Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Yeah I'm perplexed on Jonathan and Martha's voices as well. The art and everything else is fine though so I'm still in. But yeah, weird, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So he's...telepathic?

Yeaaaaaah....they might have wanted to get him a co-writer on this. Dammit, I knew there had to be some kind of catch. Miller dialogue is it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

There a very quick shift between narrators which I like at one point it's either Jor-El or Lara, then shifts to young Kal, then to Pa Kent. The stuff with baby Clark is great especially the first meeting with Pa and the field skipping part.

But I agree that Martha and John sound like actors reciting lines in a screenplay rather than regular people.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So he's...telepathic?

Yeaaaaaah....they might have wanted to get him a co-writer on this. Dammit, I knew there had to be some kind of catch. Miller dialogue is it.
    I think he was x-raying his head in that scene

I didn't read the preview nor the review, but by the images, I guess Superman is getting his powers from square one, not fully developed but in a way that resembles AC#1 and the first Superman movie with Chrisopher Reeves, where he can raise heavy objects
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I liked ASBAR aside from loud jerk Batman. I guess this is the same "decaf Neal Adams" style dialogue, except it's sincerely gentle. Okay by me.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I guess I'll wait until the issue actually comes out, but. Ah, well.. lol.. it's comics.. fun times.. I guess?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Small interview with Miller and Romita Jr., two details of note as I see it:

1. Miller outright says this is set in the world of his Dark Knight books rather than the 'main' DCU; Romita seems to suggest this could become canon if readers clamored for it, but that strikes me as pretty unlikely.

2. Part of Clark joining the Navy is this alien formulation of "this planet is mostly water, I should be on that", and I honestly don't know if I love or hate how bizarre that is.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

1. Miller outright says this is set in the world of his Dark Knight books rather than the 'main' DCU; Romita seems to suggest this could become canon if readers clamored for it, but that strikes me as pretty unlikely.

2. Part of Clark joining the Navy is this alien formulation of "this planet is mostly water, I should be on that", and I honestly don't know if I love or hate how bizarre that is.

Honestly I'm down for stuff like this and in general I'm enjoying the idea of Clark being a weird and strange guy. The regular guy shtick for Superman was always suppose to be just that a shtick, Supes was suppose to be a guy who's abnormalities and differences were an asset to the world even if they made him stand out. That's all been reverse in the modern world with him being a "regular guy with powers" which really just says "hey I' have no interesting qualities as a character". Akira Toriyama and the Japanese comic book market in general has pretty much disproved all of this on the back of a much more successful and robust comic book market than our own.

Superman is never going to out normal Batman, Spiderman, Jason Bourne whatever. No point in even trying, let the guy be strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

For what it’s worth, prior to Flashpoint, Batman Year One was considered canon to both the main canon and the dark knight returnsverse.

LMAO that Kent dialogue is hilarious. Has Miller ever met anyone from Kansas before? They talk like they’re the ones from another planet. Yeah this is going to be controversial.
    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Honestly I'm down for stuff like this and in general I'm enjoying the idea of Clark being a weird and strange guy. The regular guy shtick for Superman was always suppose to be just that a shtick, Supes was suppose to be a guy who's abnormalities and differences were an asset to the world even if they made him stand out. That's all been reverse in the modern world with him being a "regular guy with powers" which really just says "hey I' have no interesting qualities as a character". Akira Toriyama and the Japanese comic book market in general has pretty much disproved all of this on the back of a much more successful and robust comic book market than our own.

Superman is never going to out normal Batman, Spiderman, Jason Bourne whatever. No point in even trying, let the guy be strange.
    I agree. I like Clark being a weirdo, and I like when they play up his alien side as well. But he should think of himself as human imo, even if he’s not.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    For what it’s worth, prior to Flashpoint, Batman Year One was considered canon to both the main canon and the dark knight returnsverse.
    Yeah but Batman: Year One was recognized as a classic from the first issue. If this were to somehow sell gangbusters and become widely loved, maybe DC would make it canon. But it looks like it’s going to be controversial, so I don’t see DC bringing this into canon.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Year One was originally serialized in the main Batman book, though. It was written specifically to be the main origin. This is a stand alone mini. He was also a much better writer back then. At this point I think DC is just indulging his whims. The best I can hope for from this in terms of the main Super-books is that it might inspire DC to give the Rebirth Superman powers as a toddler but that dialogue! I'm seriously considering not getting it over that. WOW! If they are going to keep giving him work, it looks like the DK3 model is the way to go. Have a "handler" on him to keep his worst impulses in check.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think he was x-raying his head in that scene
    Well, now we know how the Kents died. Brain tumors.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, now we know how the Kents died. Brain tumors.
    You know, I wouldn't put it past Miller to actually do that.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The work of Toriyama, DB if we're honest because the popularity of his other comic works combined isn't in the same stratosphere, is pretty apples to oranges. One of the few reasons DB can even come up is because of the popularity boost it received when it riffed on Superman.

Superman survives without Siegel or Shuster in a way we haven't seen possible with DB and its creator. They stick his name on products just so they aren't doomed. It's so different that I don't really see how this reflects on what Miller is doing. The duality at least sounds straightforward.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES