Page 63 of 74 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ya know, it was a cool scene, but my immediate thought right after was 'Why has no one attached missiles to light drives before' or done this exact same thing before. At this rate, you'd think it would be a common tactic.
    the same reason nobody in "the Walking Dead" ever bothers to use Phalanx or Tortoise formations with shields and pikes.

Hollywood (and TV) is generally ignorant of even basic military history, strategy, and tactics.

To me, this was just a missed opportunity. We have special effects now where we can show pretty much anything. We have an actor in Hamill who's always embraced his part in Star Wars & was interested in returning to the series. I didn't expect this trilogy to focus solely on Luke but I would've liked to have seen him as the confident Jedi Master I assumed he'd become. An amazing opportunity to reunite some of the cast of a 40 year old franchise just kind of wasted. I just expected different I guess. They'll have the freedom to do whatever they want with the next trilogy. Pass the torch but no need to diminish one character to build up others. Just a weird choice to me. Again, I'm more invested in the films because of the original series rather than being a sci fi fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Yes, but two masses the size of starships impacting isn't enough to make gravity waves strong enough to destroy other ships unless there's some handwavium where the FTL drive causes more powerful gravity waves.
    We currently have nothing related to FTL, or Hyper Drives. We can't open a Worm Hole, nor let alone travel through one. I work with NASA, and can tell you we don't have a clue what would happen if you entered and exited Hyperspace over the course of a short distance.

The one thing Robotech did well was determine that you need to be a sufficient distance away from other objects to enter FTL. The Reflex Engines warped a LARGE area of space, it was one of the reasons Macross island was taken when it jumped to FTL.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    And that was portrayed as a bad thing that plunged the galaxy into oppression.
    Like i said 50 percent does not follow that narrative. Tragedies are also stories.
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 01-02-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    We currently have nothing related to FTL, or Hyper Drives. We can't open a Worm Hole, nor let alone travel through one. I work with NASA, and can tell you we don't have a clue what would happen if you entered and exited Hyperspace over the course of a short distance.

The one thing Robotech did well was determine that you need to be a sufficient distance away from other objects to enter FTL. The Reflex Engines warped a LARGE area of space, it was one of the reasons Macross island was taken when it jumped to FTL.

Ah, Robotech! Such fond memories

Yes, Star Wars vehicles can do all sorts of things beyond our technology, but perhaps not beyond the scope of plausible physics. In order to pull a ship out of hyperspace, the gravity generator on an Interdictor would have to be creating some pretty substantial gravity waves, because there is no way to calculate the exact vector of a ship. Even assuming there are a limited number of courses ships can follow because of naturally occurring gravitational fields [stars, planets etc] space if vast. And of course Star Wars vessels have gravity generators to allow the crew to walk around normally.

So why hasn't anyone light rammed before?

Well basically on reviewing the math is sounds impressive but I'm not sure it would really work as well as we see in the TLJ.

37 quadrillion newtons sounds like a lot of energy, but its actually less than that released by a 50 megaton bomb. Such an explosion [which was tested by the USSR during the cold war and is the largest human made explosion ever] would flatten 100% of the city of Paris and much of the area beyond, but considering how much easier it would be to build such a nuclear weapon than a 40,000 space ship equipped with light speed drive you can see what light speed ramming of large ships becomes rather impractical.

Also, ships are not solid. On impact they are going to rip apart along their natural stress lines, the seams joining the plates together. Ramming an X-wing at near light speed into a Star Destroyer is probably going to just splash the ship and pilot all over the Destroyers shields.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm wondering if the main character's failures might've had something to do with the legacy of Vader as well-The novel Bloodline has Leia's reputation in bad shape after her secret is revealed, but I wonder if something like that would've also affected Luke's academy/ Ben as well (The same novel also states that Ben doesn't know his grandfather's identity at that point). Especially if some other students left as TLJ implied. Being the son of a Sith Lord who basically destroyed the order last time would probably lead to a major loss of confidence in his teaching methods!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Lucas had a lot of the basic ideas already thought out. Some of the bigger twists no, but once he formulated it, the thing stuck. Like Vader being burned after a fight with Obi Wan on a volcano was something that existed forever. Luke was always going to have a sister, not necessarily Leia, but that solved a potential love triangle.

And the prequels were mapped out pretty much from the start.

What shocks me is that Disney is winging it film to film.
    Nope. Episode I was unedited, unfiltered Lucas and Episodes II and III were pretty much roughdrafts that were finished a week before filming started. Lucas was too in-love with his vision that he forgot to actually talk about the important parts of the story. He had to make corrections in Episode II and dump 80% of the characters and conflict for Episode III in order to focus on Vader.

Lucas's greatest trick was convincing us he had the entire universe mapped in his mind in 1975.
    Last edited by Guapo Méndez; 01-02-2018 at 06:34 AM.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

I think that time will be on TLJ's side. It's not making TFA money because we were thirsty for a good Star Wars movie after the disappointing prequels. TLJ dared to go in a different direction from what we expected, showed feet of clay in every major character and dogma...
    I am very eager to see it again and I'm definitely going to be there for Ep. IX.
    Last edited by Guapo Méndez; 01-02-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    I think that time will be on TLJ's side.
    Disagree with that. I think it'll be seen as on a par with the prequels.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    To me, this was just a missed opportunity. We have special effects now where we can show pretty much anything. We have an actor in Hamill who's always embraced his part in Star Wars & was interested in returning to the series. I didn't expect this trilogy to focus solely on Luke but I would've liked to have seen him as the confident Jedi Master I assumed he'd become. An amazing opportunity to reunite some of the cast of a 40 year old franchise just kind of wasted. I just expected different I guess. They'll have the freedom to do whatever they want with the next trilogy. Pass the torch but no need to diminish one character to build up others. Just a weird choice to me. Again, I'm more invested in the films because of the original series rather than being a sci fi fan.
    As a fan, I sure wanted to see a butt-kicking Jedi Master Luke Skywalker myself. That isn't the direction that Johnson went, which on some level is regrettable, but I do like how thematically, it is consistent with the lessons that Luke had been learning since that first day when he met Obi-Wan Kenobi. When I think back to the most valuable lessons Luke learned from his Jedi Masters ("There are alternatives to fighting," "Wars not make one great," "Unlearn what you have learned," etc.), I think the way he ultimately chose to confront Kylo Ren/Ben Solo was conceptually better than slicing Ren's arms and legs off, which given how the "duel" went, I think Luke could have accomplished if that had been how he chose to play it. The Jedi in him, however, chose to play it the way Obi-Wan and/or Yoda would have.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

So why hasn't anyone light rammed before?
    It's probably due to the cost of lives involved. It was one thing for Admiral Holdo to do that as the only living being on her ship, but I think it would have given her some pause if she had an entire crew aboard with her. It's not something one would want to do every day.

Random thought: Adam Driver is REALLY tall. I didn't realize how much he towered over Mark Hamill (and their other costars not pictured here).

Last edited by Buried Alien; 01-01-2018 at 09:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    I think that time will be on TLJ's side. It's not making TFA money because we were thirsty for a good Star Wars movie after the disappointing prequels. TLJ dared to go in a different direction from what we expected, showed feet of clay in every major character and dogma...
    I am very eager to see it agsin and I'm definitely going to be there for Ep. IX.
    I agree with ya.
    Outside of some writing issues. Some legit concerns by some well-spoken folks.

The Anti-SJW SJW's, rightwingers, and such will be ignored over time. Those concerns are for the most part illegitimate. There's enough wrong in those films to critique.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    the same reason nobody in "the Walking Dead" ever bothers to use Phalanx or Tortoise formations with shields and pikes.

Hollywood (and TV) is generally ignorant of even basic military history, strategy, and tactics.
    The obvious difference would be making functioning shields is a lost skill [how many people do you know who even know the proper materials required, let alone have the skill to make them] while there is no shortage of people in the Star Wars universe who can build missiles and hyper-engines.

Also - the shield defense wouldn't work against a horde. The walkers don't suffer morale, and would just keep piling up against the shield wall. Their bodies would get impaled on the spears unless you make a head shot and the weight would drag the weapon down. Sheer mass of bodies pushing against the shields would eventually see the line buckle.
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-01-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Lucas had a lot of the basic ideas already thought out. Some of the bigger twists no, but once he formulated it, the thing stuck. Like Vader being burned after a fight with Obi Wan on a volcano was something that existed forever. Luke was always going to have a sister, not necessarily Leia, but that solved a potential love triangle.

And the prequels were mapped out pretty much from the start.

What shocks me is that Disney is winging it film to film.
    You'd think the prequels were mapped out looking at ROTJ and reading the novelization, but then whatever material Lucas had he largely jettisoned.

Obi-Wan says in ROTJ "I took it upon myself to train [Anakin] in the ways of the Jedi." But Ep1 shows Qui-Gon guilting him into training him with a lame attempt to make the line true in a brief scene with Yoda.

Leia says she remembers her mother, but she actually doesn't.

Obi-Wan says Yoda was his master, but he was Qui-Gon's apprentice.

Nor, in the prequels, did Obi-Wan ever seem to 'serve' Bail Organa during the Clone Wars.

It's all very messed up.