Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

It seems like writers are more inclined to create a pet character than a new villain. I wish Lemire didn’t kill off Sapna/World-Eater. We knew she wasn’t gonna last long, but we could’ve gotten a tragic villain out of it. Guggie’s 0101 and Lydia Nance were just worse versions of Bastion and Senator Kelly/Stryker types.

They should’ve let Bunn make Fantomex a permanent villain. Also, Someday Corporations should come back.

Also writer these days barely stay 1 year on books, so developing new villains is even harder

Keep the villans villains, Emma works better that way if Scott can't carry her.
    The x-men will become an snoozefest if all their villains are redeemed or likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with him. Lol His good version was the best Creed's been in ages.
    Agreed. I loved that run. I bought it for Betsy and found myself really enjoying everyone in it.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. I loved that run. I bought it for Betsy and found myself really enjoying everyone in it.
    I miss Bunn's run. Especially compared to Rosenberg's.

But his run got ruined with events before the cancellation. Doesn't help that everything from his run has been ignored, making it pointless. So I can hardly go back & read it again knowing nothing in the story matters after issue 19.

Minis are one thing. Those are small entertainment. But an entire on-going rendered moot by subsequent writers / editors takes all the enjoyment out. Especially if you really wanted more.

Bunn promised a lot of stuff with Uncanny, and I was interested in every last bit of it. When I think of the great stuff we could've gotten but didn't in favor of the crap we have now, I literally seethe in anger.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-16-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    Keep the villans villains, Emma works better that way if Scott can't carry her.
    The x-men will become an snoozefest if all their villains are redeemed or likeable.
    Emma was in Gen X for a long time without Scott and she pretty much carried that comic. Emma can stand on her own and still be part of the X-Men. Her dream is to be a schoolteacher she is not exactly the world destroying villain type. Emma's thing is being a little obsessed about protecting mutants and specifically protecting her students.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Finally got around to read this. OMG, Emma, apologies don't mean a whole lot if you keep doing the same crap over and over again, lol.

Anyway. Firstly, poor Nasty Boys. Secondly... wait, did the x-office seriously cook up a fake(?) vaccine subplot just to screw up human/mutant relations so bad that MU folks would forget about how dumb X-Men Gold/Red were? Because as far as scapegoating petty moves, that would be a darn funny one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Emma was in Gen X for a long time without Scott and she pretty much carried that comic. Emma can stand on her own and still be part of the X-Men. Her dream is to be a schoolteacher she is not exactly the world destroying villain type. Emma's thing is being a little obsessed about protecting mutants and specifically protecting her students.
    Actually the kids carried Gen X far more than Emma or Sean did. jubilee, Monet, Jono, Ev and the rest were the stars of that book. Emma did her part but no she did not carry the book. Emma didn't really break out until she got into Morrison's hands and really exploded after Jean died.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Also writer these days barely stay 1 year on books, so developing new villains is even harder
    This probably has something to do with it too if their lucky they get 11-13 issues to tell their story and that's assuming Marvel doesn't interrupt the narrative with a crappy Event or make certain characters off-limit.

In a perfect world we'd get a (competent) writer to maybe have a 2-4 year run on a book with a clear beginning, middle, and end with minimal editorial interference.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It seems like writers are more inclined to create a pet character than a new villain. I wish Lemire didn’t kill off Sapna/World-Eater. We knew she wasn’t gonna last long, but we could’ve gotten a tragic villain out of it. Guggie’s 0101 and Lydia Nance were just worse versions of Bastion and Senator Kelly/Stryker types.

They should’ve let Bunn make Fantomex a permanent villain. Also, Someday Corporations should come back.
    I would have liked to see Fantomex turned into a villain, and E.V.A into a hero. As in, she abandons him when he becomes a villain, and Fantomex becomes obsessed with getting his other half back.
    That is how it was in Morrison's Here Comes Tomorrow, where E.V.A. was a hero and Fantomex had become Apolyon iirc, and served Sublime Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    This probably has something to do with it too if their lucky they get 11-13 issues to tell their story and that's assuming Marvel doesn't interrupt the narrative with a crappy Event or make certain characters off-limit.

In a perfect world we'd get a (competent) writer to maybe have a 2-4 year run on a book with a clear beginning, middle, and end with minimal editorial interference.
    Seems like we are getting that from Hickman. Last years of x-men books is full of writers writing for a short term, re-starts, crossovers...

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Actually the kids carried Gen X far more than Emma or Sean did. jubilee, Monet, Jono, Ev and the rest were the stars of that book. Emma did her part but no she did not carry the book. Emma didn't really break out until she got into Morrison's hands and really exploded after Jean died.
    Morrison had some of worst decisions on his new x-men.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 06-17-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    More people back from the dead with no explanation? Shinobi Shaw and Sienna Blaze were definitely dead. Cant keep up with Cortez but I think he was dead as well. Fitzroy I dont know??
    We never saw Shinobi's death, and Blaze died in a crappy Weapon X series that is best retconned away.

Not to defend Rosenberg, mind, just saying

Derailing the villains thread, but this is fairly weak storytelling in the panel breakdowns and the dialogue. The figures are drawn decently, but this is the least thrilling & visually exciting ambush I can imagine.

That's a problem just for this issue though. I think the biggest thing that is wrong with this run is something I just figured out how to say.

The problem is that it's written for the eventual trade. Others have said in this forums in various threads that "the story will read better after it's over" or "we'll see what it's building to".

Meanwhile it's frustrating people so much, month by month, they're being turned off of ever coming back for the resolution (or at least from buying it). All the death is just crashing sales in the meantime, thinking they'll rebound for the finale. And maybe, but probably not by enough...

Comic Geek in General

Still think there’s someone pulling strings, a.......Mastermind, if you will.......(if Sinestro could fake his death in a effort to drive Hal Jordan further into Parallax’s control, why couldn’t Wyngarde, just to manipulate his enemies without their knowledge, picking now for a endgame.......most of his targets, like the rest of the Original Team, Magneto, and especially Jean, are gone, leaving Frost, who he once rendered comatose, and Cyclops, who he faced several times........now would be the best time to reveal himself to gloat .......so next Issue would be the Villain Confession plus the Showdown......)

I’m salty AF about the Nasty Boys lol. I’m a big Chamber fan but this one irritated me more. The reveal of their bodies and the sequence of introductions was on some Scooby Doo level hokey.