Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default OT: Retcons you wish hadn't been retconned

Let's be honest. Continuity for comics is lol. Any major story arc or character development is likely to be retconned or simply ignored within 5, 2 or even a single year, regardless of whether or not it's DC or Marvel. Blue Energy Superman, Azareal Batman, Parallax Hal Jordan, Superior Spider-Man, James Rhodes Iron Man, Frank Castle Frankenstein etc.

My question to you comic book readers, no judgments, is simple.

Which of all these drastic character arcs do you wish had not been retconned or changed? Which major change to character continuity do you wish the publisher had run with?

If I understand the question correctly - changes we wish were kept? - She-Hulk being stable and in control of her powers, regarding them as a source of potential mischief and maybe situational hindrance at worst, rather than source of shame and something to draw upon in moments of self-loathing.
    Last edited by grampagen; 09-13-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    If I understand the question correctly - changes we wish were kept? - She-Hulk being stable and in control of her powers, regarding them as a source of potential mischief and maybe situational hindrance at worst, rather than source of shame and something to draw upon in moments of self-loathing.
    I'm clearly not following comics anymore. I remember when Jennifer Walters wanted to stay in her She-Hulk form all the time and hated her smaller form.

I kind of wish the DC Silver Age had never been retconned but grown and changed as it was already doing before being partially retconned.

I can't say I wish they had just continued with the Golden Age and progressed because that's not reinstituting a retcon. But I wish they had done it the Marvel way and at least continued the pretense that these were the same characters in some form though they really haven't been for a long time. When you've got Tony Stark talking about the 1960s like he hadn't even been born yet, definitely not the same character.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm clearly not following comics anymore. I remember when Jennifer Walters wanted to stay in her She-Hulk form all the time and hated her smaller form.

I kind of wish the DC Silver Age had never been retconned but grown and changed as it was already doing before being partially retconned.

I can't say I wish they had just continued with the Golden Age and progressed because that's not reinstituting a retcon. But I wish they had done it the Marvel way and at least continued the pretense that these were the same characters in some form though they really haven't been for a long time. When you've got Tony Stark talking about the 1960s like he hadn't even been born yet, definitely not the same character.
    For awhile, she was dumb. Like Savage Hulk dumb. Smart Jennifer who was always in control of her Hulk side was great. Now she's just... I dunno man, a source of sadness. Cassandra Cain should've stayed as she was Post-Crisis as well.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    If I understand the question correctly - changes we wish were kept?
    Going with your explanation, I would LOVE to have kept Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance from the '90s...

I liked it better when Dan Ketch was the one & only Ghost Rider, while Johnny Blaze kept a watchful eye over young Dan with his Hellfire Shotgun.

Incredible Member

Among so many different changes, one of my personal favorites was Guy Gardner's whole "Warrior" phase.

Guy_Gardner_Warrior_Year_One.jpg

I know Gardner is more iconically recognized as a Green Lantern but honestly there have been SO many characters to bear the title and ring of Green Lantern that I really don't feel like anything would have been truly lost to give Gardner a different power set while still involving him in that particular story line.

Likewise, I feel they should have kept Hal Jordan as Parallax, a fallen hero instead of a yellow fear entity. I just think it gives more weight and depth to the heroes of the Justice League if all of them don't necessarily live to old age or remain as champions of virtue and heroism for all time. As the saying goes, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

Astonishing Member

Pre-new52 Cassandra Cain pass for a Metahuman without powers
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

Quote Originally Posted by T-1000 View Post
    Among so many different changes, one of my personal favorites was Guy Gardner's whole "Warrior" phase.

Guy_Gardner_Warrior_Year_One.jpg

I know Gardner is more iconically recognized as a Green Lantern but honestly there have been SO many characters to bear the title and ring of Green Lantern that I really don't feel like anything would have been truly lost to give Gardner a different power set while still involving him in that particular story line.

Likewise, I feel they should have kept Hal Jordan as Parallax, a fallen hero instead of a yellow fear entity. I just think it gives more weight and depth to the heroes of the Justice League if all of them don't necessarily live to old age or remain as champions of virtue and heroism for all time. As the saying goes, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.
    That cover is some belt pouches and shoulder pads short of being a perfect encapsulation of 90s comics. From the no pupils to the no feet to the big guns and weapons to the ultra violence to the.. everything.

*chef's air kiss*

Do we call him the Ultimate Gardner?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Cassandra Cain should've stayed as she was Post-Crisis as well.
    Have to agree with that.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Pineapple Thing. Nuff said.

Steve Rogers as The Captain, John Walker as Captain America.

Simon Williams as Hollywood (not really a retconned character change, but still).

Dr Pym, Scientific Adventurer (complete with R.O.V.E.R.).

EDIT: Whoops, misread.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 09-14-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Star Wars Sequels are retconning their own retcons at this point. I kinda wish they just made the movies and stuck with those.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    The Star Wars Sequels are retconning their own retcons at this point. I kinda wish they just made the movies and stuck with those.
    Hell, if rumors are true, they're allegedly retconning the Star Wars Sequels to focus on Luke again.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Fantastic Member MorphyVSFischer's Avatar

Jason Todd shouldn't have been brought back and Barbara was best in the wheelchair