Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I haven't read the latest books but I loved everything about Future State Aquaman. Jackdon was cool, Andy was cool, the art was great, and I loved the idea of the intergalactic ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    one of the most reliable and most respected source for Aquaman on twitter
    Can you give a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't read the latest books but I loved everything about Future State Aquaman. Jackdon was cool, Andy was cool, the art was great, and I loved the idea of the intergalactic ocean.
    Well there are many things I like in comics but that don't seem to get the same response from other fans. As I said before, I liked KSD run, but I was aware that most did not, it ended canceled as matter of fact, despite I liked it.

FS Aquaman was the lowest selling book of the series, written by the same scribe as the latest books. We can't even blame it on just one character, because one of these books is about Green Arrow and Aquaman which is doing poorly! a book that should brought in fans of Ollie and Arthur! Logic tells you that if all these books are doing poorly with different characters, they are not the problem. However the problem for these character lies in the damage they may sustain in the mean time. Aquaman and Green Arrow cannot take more cancelations and low sales. With Aquaman especially it seems back to pre N52 in which he was a big problem for DC.

Numbers don't lie whatever our personal likes.

Legacy numbering would bring it to issue 323 or so, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    These Curry's sure do lose limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    These Curry's sure do lose limbs.
    not a very original concept making the curry's lose limbs.
    Why Aquaman never has someone who can explore different paths and no rehash is beyond explanation. Writers always struggle with this, the ones who don't and do well get removed.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

not a very original concept making the curry's lose limbs.
    Why Aquaman never has someone who can explore different paths and no rehash is beyond explanation. Writers always struggle with this, the ones who don't and do well get removed.
    That's true.
    He's King! No he's not. He's King! No he's not.
    Oh no! It's Black Manta! Look out! It's Ocean Master! Oh no! It's Black Manta! Look out! It's Ocean Master!

Larsen introduced a sub species of underwater dwellers (well before the Trench appeared), a great idea - but just didn't handle it well.
    Jurgens wrote him as confident King of the most powerful nation on the planet - then the series got canned.
    Pfeifer introduced Sub Diego but was quickly gone and the plot dropped.

Both Peter David and Geoff Johns showed the character can succeed, you just need a writer who takes the property seriously and is willing to give Arthur the gravitas he deserves.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That's true.
    Oh no! It's Black Manta! Look out! It's Ocean Master! Oh no! It's Black Manta! Look out! It's Ocean Master!

Larsen introduced a sub species of underwater dwellers (well before the Trench appeared), a great idea - but just didn't handle it well.
    Jurgens wrote him as confident King of the most powerful nation on the planet - then the series got canned.

Both Peter David and Geoff Johns showed the character can succeed, you just need a writer who takes the property seriously and is willing to give Arthur the gravitas he deserves.
    Not to mention the reasons they give for all that, a monarchy is not an American thing, abolish it, after 80years they realized that it is not American to have a monarchy in Aquaman? The misfortune of Aquaman was that Geoff Johns was removed because he was outselling other DC characters, it didn't go well at DC that Aquaman was achieving that, neither that Johns proved him(Didio) wrong. Johns said he had plans for a 100 issue run.

Instead of being glad that a character that was a problem and that the problem was fixed, they did their utmost to unfix it. Parker's run was solid not at Johns level in terms of sales, but good numbers. Instead they removed him too. Recently Parker gave an interview about his Aquaman run, reading it made me realize the man really understood the characters... it was criminal that he was removed.

As for any potential new writer taking this property seriously? I doubt that DC has that person at the moment, maybe Williamson. A writer that takes over Aquaman, must first love these characters, must know what works and what doesn't, avoid trappings of rehashed stories or bits, have the courage to take new paths plenty of unexplored stories that have never been tapped, avoiding putting into the storylines personal or political views, enough Atlantean politics, concentrate on the fun and adventure, not unnecessary drama, come up with new villains I am bored to death with manta and orm. In few words I can't see a writer at DC that has those requirements even in view that big names in DC are gone. I doubt DC even wants to solve the problem, for what I am seeing they are content to have Arthur at level he was pre New52. All that has been achieved in the last decade, which was good for Aquaman has been thrown away.

Not to mention the reasons they give for all that, a monarchy is not an American thing, abolish it, after 80years they realized that it is not American to have a monarchy in Aquaman? The misfortune of Aquaman was that Geoff Johns was removed because he was outselling other DC characters, it didn't go well at DC that Aquaman was achieving that, neither that Johns proved him(Didio) wrong. Johns said he had plans for a 100 issue run.

Instead of being glad that a character that was a problem and that the problem was fixed, they did their utmost to unfix it. Parker's run was solid not at Johns level in terms of sales, but good numbers. Instead they removed him too. Recently Parker gave an interview about his Aquaman run, reading it made me realize the man really understood the characters... it was criminal that he was removed.

As for any potential new writer taking this property seriously? I doubt that DC has that person at the moment, maybe Williamson. A writer that takes over Aquaman, must first love these characters, must know what works and what doesn't, avoid trappings of rehashed stories or bits, have the courage to take new paths plenty of unexplored stories that have never been tapped, avoiding putting into the storylines personal or political views, enough Atlantean politics, concentrate on the fun and adventure, not unnecessary drama, come up with new villains I am bored to death with manta and orm. In few words I can't see a writer at DC that has those requirements even in view that big names in DC are gone. I doubt DC even wants to solve the problem, for what I am seeing they are content to have Arthur at level he was pre New52. All that has been achieved in the last decade, which was good for Aquaman has been thrown away.
    #26-40. Yes, Jeff Parker did a great job!!
    I was disappointed when he left, then after reading Cullen Bunn's first issue I was gutted!!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That's true.

If they never do another "Aquaman loses the throne and must regain it" story it will be too soon. That troupe is not just tired it is beyond lazy at this point. They need a writer who wants to really dig deep into Aquaman and DC lore and establish a whole new status quo for the Undersea people. Have them establish an undersea UN made up of all the various tribes and cultures. Lets see them use and modernize races like the Lemurians, the Kogats, the Seal Men, the Fishman of Nyarl-Amen, the froglike Troglodytes, the Tritonians, the Idylists, Nobel's people the Lurkers, the Sea Lights, the Venturians, the Hy-Brasillians, the Tiapallians, the Maarzon barbarians, the sorcerers of Thierna Na Oge, the Merzonians, and any others. Really explore the DC oceans with Aquaman going from city to city to convince them all to join together.

There are so many weird and crazy races down there it is time to really explore and see new things besides the same old stuff and villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If they never do another "Aquaman loses the throne and must regain it" story it will be too soon. That troupe is not just tired it is beyond lazy at this point. They need a writer who wants to really dig deep into Aquaman and DC lore and establish a whole new status quo for the Undersea people. Have them establish an undersea UN made up of all the various tribes and cultures. Lets see them use and modernize races like the Lemurians, the Kogats, the Seal Men, the Fishman of Nyarl-Amen, the froglike Troglodytes, the Tritonians, the Idylists, Nobel's people the Lurkers, the Sea Lights, the Venturians, the Hy-Brasillians, the Tiapallians, the Maarzon barbarians, the sorcerers of Thierna Na Oge, the Merzonians, and any others. Really explore the DC oceans with Aquaman going from city to city to convince them all to join together.

There are so many weird and crazy races down there it is time to really explore and see new things besides the same old stuff and villains.
    I totally agree, but the whole idea of abolishing the monarchy is stupid, when you have a movie that showed him to the world on a quest to become king, in the comics instead of connecting to that, they do the total opposite. The monarchy gives depth to the Aqua lore, the idea that it is not an American thing is one of the few things I did not like by KSD.
    There are also plenty of different story directions they can take, not just what you mention, but also exploring some of the main characters background, after nearly 60 years of her first appearance we have no idea who Mera's mother is, neither a name we got? Or Tula's background besides being half sister of Orm. A new villain could emerge from one of the 7 kingdoms, that does not only fight Arthur but also at odds with Orm etc Or get into the mythology of Atlantis itself, enemies that emerge from the past that is not just ATlan.

However ours is wishful thinking from solicits about the new ongoing it does not seem that they even intend to consider a new direction, Arthur supporting cast not even the main lead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How does nobody see the potential in revamping the Fisherman?
    I can. Fisherman would be great as an eco-villain, an IUU fisherman. Overfishing, drift-nets, shark finning, the possibilities are endless.

Incredible Member

bro, with these latest sales(epic disasters) in 3 Aquaman books out there, with the same writer, we are heading for a disaster in the new ongoing, unfortunately, not even with Ollie on one of the books, it languishes at the very bottom of the latest data.

Now those 3 books are meant to connect to the new ongoing, with such low number of readers, it will not sell. Unless they make changes, hopefully the editor who supervised those books is moving on, she was the one who approved those books, so something might happen. But my guess is the book will stay until the movie and canceled afterwards. Hoping no big damage is done to the characters.

As for the villain we need a writer that is able to create a new one, honestly manta and orm the only ones are becoming boring.
    Beg your pardon but Manta and Orm are NOT the only ones. There are plenty of great villains already.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

I absolutely LOVE that idea!!
    Present a TRUE Earth-level threat the Justice can't handle, and have Arthur recruit the other undersea nations to a call-at-arms.
    The oceans cover almost 3/4 of the planet surface!! That's a BIG arse army. Add in technology and weaponry at Atlantis-level PLUS serious level magic wielding and you have yourself a kick arse fighting force!

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I can. Fisherman would be great as an eco-villain, an IUU fisherman. Overfishing, drift-nets, shark finning, the possibilities are endless.
    YES!!!
    Why someone hasn't taken this character and done it amazes me as it seems such a no-brainer.
    He does the wrong thing, but for the right cause. THERE'S a classic villain right there!