Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    All I can say is that its not only ensured I stick around past Action #1000, it has me somewhat excited and not just tagging along with my hands in my pockets kicking a rock like I have been ever since Rebirth started. Of course I've been excited before only to be let down, but if I am I am. Right now I'm interested, and right now that's enough.
    Heh, and I remember a couple years ago when you swore you would never read another Superman book after Nuperman was killed off.......and here you are excited about Bendis of all people!

Of course, I was complaining right there with you....so either we're becoming more mature and patient and optimistic, or we're just getting dumber.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If this is indeed what happens, I'll definitely be interested in seeing it play out from both sides. And honestly, it might even be the best approach for Bendis too, where he can sort of avoid balancing the importance and relevance of Clark/Superman in one book, and instead go all in on one in individual titles.

I was hesitantly optimistic about Bendis taking over Superman (very, very hesitant) but so far he's saying a lot of the right things.
    From the sounds of it, I think I might enjoy his Action a bit more than Superman. One factor that we haven't seen in both books lately is Clark Kent: Journalist. I think Bendis is on point when he discusses how he views Clark. Out of everything he could do, Clark actually chose to be a Reporter/Journalist. So I am glad he wants to explore the reasons "why" he wanted to be in that profession. Plus we often forget Clark is just as esteemed and acknowledged in the DC Universe for his journalistic prowess. If not moreso than Lois is.

I also like the fact he is going to translate the real world issues surrounding most printed press into the series. A lot of current newspapers aren't the bastion of investigative journalism as they once were. Some are heavily censored, have a constant agenda they wish to push, or just flat out print sensational trash to boost circulation. I think it is great we might possibly see how The Daily Planet handles such pressures and financial hardship caused by falling circulations and competing news mediums such as 24 hour news and/online blogs etc. Perry White is the very much "The Last of The Great Reporters." He is cut from the same cloth as Woodward or Bernstein. No way in hell would he bow to pressure for The Daily Planet to become the comic book equivalent of The Sun or The Daily Mail.

Plus, I am all for any direction that builds up Superman's support cast. The lack of focus on them during The New 52 was one of the downsides to that era of Superman.

Heh, and I remember a couple years ago when you swore you would never read another Superman book after Nuperman was killed off.......and here you are excited about Bendis of all people!

Of course, I was complaining right there with you....so either we're becoming more mature and patient and optimistic, or we're just getting dumber.
    It really could be either or, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    From the sounds of it, I think I might enjoy his Action a bit more than Superman. One factor that we haven't seen in both books lately is Clark Kent: Journalist. I think Bendis is on point when he discusses how he views Clark. Out of everything he could do, Clark actually chose to be a Reporter/Journalist. So I am glad he wants to explore the reasons "why" he wanted to be in that profession. Plus we often forget Clark is just as esteemed and acknowledged in the DC Universe for his journalistic prowess. If not moreso than Lois is.

I also like the fact he is going to translate the real world issues surrounding most printed press into the series. A lot of current newspapers aren't the bastion of investigative journalism as they once were. Some are heavily censored, have a constant agenda they wish to push, or just flat out print sensational trash to boost circulation. I think it is great we might possibly see how The Daily Planet handles such pressures and financial hardship caused by falling circulations and competing news mediums such as 24 hour news and/online blogs etc. Perry White is the very much "The Last of The Great Reporters." He is cut from the same cloth as Woodward or Bernstein. No way in hell would he bow to pressure for The Daily Planet to become the comic book equivalent of The Sun or The Daily Mail.

Plus, I am all for any direction that builds up Superman's support cast. The lack of focus on them during The New 52 was one of the downsides to that era of Superman.
    I agree with all this, though I do think the reason most of us are excited for Action more is because we don't actually know what's going on in the Superman book yet. Like superlad said, it's likely the focus will be on the aftermath of what Bendis plans on revealing with Krypton in action 1000 and the man of steel mini series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I agree with all this, though I do think the reason most of us are excited for Action more is because we don't actually know what's going on in the Superman book yet. Like superlad said, it's likely the focus will be on the aftermath of what Bendis plans on revealing with Krypton in action 1000 and the man of steel mini series.
    As long as Superman has Big Blue saving people and taking down bad guys, I'm good. I am on the fence about whatever this "Big Revelation" is, though. We just have to wait and see. As far as Action is concerned, I am onboard with it. Metropolis as a city hasn't been given the intense development that Gotham has received the past 5 - 10 years. So I am keen on Bendis expanding upon it. Metropolis is considered the greatest city in the DCU. It is time someone showed us why.

What locations does Metropolis currently have that are well-known? Off the top of my head there's - Hob's Bay, Suicide Slum, Lexcorp, The Daily Planet, Centennial Park, Stryker's Island Penitentiary (which should be up there with Arkham or Iron Heights), Cadmus, S.T.A.R. Labs and...that's it. As a reader I want to pick up a Superman comic and feel as though I am in an actual city. I feel like that with Gotham and Central City. Not so much Metropolis. Certainly not in comics I've picked up since the early 2000's. So I love Bendis saying he wants to develop it more and give it its own Identity.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There's Bakerline, Jimmy's neck of the woods. Pretty sure that's where Pete Shoemaker was memorialized also. New Troy, the Hypersector, Queensland, Midvale, Kirby County...

I found a few maps online, which are neat although they don't include things like where Swan, Boring, and Schwartz are located. Clark moved from Clinton to Sullivan with Lois. We've seen a number of his neighbors prior. Clark attended Met U, etc.

It's big enough that it's not really off the top of anyone's head, which is a good indicator of size. I have no idea if Gotham really is bigger since I only have wiki comparisons, but for a fictional city Metropolis is set and has room for growth. Certainly ample space available for a writer cutting his teeth on DC.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You know, about six months ago if you had suggested Bendis tackling the New Gods, or any Kirby creation, I think I would have had a heart attack and died at my computer. But King's Mister Miracle is so gods damn good, and its shown a way to explore these characters from a different perspective.....but I still dont think Bendis could pull it off.

But what he could do, and maybe do really well, is explore the New Gods (and other Kirby weirdness) from an outside perspective. What does Jimmy think of the New Gods? What does Clark? Lois? I doubt Bendis has a New Gods story in him....but I bet he could write other characters bumping into the New Gods and make it work.

And yeah, Alias was amazing. I miss *that* Bendis. The guy I've read the last few years.....I think he might be a Skrull, actually. But if the real Bendis has escaped from his captivity and made his way back home and is going back to work? He's more than welcome at my DC Comics.

......perhaps Bendis didn't have a health scare as much as he had an epic battle against an alien shape-shifter and needed time to recover after his victory?

Man, I just read that sentence....I am extremely over-tired.......
    Well we at least know Bendis is reading King's Mister Miracle and is very into it. (https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...ter-miracle-6/) Can't say he'll pull it off to as great effect, but given how he did Alias, I'd say it's within his skill set to get that same feel that Mister Miracle has. That feel of making the high concept stuff more tactile and tangible.

I agree. Based on how he had Rick Jones do this sobering tell-all book about his time as a superhero "hanger-on" was absolutely fantastic. I can only imagine what he could do with the wealth of potential that is Jimmy's strange ass life.

Lol Maybe the real Bendis also wanted to go to DC?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You can be a loving couple, but relationships do have pressures and issues from time to time. No relationship is pure bliss 100% of the time. In fact, by inserting such aspects into Lois and Clark's relationship, and showing how they overcome those aspects, reaffirms how deep and strong they are as Husband and Wife. Perhaps moreso than having them loved up all the time. A real marriage takes work. It is why divorce rates are so high. Everybody expects it is all "happily ever after." So as soon as the honeymoon stage passes, and real world problems begin creeping in, those marriages crumble like a house of cards.

So, so long as they don't get divorced (which I don't see happening given the trouble DC went through in bringing it back), then it is okay for a bit of drama to be injected into the proceedings to spice things up.
    Yeah, I'm a bit more composed now than I was the day I posted that, and I am hopeful things won't be too bad...we know they are together in Doomsday Clock (which is a year later in the continuity) and Lois was there to comfort Clark after his nightmare and they were even sharing the same bed, so even if there's still problems by that point, it's clearly not enough to stop them being close like that.

Geoff's indicated that characters in that series would be "off", so I think they'll probably still be working out problems between them as Doomsday Clock progresses, the worst thing Bendis can do is write them as going through the worst of it, before inevitably building them back up ever so slightly when the time comes to catch up (and he's quite good at rebuilding)

Anyhoo, I might be cautious and gauge reactions from AC and Superman first without buying, just in case it's not what I expect or like, and collect them if I feel reassured. Bendis is very good at relationship drama so I think he'll fill a niche for someone who was bored with Rebirth (like Sacred was), I've just been so used to the "honeymoon" depiction that I have anything that diverts from it tough to take. I'm like that with a lot of couples in fiction. I'm just not interested in tension between mature well-established people who ought to logically know better. If they were only a few months or a year into a relationship, then yes I could understand it and even follow it, but I don't even think you can call it a "honeymoon" period because they've been married for a decade according to the current continuity.

I'm just wired that way as I come from a very stable and loving family. I must come off as a bore to you.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-11-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    All I can say is that its not only ensured I stick around past Action #1000, it has me somewhat excited and not just tagging along with my hands in my pockets kicking a rock like I have been ever since Rebirth started. Of course I've been excited before only to be let down, but if I am I am. Right now I'm interested, and right now that's enough.
    Surprised that you of all people are now excited about Superman again. I guess I know how you felt after the Rebirth announcements since most of the news about what Bendis wants to do has put me off buying any Superman comics written by him until his Superman run is over.

Astonishing Member

Quite frankly, there isn't a single line pronounced by Bendis regarding his upcoming run which isn't pointing to the right direction.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Quite frankly, there isn't a single line pronounced by Bendis regarding his upcoming run which isn't pointing to the right direction.
    Agreed, I'm excited to see what he does with the character.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Too bad House of M, Secret Invasion, Siege, Civil War II, his X-Men run, his Avengers run, his Guardians of the Galaxy run, his Iron Man run and what he did to Sentry, Scarlet Witch along with replacing Tony Stark with Riri Williams all strongly indicate that Bendis is the worst possible writer to write the original superhero. Bendis has ruined almost everything at Marvel and him moving over to DC is horrible news for many fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Too bad House of M, Secret Invasion, Siege, Civil War II, his X-Men run, his Avengers run, his Guardians of the Galaxy run, his Iron Man run and what he did to Sentry, Scarlet Witch along with replacing Tony Stark with Riri Williams all strongly indicate that Bendis is the worst possible writer to write the original superhero. Bendis has ruined almost everything at Marvel and him moving over to DC is horrible news for many fans.
    He probably picks his nose, too.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

None of that erases the work he's done that is well regarded, like Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Daredevil.
    Also, the Superman line needs a shakeup to gets things moving again. It's performing well, but it's not the talk of the comic book world and hasn't been for a LONG time. The risk is worth it if this is the shot in the arm it needs.

Surprised that you of all people are now excited about Superman again. I guess I know how you felt after the Rebirth announcements since most of the news about what Bendis wants to do has put me off buying any Superman comics written by him until his Superman run is over.
    Its cautious, though. Who knows though, maybe any creative change would have generated this in me since I was so bored by what's currently going on.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El