Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Inspired by some neat ideas from others;

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What if Blade was raised by Dr Strange.
    What if Dr. Strange coordinated the arcane defenses of mages the world over, and people like Helstrom, Jennifer Kale, Voodoo, the Scarlet Witch, Agatha Harkness, Jimaine Szardos, Ilyanna, Shaman, etc. all reported to him, at some level, while lower tier 'monster-hunter' agents like Blade, Ghost Rider, Morbius, Man-Thing and Elsa Bloodstone covered the ground beat? The whole magical community, working together, with some outliers and ne'er-do-wells (like Mordo and Modred and Salem's Seven and Chondu the Mystic and the Enchantress and Margali Szardos and Dr. Doom) gumming up the works.

A Sorcerer Supreme who *actually does something* and doesn't just sit around in his Sanctum waiting for bad stuff to happen, and then trying to play catch-up and deal with it all by himself, after the fact. That would be kinda neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    What if the rocket that carried Reed Richards into space crash landed with all of its passengers being killed?
    What if one or more of the FF had been those 'pure' strain humans, mentioned in Days of Future Past, who did not have the latent X-gene or potential for mutation, and who, upon being exposed to massive doses of cosmic radiation, just got radiation sickness and died over three agonizing days? Depending on which of them were 'pure' and which were 'latent' carriers of the Celestial genetic tweak, it would change things significantly. Johnny and Sue might have been 'pure,' and only Ben and Reed survive (with powers). Or vice versa, with only Johnny and Sue surviving, or Johnny, Sue and Ben. (I'd expect Johnny and Sue to either live or die as a pair, since they are the most likely to share some genes, although it's not guaranteed, since they aren't identical twins or anything.) Johnny and Sue as sole survivors (the Terrific Two?) seem likely to be a far more somber and serious duo, in the wake of such a tragedy, and even a 'Terrific Three' of Ben, Sue and Johnny would be very different without Reed to be there with his gadgets and unstable molecules and endless money-generating patents-for-stuff-you'll-never-hear-of.

What if examination of the blueprints of the rocket, and even some pre-flight photos of the old cockpit, showed a fifth seat, and further investigation indicated that the cabin was stocked with gear and supplies balanced for a *five* person crew, but nobody remembers a fifth person, and no fifth person is mentioned in any text, or shown in any photographs of the event...

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    What If Rogue never absorbed Ms. Marvel's powers.
    That would be a neat one, because Rogue would be a very different character if she had to use her own actual mutant power every day, rather than some borrowed alien wannabe-Superman powerset. She'd likely gain far more control, far faster, since she'd be exercising the ability in the usual rigorous X-Men daily training sessions, both the ability to control when she absorbs powers, and dealing with the absorbed memories, and adapting to the new and varied powersets (some of which, like telepathy or weather control, take a little getting used to!). She'd have to learn to be a *lot* more nimble, to weave her way into combat and get a hand on someone, not being able to trust to her borrowed Kree invulnerability or flight to get her safely into hand to hand range, and not having super-strength to make her blows superhumanly potent (fortunately, her touch is enough to knock out anyone short of Loki!).

I really like the idea of various characters having to learn to make more effective use of their own powers. Rogue's not the only one, coasting on borrowed power, and not being as strongly motivated to really develop her own actual mutant power. I see Blink doing amazing stuff with teleportation portals and wonder why Ilyanna never does stuff like this, and then remember that she's always whipping out her soul-sword and charging into the fray, using her actual mutant power as just a way to get to the fray, and then promptly ignoring *her actual super-power* once it all goes down.

So, in addition to Rogue not gaining the powers of Ms. Marvel, What if Ilyanna never became a demon sorceress of Limbo, and was just a (badass!) mutant teleporter?
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-18-2020 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    What if Ilyanna never became a demon sorceress of Limbo, and was just a (badass!) mutant teleporter?
    What age group would she be in: New Mutants, New X-Men, Young X-Men, Jean Grey School?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think this would be a great What If. I could see Parker becoming a bit more of a PI, since that is a lot of what PIs do is take pictures.
    Thanks, and Peter as a private investigator could be interesting . . . I could see him in competition or partnership with Jessica Jones, which I think would yield some compelling interactions between them in light of her crush on him when they were in high school.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks, and Peter as a private investigator could be interesting . . . I could see him in competition or partnership with Jessica Jones, which I think would yield some compelling interactions between them in light of her crush on him when they were in high school.
    OMG yes, I would so buy this comic now.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    OMG yes, I would so buy this comic now.
    Same here. At the very least, we need a Spider-Man/Jessica Jones story arc at some point. (Still amused Chip Zdarsky had them dating in issue 4 of Life Story, though.)

What if... Kamala Khan never got rid of the Stormranger suit? How much more powerful and dangerous would she get?
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

That sounds pretty awesome.

In the spirit of this thread . . . "What if Daredevil trained Spider-Man after realizing Spider-Man's spider-sense was similar to his own radar sense?"
    There is one where he is trained by wolverine and they become a duo of super spies. Wolverine teaches him to use his senses to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    What if... Kamala Khan never got rid of the Stormranger suit? How much more powerful and dangerous would she get?
    That would be a very interesting idea. Kind of reminds me of Spider-Man's black suit arc if he'd chosen to keep the symbiote or take it back like in Venomverse, and given the team-ups he and Kamala have had in the past . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    There is one where he is trained by wolverine and they become a duo of super spies. Wolverine teaches him to use his senses to the fullest.
    I remember that one. His spider-sense expands into full-blown precognition, as well as "sometimes . . . he just knows things."

What if the X-Men hadn't allowed Rogue to join the team?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    What age group would she be in: New Mutants, New X-Men, Young X-Men, Jean Grey School?
    Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. She'd be a lot younger, in theory. Either A) she could just have always been older than the little girl Ilyanna we first met, and be introduced fairly early in the original New Mutants era as a young teen, or B) she could have been a little girl during those years, and age up to young teen as part of the New X-Men years, adding a contrast to other 'younger relatives of previous generations' clique with the likes of Jay Guthrie and (kinda/sorta) X-23.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    What if the X-Men hadn't allowed Rogue to join the team?
    That could be interesting.

Possibilities;
    1) The other X-Men walk away, as Xavier accepts her, and they aren't willing to remain there, the title splitting into a book with Xavier's school for outcast mutants (whose powers kind of doomed them to a life of badness, even if they aren't *necessarily* irredeemably bad people, like Rogue and perhaps the Blob?), and the now homeless X-Men, seeking a new place in the world. While Scott leaves with the others, he covertly stays in contact with Xavier, and is caught out and ends up kicked out of *that* group as well, with Storm now in charge!
    2) Rogue instead turns to Magneto, and becomes his 'heavy' and perhaps his partner?
    3) Rogue instead turns to the Hellfire Club, and eventually becomes the new Black Queen (after decking Emma for trying to manipulate her, and not immediately twigging to Shaw's more subtle attempts at the same...).
    4) Rogue instead turns to the Avengers, and becomes a provisional member. (Carol would flip out even more spectacularly!)
    5) Rogue instead turns to the Fantastic Four, and Reed designs a machine that allows her to temporarily suppress her power, and then finally a cure, and she becomes an ex-mutant spokeswoman for 'the cure which saved my life' and a figure much-reviled as a sellout or race-traitor by those whose mutations aren't putting people into comas and wrecking lives and turning them into a super-villain and stuff.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-19-2020 at 03:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

I don’t know this has been done before but what if Peter Parker didn’t die in the ultimate universe? Would Miles Morales become Spider-Man still? That would be interesting.

What if the Avengers had not Disassembled?

Despite Scarlet Witch's antics the Avengers don't call it quits. They stay together as a team. There's no "new Avengers". How would this have affected later events like Civil War or Secret Invasion?

What if ... Hulk was NOT shot into space? What happens when the The Illuminati's plan to send Hulk away doesn't work and Hulk breaks free?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. She'd be a lot younger, in theory. Either A) she could just have always been older than the little girl Ilyanna we first met, and be introduced fairly early in the original New Mutants era as a young teen, or B) she could have been a little girl during those years, and age up to young teen as part of the New X-Men years, adding a contrast to other 'younger relatives of previous generations' clique with the likes of Jay Guthrie and (kinda/sorta) X-23.

That could be interesting.

Possibilities;
    1) The other X-Men walk away, as Xavier accepts her, and they aren't willing to remain there, the title splitting into a book with Xavier's school for outcast mutants (whose powers kind of doomed them to a life of badness, even if they aren't *necessarily* irredeemably bad people, like Rogue and perhaps the Blob?), and the now homeless X-Men, seeking a new place in the world. While Scott leaves with the others, he covertly stays in contact with Xavier, and is caught out and ends up kicked out of *that* group as well, with Storm now in charge!
    2) Rogue instead turns to Magneto, and becomes his 'heavy' and perhaps his partner?
    3) Rogue instead turns to the Hellfire Club, and eventually becomes the new Black Queen (after decking Emma for trying to manipulate her, and not immediately twigging to Shaw's more subtle attempts at the same...).
    4) Rogue instead turns to the Avengers, and becomes a provisional member. (Carol would flip out even more spectacularly!)
    5) Rogue instead turns to the Fantastic Four, and Reed designs a machine that allows her to temporarily suppress her power, and then finally a cure, and she becomes an ex-mutant spokeswoman for 'the cure which saved my life' and a figure much-reviled as a sellout or race-traitor by those whose mutations aren't putting people into comas and wrecking lives and turning them into a super-villain and stuff.
    I like option 1) a lot.

2) would work really well since Magneto would be the natural second choice to go to after Xavier especially since he was always constructing weird technology during that time. It would also build up on the original idea that Magneto wanted to restore Jean as Phoenix so she could work alongside him.

3) seems unlikely because Claremont established that Sebastian Shaw had brutally beat up Rogue during his last encounter with her (which was never seen on-panel) so Rogue had good reason to avoid the Hellfire Club. But because Shadow King was behind the Hellfire Club and the X-Treme X-Men Annual revealed that Shadow King had been manipulating Rogue for years, including her going to Xavier for help, it's possible he would have made her come anyway.

4) I'd be really interested in seeing what the Avengers would do if Rogue came to them for help. Normally I'd say they'd let her stay but after Avengers 200 and Avengers Annual 10 when the Avengers realized how badly they failed Carol, I don't think they would feel comfortable letting her down again by taking in her abuser.

5) the FF make sense especially considering Reed's history of depowering Franklin. Reminds me a bit of X-Men: The Last Stand with her taking the cure and being given flack for it by other mutants.

That would be a very interesting idea. Kind of reminds me of Spider-Man's black suit arc if he'd chosen to keep the symbiote or take it back like in Venomverse
    And given how she's connected to other Kamalas in the multiverse, it's highly likely that there's a timeline where she still has the suit. Whether it's a good or bad timeline is up for debate.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    And given how she's connected to other Kamalas in the multiverse, it's highly likely that there's a timeline where she still has the suit. Whether it's a good or bad timeline is up for debate.
    True enough.