My mom (you guys like her- she's not a Trump fan) is rather pissed off about the celebration of International Women's Day.

She thinks the idea to celebrate Women's Day is good, but there's a history behind March 8 that makes it particularly awkward for her as someone who grew up in Estonia when it was occupied by the Soviet Union.

March 8 was proposed a long time*ago by communists Rosa Luxemburg, Clara Zetkin, and Alexandra Kollontai, largely to honor women the role of the working women of St. Petersburg in the revolution. Lenin was the first world leader to declare this as a national holiday in 1922 as International Working Women's Day (there weren't women who didn't work in the Soviet Union). In Soviet occupied countries, it was not taken seriously, and much parodied.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/kol...womens-day.htm
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    "We knew he was a piece of **** when we voted for him."
    Voters will ignore that type of thing when the alternative is deemed worse policy-wise. Democrats voted for Bill Clinton back in '92 (as did I, FWIW) despite all of the stories circulating about him for the same reason.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    She is quite young, yes.
    No, she isn't. She looks young, yes, and good for her for that. But she was born January 20, 1967.

Former Assoc. Dir. of National Intelligence: "it was entirely possible votes were tampered with."

After the last presidential election, I heard one expert after another reassure voters that the Russians could not have hacked voting machines or state vote tallying systems on a scale large enough to tip the presidential election…

As much as we’d all like to believe such confident pronouncements, my experience in the intelligence world, where I served as Associate Director of National Intelligence, has lead me to one inescapable conclusion—the optimistic “experts” are probably wrong, and all of us should acknowledge that our unconscious (or not-so-unconscious) need to believe that our democracy can’t be subverted by foreigners, blinds us to powerful evidence to the contrary. And, after embracing this scary possibility, we should do a lot more to secure our voting systems than we are doing now…
    But Hillary is at fault for only winning by 3 million votes. We can't look for the other reasons we have the baboon in the WH.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    No, she isn't. She looks young, yes, and good for her for that. But she was born January 20, 1967.
    Sounds young to me (since I'm only a couple of years older ). Regardless of her views or age, I think Stacey Dash is sexy as all hell.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Trump steel tariffs may leave these U.S. steelworkers jobless

The U.S. steel industry employed about 147,000 people in 2015, according to the Commerce Department's Bureau of Economic analysis. Manufacturers that need steel employ about 6.5 million people each year and the construction industry 6.3 million.
    Not unsurprising considering how little Trump understands Economics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Trump steel tariffs may leave these U.S. steelworkers jobless

Not unsurprising considering how little Trump understands Economics.
    I am shocked, SHOCKED, that finding the stupidest man in the world and making him King didn't work. I was so sure of this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Depends on what "Care" means.

If it's the "Bar"/"Licensing" issues the lawyer might have as a result of what he did? None of my business.

If it's the "Political Donation" angle? Seems like that should be, at least, looked into.
    This morning the AM Joy pundit asserted that the Stormy Affair wasn't going away as quickly as many other Trump-tasms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If the act shocked you as much as you try to claim you wouldn't respond by not condemning the people threatening a bookstore and instead bring up liberals. So yes, it's very silly to now ask that question as if you actually care about the answer.
    The implication of the post to which I responded was, "Only those mouth-breathing conservatives do things like this."

I can and do condemn both actions, though I realize that the people burning Captain America comics aren't doing anything that prevents others from buying the items in question. In contrast to both the attempts to get Harry Potter books out of libraries (conservative) and to keep innocent young minds from being warped by comics (dat ole liberal debbil Wertham).

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I find that to be hilarious since those same neo-Nazis wouldn’t be a fraction as kind to that sellout Dash because of the color of her skin. I might be wrong, but kissing up to goosesteppers is no way to win the black vote, Stacey.
    Maybe she's more worried about being assaulted by Antifa, since she's gone after them more openly.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    The implication of the post to which I responded was, "Only those mouth-breathing conservatives do things like this."

I can and do condemn both actions, though I realize that the people burning Captain America comics aren't doing anything that prevents others from buying the items in question. In contrast to both the attempts to get Harry Potter books out of libraries (conservative) and to keep innocent young minds from being warped by comics (dat ole liberal debbil Wertham).
    You mean this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Additionally, they are threatening to burn down a bookstore...

Way to lean into the popular comparison narrative, Dipshit.
    Yeah, not buying it. Best you could get to is 'Conservatives are trying to be Nazis' with that. In that case, nice strawman! Additionally: If you can only condemn something when it's brought up that you didn't (And even then Half-Assedly, like POTEC) it's clear you don't really care. Even then you have to relate to things that are bullshit too, like how Potter burners weren't yelling about protecting kids while flinging books onto the bonfire and were just upset about Libraries, or how Dash is worried about Antifa attacking her in response to a post about her craven defense of Neo-Nazis.

As for my personal beliefs? I think book burning is wrong, but it is laughable when it's clear that it does nothing overall like in both the Potter/Cap cases. People burning holy books in order to stir up extremists is far worse IMO, but that's unrelated to this here.

BANNED

Maybe she's more worried about being assaulted by Antifa, since she's gone after them more openly.
    Antifa isn't running around assaulting people that aren't them

that's what racist white a-holes do

Oh man, you gotta be scared of Antifa. What with their flesh-rending teeth that that claw they use to disembowel their prey.
    Oh wait, no, I'm thinking of Velociraptors. My mistake. You're way more likely to see a dinosaur than an Antifa.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

How do we fight voter suppression?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    How do we fight voter suppression?
    In the short term: Register more people to vote, and vote in the people not suppressing the votes.

Long Term: Vote for those who bring up voter suppression and popular vote initiatives when their party is in power rather than a minority.