans have been waiting for a Catwoman series since it's canceled at the end of New 52, but sales have its up and down. New 52 Catwoman sales, for example, was so bad (because the book was so bad), while the Ed Brubaker run is very popular. I'm judging more for the all-time appeal.

That said, she's really big and recognizable outside comics, specifically in Batman movies, TV and games.

In merchandising though, Harley and Wonder Woman got the edge. Harley's red and black pattern makes for a fun and stylish fashion, and Wonder Woman is a standard for girls backpacks, costumes, and lunchboxes. Catwoman I don't see that often.

I forgot about Flash. He's big too, but I haven't been paying attention.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-09-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

But maybe Harley is the Fonzie and Batman is the Richie Cunningham. It's possible that Harley could get so big that people forget that Batman was ever the star of that franchise. It's happened before in the comics (the strips and the books) where the original character was pushed into the background and even squeezed out entirely. Batman should watch his back.
    I don't see that happening but I do agree that Harley is the only person in Bat-family of characters that works without Batman being in the picture in any form. She is DC's Deadpool a character who is this new chaotic antihero archetype that can work as a comedy character, straight up antihero and villain can switch between all of them seamlessly.

NOT TRUE!

1. if you insert Wonder Woman THEN YES!!! BUT!!You should put it "Wonder Woman" and then it gets reduced to 10,000!!
    2. Also then you still have normal shirts etc. because the description includes WOMAN....
    3. To be fair, most of the Wonder Woman Articles just came up, because of the Movie and because we will have a second movie
    No need to shout, and compensating for the better methodology reduces Captain America (10k+), Green Lantern (3k+), and Harley Quinn (5k+) as well, though not by as much.

But looking at the merchandise, a lot of it is based on the iconography, older costumes, and so on; it's not all movie.

Anyway, the idea here isn't to say that merchandise beats everything, but it's one factor that should be taken into consideration, just as you do with comics sales, film revenue, and other factors.

The amount of Wonder Woman bags, clothing, and accessories is really staggering. In the baby category she leaves all other superheroes in the dust with over 1,000 products. No clue why, but it's clear she is a cultural powerhouse, and has been for a long time. The Trinity moniker I think is more a recognition from DC on her status than an attempt to elevate it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Spectacular Member

Wonder Woman. Her movie's success and the Green Lantern movie's failure cemented that. The character is genuinely iconic. Fourth place is hard to decide. The Aquaman movie was hugely successful but you don't see much of the character beyond that. Green Lantern under Johns and now Morrison is only behind Batman in popularity in comics but under a meh writer like Venditti floundered for a while. The Flash hasn't had a movie yet but the character tends to be at the centre of almost every major DC event and the TV show has a good following.

Robin, Joker, Harley Quinn and Catwoman are Batman supporting characters so they shouldn't count here imo.

Retired

Certain people have always been poo-pooing Wonder Woman's star-spangled short-shorts and her gravity-defying bustier and her red star tiara and her bondage fetish, but the truth is the general masses love all that stuff and it's a major factor in why her merchandise is consistently popular. Some of the folks who want to put pants on Diana and make her more respectable need to get over themselves and understand that the Amazing Amazon was born this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Certain people have always been poo-pooing Wonder Woman's star-spangled short-shorts and her gravity-defying bustier and her red star tiara and her bondage fetish, but the truth is the general masses love all that stuff and it's a major factor in why her merchandise is consistently popular. Some of the folks who want to put pants on Diana and make her more respectable need to get over themselves and understand that the Amazing Amazon was born this way.
    And yet almost all of these things were excluded from the film with no problem. The bondage thing hasn't been relevant in decades and the shorts have been replaced with a skirt.

Also, no she was not "born that way" seeing as how she had a skirt in her original depiction and the shorts were added later.

Actually, no one had an issue with the tiara.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I didn't notice the poll ask for Number 4 and 5.

After some deliberation, I think after Wonder Woman I'm going to put either Robin the brand or Dick Grayson the character on Number 4 and Harley on Number 5 because even though Harley's been getting popular since the 90s and peaked in the recent years, Dick Grayson or Robin have been a household name since the 60s.

Which choices would you sort out?
    Impulse,Damian,Jason,Cassie,Roy and Garth ok,maybe Donna....I would replace them with Catwoman,Harley....)

I would rather say:

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Flash and Wonder Woman (really close, Flash has his own TV Series, he is shown in the DCAU, he is shown prominently in Big Bang Theory, which also has MANY Fans and I think it also made him popular among Not-Comic-Readers....and he was also in the Justice League Film in Cinema)
    4. Harley,Nightwing and Catwoman (Nightwing was for long time among the best-sellers in Comics, is shown in Young Justice TV Series, Titans TV Series, in the DCAU...) and he was also in the Arkham Games...

I would also say that Kon El has a good chance to become a bigger star, he is the Main-Protagonist of the Young Justice TV Series, was shown prominently in the DCAU Film "Reign of the Supermen", will be in the Titans Series and recently turned back in Young Justice Comics, which first issue was a major Success with 71,000 sold copies....And he has the advantage of being part of the Superman Franchise...
    At the Moment he is in ALMOST every form of DC Franchise....

Shazam and Aquaman are difficult, both had their own Cinema Film now....Aquaman doesnt sell so much Comics, but Shazam might have gained momentum by the Cinema Film....
    Of the choices in the poll, I find
    Donna Troy
    Kon El
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Roy Harper
    Garth (Tempest)
    Impulse
    to all be questionable options compared to many other more iconic or better-exposed DC characters such as Batgirl, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn, Joker, Lex Luthor, Supergirl, and perhaps even Swamp Thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Wonder Woman. Her movie's success and the Green Lantern movie's failure cemented that. The character is genuinely iconic. Fourth place is hard to decide. The Aquaman movie was hugely successful but you don't see much of the character beyond that. Green Lantern under Johns and now Morrison is only behind Batman in popularity in comics but under a meh writer like Venditti floundered for a while. The Flash hasn't had a movie yet but the character tends to be at the centre of almost every major DC event and the TV show has a good following.

Robin, Joker, Harley Quinn and Catwoman are Batman supporting characters so they shouldn't count here imo.
    Not forgetting BIG BANG THEORY, where FLASH got a MAJOR PUSH by the Main-Characters...
    Dressing up as Flash, Sheldon wearing Flash Shirts, MANY Flash References....

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Of the choices in the poll, I find
    Donna Troy
    Kon El
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Roy Harper
    Garth (Tempest)
    Impulse
    to all be questionable options compared to many other more iconic or better-exposed DC characters such as Batgirl, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn, Joker, Lex Luthor, Supergirl, and perhaps even Swamp Thing.
    Impulse,Garth,Roy and Cassie YES....
    Kon El and Donna NO!

Donna and especially Kon El are much more Icons than Swamp Thing,Batgirl and Supergirl....

-Kon El is in YOUNG JUSTICE (TV SERIES), "REIGN OF SUPERMEN" (ANIME FILM), TITANS (SERIES), SMALLVILLE (SERIES), he was popularly shown in Injustice Comics, returned as adult Superman in Comics and in January returned in YOUNG JUSTICE (COMIC SERIES) and during the Kessel Era he had a extremely successful Comic Book Solo-Run...and he was at the centre of IC...

-Supergirl was for long time not a part of DC and is only popular at the moment because she has a Series on her own..

-Batgirl is relatively ok, BUT not very popular especially compared to Donna,Catowman....

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't see that happening but I do agree that Harley is the only person in Bat-family of characters that works without Batman being in the picture in any form. She is DC's Deadpool a character who is this new chaotic antihero archetype that can work as a comedy character, straight up antihero and villain can switch between all of them seamlessly.
    Nightwing works also PERFECTLY without Batman....
    Catwoman also...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post

NOT TRUE!!

http://yetanothercomicsblog.blogspot...les-march.html

It depends how many Comics Lantern will sell in future, BUT he is still behind Batman,Superman...

Green Lantern is more or less at the level of Catwoman,Harley,Flash,maybe Shazam...

Catwoman sells as many comics as Green Lantern at the moment and Nightwing was for long time (with his Solo-Series) a bestseller in DC and sold MORE than Lantern and Wonder Woman..

BANNED

The only way I see Flash or Green Lantern as number 3 would be as a franchise. Which would be a weird way to rank it given the title of the OP. If it was "Whose DC's 3rd biggest staple" then i could see Flash and Green Lantern as contenders but you'd also have to include The Justice League and Titan franchises.

I wouldnt consider Flash and GL nr 3 cause there are pretty much 2 prominent characters of wash alias Hal/John, and Barry/Wally and then it didn't even start with either of those 4 characters. Alan and Jay. Whereas Nr1 and Nr2 have always been Clark and Bruce as their definite roles throughout time so id expect the same to be for the Nr3. Robin is a good candidate but he has the same issue as Flash and GL on top of the fact the original Robin moved on from the role and has been operating as Nightwing for about 3 decades now? I'd say the Nr3. Should have more of a hold to their name then just up and switching it like such and being away from it for so long.

Honeslty getting to the point its Diana she was around in the Golden Age she has cultural impact. Merchandise sales, brand recognigtion and so on. Id say Aquaman and Flash(as a brand) are runnerups for #4.