Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Very lame...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    Except Marvel has ALREADY told us the outcome of this story because the story is PURE shock-value as a hook. Do you think Steve is staying a Hydra agent? Do I? Does ANYONE with half-a-brain? No. In effect, by writing something so over the top and clearly "shock value" based Marvel has made it painfully clear that this will be reversed in short order. Hell, you're talking about Marvel not telling outcomes of stories when they prominently advertise (sometimes in the books you're currently reading) new stories that show the outcome of current stories.
    You could have said the same about bringing back Bucky. I mean for decades the saying among comic book fans is no character stays dead except Bucky and Uncle Ben and then what does Marvel go and do? It would be easy to scoff back then specifically as it seems to be a retread of what DC had done with mixed success with Jason Todd but they made it work. Same with killing off Steve Rogers and having Bucky replace him, it was a gimmick, a stunt but it was also a good story.

I would ask again (something that detractors seem unwilling to answer) is if this is part of a larger story that will inevitably show Steve Rogers becoming "himself" is it really a reversal when it was never meant to last in the first place? Also it seems to suggest there wouldn't be repercussions felt after the story was over. He could feel responsible for the actions he took as a Hydra agent and work to correct them, he could realize he's actually quite good at covert operations and we could see that reflected in future stories.

Telling these stories "over the course of many months" is exactly one of the problems with the medium currently. These stories DO NOT need to be stretched out this much and it immensely turns people off. It is another symptom of the problem with the industry and their entire approach. It is part of why they can't get new readers.
    hmmm

That is the kool-aid the industry wants you to believe. Japan has been more plugged in for longer than us and their comic market murders ours. Hell, the manga market in America should be a wake-up call to the major US comic companies...but it isn't. The irony being that a lot of how Japan approaches their comics is similar to what worked so well for US comics in the past. Practices that the US industry has abandoned. Practices that grow readership instead of dwindling it.
    You mean long form and decompressed storytelling? That's a big aspect of manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    You could have said the same about bringing back Bucky. I mean for decades the saying among comic book fans is no character stays dead except Bucky and Uncle Ben and then what does Marvel go and do? It would be easy to scoff back then specifically as it seems to be a retread of what DC had done with mixed success with Jason Todd but they made it work. Same with killing off Steve Rogers and having Bucky replace him, it was a gimmick, a stunt but it was also a good story.
    Irrelevant to my points.

I would ask again (something that detractors seem unwilling to answer) is if this is part of a larger story that will inevitably show Steve Rogers becoming "himself" is it really a reversal when it was never meant to last in the first place? Also it seems to suggest there wouldn't be repercussions felt after the story was over. He could feel responsible for the actions he took as a Hydra agent and work to correct them, he could realize he's actually quite good at covert operations and we could see that reflected in future stories.
    I'm not a detractor of the story. I'm fine with it. And if it's part of the story? That depends on the context of the story because Cap could be lying, etc. Could he be legit and then they might reverse it in the story somehow? Sure. That'd be a reversal. Which isn't a good thing or a bad thing. However, it would also show that it wasn't intended to last (which, let's be honest, it isn't) which would mean that Marvel absolutely positively presented it as something other than what it was. Which is just silly because it whips up needless reactions. It focuses on the SHOCK of the story hook rather than actually pointing at the story itself. That's not only counter-productive, it seems to suggest a wrong-headedness regarding their own talent and product. Again, I think a response along the lines of "Seems crazy, right? Well, you gotta see what's behind this turn of events!" is a much better focus on the direction of the story and the fact that this "SHOCK" is a part of that rather than going "This is lasting forever, guys! TOTALLY! It's how it's ALWAYS been! Seriously! We swear!" because Marvel has a garbage track record with, y'know, following through on ANYTHING they say like that. If GoT came out and said "Trust us, folks, character X is DEFINITELY dead and gone forever" after implying they died... and then brought him back a couple episodes later people would be rather pissed off because they would have misrepresented what their story was attempting to present.

Beyond that, I'd also say that the statement just makes the entire run of Captain America look stupid if you take it at face value...and that also undermines the product. "Yup, Steve has ALWAYS been a Hydra agent...especially when he foiled Hydra from LITERALLY taking over the world several times...and dismantled the organization several times...and has been their biggest impediment all this time. Yup, totally a double agent then". It makes it all look dumb and poorly thought through. Can the story reveal what is actually going on with Steve? Again, yes, absolutely. It almost certainly will. It doesn't make Marvel's statements look any less dumb to the laymen, however. Non-comic readers KNOW that Cap has been ruining Hydra's stuff since pretty much Day 1...so, if he was REALLY, a Hydra agent all along (via retcon) that would indeed be really really stupid.

You mean long form and decompressed storytelling? That's a big aspect of manga.
    Except differences exist across the mediums. Manga is a single voice for a very long time. They also focus on more "kewl" cliff-hangers and match-ups which kids LOVE. They also publish weekly and at a lower price mark so the decompression has less lulls in-between portions of the story. Marvel doesn't mimic any of that really.

Astonishing Member

There a few ways I'm looking at this

First it's a shock value shift to pull attention away from dc rebirth which in itself seems a little cheap
    Second it's a bluff to draw interest which I get but has totally turned me off getting the series now since I was so looking forward to the real captain america being back
    Finally it's what it seems to be - a big retcon to twist the interest in the character which if it turns out tru will likely put me off marvel for a half decade like one more day did

It's too soon for me to decide of course and ill give it a couple more issues to see where it's going but as I was going to start again picking up all captain america books including the team stuff it's also a temping jump away point

I appreciate the story isn't told yet but there opening gambit has not inclined me to pay for it��
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-31-2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    There a few ways I'm looking at this

First it's a shock value shift to pull attention away from dc rebirth which in itself seems a little cheap
    As this was a storyline that's been planned and worked on for the past 16 months, it's safe to say it had zero to do with Rebirth. It was going to happen regardless of whatever DC had going on. The fact that both issues were released the same day was a coincidence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As this was a storyline that's been planned and worked on for the past 16 months, it's safe to say it had zero to do with Rebirth. It was going to happen regardless of whatever DC had going on. The fact that both issues were released the same day was a coincidence.
    Probably but they could have worked it to match up - it's not like rebirth has been a secret and a lot of people expected a move by dc when the main titles reached 52 so it's unlikely but still very possible

Incredible Member

Prefacing this with the required statement that death threats are 100% not cool.

Marvel, however, has for the better part of a decade and a half (minimum) forgotten or ignored the fact that the fans do in fact care about their beloved characters and do in fact invest a great deal of themselves in their fandom. Pushing BS "events" like this spits directly in their faces and they become understandably upset. How wouldyou feel if someone came and took a colossal crap all over something you had put years, sometimes decades, of devotion and energy into?

Marvel does not have clean hands in all this, and hasn't for a long time. They go out of their way to provoke fans (especially Old School fans) then wonder why they get nasty feedback about it. Ask Spider-Girl fans about how "innocent" Marvel is, esp the fans who were around for the "Jemas and Joey" era.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    Prefacing this with the required statement that death threats are 100% not cool.

Marvel, however, has for the better part of a decade and a half (minimum) forgotten or ignored the fact that the fans do in fact care about their beloved characters and do in fact invest a great deal of themselves in their fandom. Pushing BS "events" like this spits directly in their faces and they become understandably upset. How wouldyou feel if someone came and took a colossal crap all over something you had put years, sometimes decades, of devotion and energy into?

Marvel does not have clean hands in all this, and hasn't for a long time. They go out of their way to provoke fans (especially Old School fans) then wonder why they get nasty feedback about it. Ask Spider-Girl fans about how "innocent" Marvel is, esp the fans who were around for the "Jemas and Joey" era.

I do think marvel has less respect for its history than it used to but it's their characters so I suppose all I can do is lose a little respect for them?.?

Last edited by Winterboy; 05-31-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

Quite possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    The Cube girl wish him back to health but merged him with some of Zemo's thinkings?

Though to me it does not matter why. I am done reading this title and will not get #2. Maybe after the storyline is done I will pick it back up. The only way I can protest is with my wallet and it is happy to protest over this.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 05-31-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    The Cube girl wish him back to health but merged him with some of Zemo's thinkings?

Though to me it does not matter why. I am done reading this title and will not get #2. Maybe after the storyline is done I will pick it back up. The only way I can protest is with my wallet and it is happy to protest over this.
    why? ..................

All-New Member

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheHero View Post
    This is interesting, and was shocking to say the least... Funny how people are freaking out instead of seeing how this plays out. You can't say anyone was expecting this, it's entertaining and the artwork is gorgeous. I don't get the negative reaction at all... This could lead to a very cool story arc.
    Artwork was gorgeous? As bad as the story line is - and it's one of the worst in comic book history- the artwork was worse. It often didn't even seem to match up with the story or action at all. And what's with Sharon Carter? She seemed to get older in every scene that she appeared in! All Cap's fans have patiently waited for his return to form and this is what we get? Sad....Rebirth, my dollars are headed your way...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post

long said if people don't like it don't buy it - it's the only thing they count - I know some people say stick with it til the story's done but comics aren't cheap

they pull a move like this its gonna get readers and lose some - for me if I don't get on board with a book from the start i tend to never get back with it

BANNED

If you read with the way it was meant to, you can tell sinclair is sin sent back via cosmic cube. The red colors in the background hint Red skull influence.

Bye, I have to make new universes.