Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I keep thinking a good way to repackage Magpie herself would be as a victim of Hugo Strange trying to replicate his (incredibly twisted and sexist) view of Catwoman on some poor soul, taking someone with regular, treatable kleptomania, and drugging and hypnotizing them into the irrational Magpie we all know and love.

That’s partially because I couldn’t help but think that I wanted to see a Grey Griffin’s Catwoman Duke it out with Grey Griffin’s Magpie, woth Selina providing a witty but panicked rebuttal of everything Strange did to Magpie along with a growing sympathy for the woman as well.
    I'm not sure if we need Hugo Strange involved over Magpie just having genuine mental problems, but a dual between the two black-leather clad thieves could be pretty fun .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if we need Hugo Strange involved over Magpie just having genuine mental problems, but a dual between the two black-leather clad thieves could be pretty fun .
    I suppose I like the idea of Strange making her Magpie because Beware the Batman reminded me of the guilty sensation I get when people mention that Batman beating up a bunch of mentally unwell people is a bad look, but that Magpie being brainwashed makes her mental illness’s artificial in origin, gives her a sympathetic victim origin, and would blend really well with Strange’s old “Monster Maker” MO; particularly if you gave Batman or someone a goal to try and undo Strange’s work on Magpie and other villains.

In general, I think Magpie kind of suffers from the fact that she basically just occupies Catwoman’s old “killer thief” niche, and her Beware redesign made a more overt Catwoman expy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I suppose I like the idea of Strange making her Magpie because Beware the Batman reminded me of the guilty sensation I get when people mention that Batman beating up a bunch of mentally unwell people is a bad look, but that Magpie being brainwashed makes her mental illness’s artificial in origin, gives her a sympathetic victim origin, and would blend really well with Strange’s old “Monster Maker” MO; particularly if you gave Batman or someone a goal to try and undo Strange’s work on Magpie and other villains.

In general, I think Magpie kind of suffers from the fact that she basically just occupies Catwoman’s old “killer thief” niche, and her Beware redesign made a more overt Catwoman expy.
    Interesting that Magpie exist in the Arrowverse. She was the villain in the episode of Batwoman "Who Are YOU?". But no mention of Selina Kyle or Catwoman yet. Even if they can't use Catwoman it would
    seem people would know about her.

Thoughts on the Harley Quinn animated incarnation of Catwoman?

Initially I was put off by the stills of the character because of lack of (mischievous) expression and color (I wish the sheen on the black costume were purple), but after watching the preview clip I’m
    Game to see more of the Sanaa Lathan voiced character....

But I *still* think the voicing style could have gone further into camp.

I liked how Selina was the coolest one in the room and Poison Ivy fangirling all over Selina. But how Harley was cold to Selina. Jealous maybe that Ivy was drooling all over Selina?
    Someone was complaining about how Catwoman is a black woman in this version. But I think it was just the lighting because to me she looks white in most of the episode.
    It was a generalized rant about race bending Catwoman though, because Catwoman is definitely a black woman in DC Super Hero Girls, even though she had previously been white.
    She felt this is going to confuse people because they see Catwoman as a black woman in other media and then she is a white woman in the comic books. Do you care if Catwoman
    is black or white? Should the comic books make Catwoman black to reflect her being black in other media such as the upcoming The Batman movie? (She did acknowledge Eartha
    Kitt so it's not like she was ignorant of Catwoman previously being black in other media)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Thoughts on the Harley Quinn animated incarnation of Catwoman?

Initially I was put off by the stills of the character because of lack of (mischievous) expression and color (I wish the sheen on the black costume were purple), but after watching the preview clip I’m
    Game to see more of the Sanaa Lathan voiced character....

But I *still* think the voicing style could have gone further into camp.
    She was pretty much peak Catwoman in that episode...even if she was also kind of a jerk.

Incredible Member

I thought she was terrible, tbh. The voice was too exaggerated, it didn't fit the show at all. She seemed like a caricature who dropped in from Family Guy or something.

I've never really gotten a sense that anyone who's not an average joe in the DC universe is all that enamored with Selina (besides Bruce, of course, and maybe a few other exceptions). So it was strange to see her portrayed that way here; not her being cool, but her being preternaturally cool. Especially odd to see most of that coming from Ivy of all people, sense she's typically the more seductive of the two of them.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Someone was complaining about how Catwoman is a black woman in this version. But I think it was just the lighting because to me she looks white in most of the episode.
    She is clearly black. We've seen what the other white characters look like and they do not resemble Selina in the slightest.

Spectacular Member

You know this whole discussion about her color harkens back to something pretty personal to me. 5 years ago, when it was decided that she was canonically bisexual, I rallied against that, I despised that changed because back then, I was viciously homophobic.

After a few weeks, I realized that I can’t just force people to do what I want them to do and learning about other experiences people had with coming out changed me for the better. I learned that I have to let people do what they want for whatever reason they may have and just go with it, all the while fixing my own behavior.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    You know this whole discussion about her color harkens back to something pretty personal to me. 5 years ago, when it was decided that she was canonically bisexual, I rallied against that, I despised that changed because back then, I was viciously homophobic.

After a few weeks, I realized that I can’t just force people to do what I want them to do and learning about other experiences people had with coming out changed me for the better. I learned that I have to let people do what they want for whatever reason they may have and just go with it, all the while fixing my own behavior.
    I... missed that. How was she considered bisexual? Also glad you are working on your attidude that's all we can. I started working on my attitude 2 years ago. Sometimes its easy, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I... missed that. How was she considered bisexual?
    https://www.bustle.com/articles/6710...ially-bisexual
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Especially odd to see most of that coming from Ivy of all people, sense she's typically the more seductive of the two of them.
    Ivy had a thing for her in the Hush story, one of the reasons she agreed to be part of Hush and Riddler's plot as it would involve her mind-controlling Selina. The animated movie adaptation exaggerated it to rapey levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Ivy had a thing for her in the Hush story, one of the reasons she agreed to be part of Hush and Riddler's plot as it would involve her mind-controlling Selina. The animated movie adaptation exaggerated it to rapey levels.
    I thought that was payback for the times Selina busted her or beat her up prior to that story.