Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    and how many of those "less than 20 books" are left after the recent title purge by new EIC cb cebuski?
    Literally nothing either solicited or cancelled that any of us have heard about has anything to do with C.B. Comics work on a longer timescale than this. Everything happening now and for a few months yet is Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Literally nothing either solicited or cancelled that any of us have heard about has anything to do with C.B. Comics work on a longer timescale than this. Everything happening now and for a few months yet is Alonso.
    source for this? and beside the point, the question still stands

and how many of those "less than 20 books" are left after the recent title purge by new EIC cb cebuski?
    Not sure of the exact number, however, it's not like we have the full picture as to why Marvel is continuing or canceling anything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not sure of the exact number, however, it's not like we have the full picture as to why Marvel is continuing or canceling anything.
    and as noted by the hollywood reporter, new eic has yet to give any public statements in his new capacity or comment on any of the cancellations. marvel is silent as a mouse on the topic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    If he was given the classic og Avengers (Cap, Thor, Tony, hulk) and they added Tchalla and some other to the line up, I'm sure he would be fine.

Hell I would love to see him do a Illuminati line up TRO style. That would also be up his alley

Given what he’s said in the past I know Tony is a definite must have for him and he’ll probably keep a couple traditional Avengers and fill out the rest of the roster with characters he might want to push, he likes teen characters so the field is wide open on that

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    If he was given the classic og Avengers (Cap, Thor, Tony, hulk) and they added Tchalla and some other to the line up, I'm sure he would be fine.

Hell I would love to see him do a Illuminati line up TRO style. That would also be up his alley
    I thought he did a solid job with the Busiek Avengers in the small appearances they made in his Black Panther and Deadpool runs, so I think he'd do fine with a more "classic" team.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought he did a solid job with the Busiek Avengers in the small appearances they made in his Black Panther and Deadpool runs, so I think he'd do fine with a more "classic" team.
    Exactly, give him the MCU line up (anything to get his version of T'Challa Again) and I'm good.

and as noted by the hollywood reporter, new eic has yet to give any public statements in his new capacity or comment on any of the cancellations. marvel is silent as a mouse on the topic.
    On top of that, some of the characters from canceled stuff, like America Chavez, are being used in other projects, like the Marvel Rising thing. That strongly suggests that, even if some of their comics are being canceled, that Marvel still has plans for them.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

On top of that, some of the characters from canceled stuff, like America Chavez, are being used in other projects, like the Marvel Rising thing. That strongly suggests that, even if some of their comics are being canceled, that Marvel still has plans for them.
    Exactly.

Most of the critics of diversity will be wondering why books like Ms Marvel, All New Wolverine, Spider-man and Mighty Thor are still around. Even Moon Girl is still continuing (I believe it’s gone above 25 issues which is a massive achievement for that character).

It’s because they are successful. As you rightly mentioned, America Chavez is getting greater exposure now with Marvel Rising and Miles Morales is getting a sweet looking animated movie, Marvel clearly has plans for these characters.

It's a shame, because they could use the effort they are wasting with a terrible character like America Chavez on other Latino characters like Sunspot or even other characters the Latino readerbase enjoy.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

BANNED

You're grasping at straws here; Marvel never had any plans for these characters, that's why they failed. The idiocy of identity politics is such that Marvel thought that readers could be conned into buying such garbage books just because the main character met certain demographic check boxes. This Marvel Rising cartoon will meet the same fate, because it's filled with those same identity politics characters, all surface level and no substance behind it. Perhaps then you might finally concede that identity politics has no place in Marvel comics.

What source can you possibly need. There has been no CB purge, you made the claim not me. For example Alonso was heavily involved in the yet to be published Avengers event and oversaw all of it. So his influence will still be felt for at least two months across the whole line. We will not see any influence of the changeover until at least March probably May.

Every political change in Marvel is accompanied by ignorance and misinformation that sticks and becomes received wisdom. The slowly forming misinformation in this one is that CB oversaw a back to basics line, and poor historians will conveniently forget that the current move to more conservative books was initiated and masterminded by Alonso.

Eventually we will get a version of events from people that were actually there in the office and we may learn about things we are ignorant to at the moment, but right now nobody is talking and we don’t really know why Alonso was let go. Best not to guess based on internet chatter.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-03-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You're grasping at straws here; Marvel never had any plans for these characters, that's why they failed. The idiocy of identity politics is such that Marvel thought that readers could be conned into buying such garbage books just because the main character met certain demographic check boxes. This Marvel Rising cartoon will meet the same fate, because it's filled with those same identity politics characters, all surface level and no substance behind it. .
    So you got access to that script? So please tell us what it is about then?

May I remind you of something just because nothing is being done in comics does not mean nothing is being planned.

Need examples?

What was Blade doing when he got his first film?

Where was Static when he got his tv show? He was inactive for 3 years.

John Stewart was in a wheelchair in comics when Justice League cartoon started.

Where is Ms Martian? While she was on Young Justice & Supergirl?

We have Young Justice cartoon-rundown that roster and the majority of the roster is MIA in comics. A trend DC loves to do.

See you don't need to be active in comics to appear outside of them. Especially when you deal with characters who are HATED for their skin color, sexuality or gender.

I know more Aquaman fans who DO NOT read comics then I do who actually do. Same with Fantastic Four, Static, OG Wally West, Kyle of Green Lantern, Spider-Gwen, Miles, Ms Marvel & Inhumans.

Why would Marvel use America outside of comics? Probably like Moon Girl and others she'll bring in MORE money out of comics than in it. Probably because it's easier to sell Carol OUTSIDE of comics than in it.

Same with Miles. I know more folks who know of Miles thanks to Jason Reynolds's novel than Bendis's ENTIRE run.

Perhaps then you might finally concede that identity politics has no place in Marvel comics
    Translated-I never read the books.

I have read some of those books and Ms Marvel never beat her chest every page screaming she is Muslim. Nor does Quake or Patriot or Gwen or Carol.

You're grasping at straws here...
    While I will concede that I am deep in speculation (I'm not privy to Marvel's internal memos), I respectfully disagree.

Marvel never had any plans for these characters, that's why they failed.
    Maybe you should explain what you mean by Marvel not having any plans for them. Putting them in future film and TV projects sounds an awful lot like having plans for them. I mean, why go to the trouble of giving them more publicity if you don't want to do anything more with them?

The idiocy of identity politics is such that Marvel thought that readers could be conned into buying such garbage books just because the main character met certain demographic check boxes.
    While opinions on what makes good or bad comics will differ from person to person, but the thing is, I think a lot of the so-called SJW characters are actually well-liked by a decent number of the consumers. As I understand it, America Chavez was an already established character before her solo series and already had an audience (regardless of how well-liked or disliked the solo was). Kamala Khan was a hit. The Jane Foster Thor series got good reviews and sold better than the original Thor had been prior. Miles Morales was a successful character (I don't know how many think pieces I saw that argued he was the only good thing about the Ultimate line at the time of its ending) and is not only getting his own movie, but his series inspired elements of the popular Spider-Man: Homecoming movie. Spider-Gwen found her niche, which I think is pretty impressive, given that, from what (admittedly little) I've seen of it, I think it's a gimmick series with a limited shelf life (although the series commentary on Donald Trump's then-presidential campaign and cheeky self-deprecation about the gimmicky parts of of the series in the first annual do raise my opinions of it a bit). I literally once tried to find negative reviews of Moon Girl online and could not. About the only people I know who actively hate RiRi Williams are the "SJW Marvel" conspiracy theorists (like YouTubers "Diversity and Comics" and Douglas Ernst). (Personally, I'm not interested in the character, but I don't have a problem with her being around in a series I would never read in the first place.)

X-23 was already a popular character before she replaced Logan as Wolverine and her current series seems to be a success (while anecdotal, I do see that it makes a lot of "favorites" lists online and, at least in my home town, it sells well at the local comics store). All-New Wolverine is a favorite of mine, so I can say on good authority that it does the legacy character trope really well (X-23 is a logical choice since she's Logan's daughter, the series generally treats Logan himself with respect, and it keeps X-23 her own character). Also worth noting, X-23 not only made her cinematic debut in the Logan movie (introducing her to a wider audience), but she was also the breakout character of the film (to the point that Fox is tentatively planning to make an X-23 spinoff movie). I also find it a bit ironic that X-23 was an example of a white character being race-lifted for a film (biracial white/Latina), something that "SJW Marvel" conspiracy theorists seem to hate, yet the character turned out to be one of the movie's secret weapons (no pun intended).

While you didn't bring up Marvel's Star Wars line, their first true comics-only breakout character is Dr. Aphra, an Asian woman who's been strongly implied to be lesbian (possibly bisexual). The character was a smash hit in her origin as a supporting character in the first Darth Vader series and is currently the first (and only) character headlining a Star Wars comic who was created exclusively for the medium (not to mention appearing in other mediums in the franchise and winning the fan vote to get an action figure against better established fan favorites). (Point is, a character who you would dismiss as a stunt to check off diversity points is currently a fan favorite and well-written to justify it.)

Individual success of the series may vary from title to title, but I'm not sure where you getting this idea that the fans rejected these characters in masse. They don't appeal to everyone, that is a given, but the only people who seem to object to their existence with such antipathy are the "SJW Marvel" conspiracy theorists. While it's fine not to like something, the attitude, based on what I've seen and read from the people themselves, is a "dog in the manger" situation, at best, and nasty fanboy entitlement, at worst.

This Marvel Rising cartoon will meet the same fate, because it's filled with those same identity politics characters, all surface level and no substance behind it.
    Considering that we know nothing about what it'll be, beyond the cast and that the movie was made to give some of the lesser-known characters the spotlight, that's pretty impressive insight, since there's nothing to base in on one way or the other. I think we should let the movie come out and judge it my its actual merits, not the opinions we're forming from the teasers and publicity.

Perhaps then you might finally concede that identity politics has no place in Marvel comics.
    Given that the "SJW Marvel" conspiracy theorists have been insisting that Marvel will pay the price for not pandering to them for years now, and the company is still in the black, I'm skeptical that they will be vindicated anytime soon. However, the thing is, you guys have such a broad definition of "identity politics," that it become extremely useless. I think it's the old "see everything as a nail when you have a hammer" mentality. So, to be totally honest, I think you're chasing shadows that you yourselves created. I mean, you have yet to give a concrete example of how Marvel is being "SJW" (which is a loaded term, but whatever).

While not a professional, I do have a creative background in graphics and writing, so I do have a stronger leaning towards creators' rights (being one myself), so I do take the opinion that while we the consumers have the right to decide what goes or doesn't go into their collections (post-OMD ASM -- esp. Dan Slott's ASM run -- will never have a place in mine), but I think that writers have the right to tell the kinds of stories they think are needed. After all, they are privy to stuff we're not.

(I'm undoubtedly a very weird comics reader. I tend to prefer the classic characters over legacy ones, but, not counting the great non-ASM Spider-Man stuff, my current favorites are All-New Wolverine, with a woman taking over a guy's mantle; Green Lanterns, with non-white GL Corpspersons headlining the main Lanterns series; and Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, about a gay woman from an ethnic minority. Even weirder, I don't like them for being diverse, politically correct, or whatever. I like them because I really like those characters, which, I suspect, is a large reason why anyone likes any given comic.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I come here to give my thoughts on the thread and I see b**ching about diversity. Not even surprised.

Anyway, not really expecting anything but as for what I want:

- Sam Wilson to take back the shield. (Still not over this. Probably never will be.)
    - The five books I currently read to not get cancelled.
    - Champions to live up to its potential and make proper use of its excellent cast. No more crossovers and tie ins please.
    - X-Men Red to be really good.
    - The Runaways to be full assembled with Xavin and Klara being brought back.
    - Another Squirrel Girl graphic novel (The first one was SO good)
    - New books for Mayday Parker and Exiles.
    - Ben Reilly to get his old personality back.
    - Molly Hayes and Gabby Kinney to meet and do a fastball special.
    Last edited by Assam; 01-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.