Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The existence of Guardians of the Galaxy as a powerhouse movie franchise is proof enough it's true.
    Why do you think the Guardians are bad characters?

Invincible Member

I think there's bad characters but a good writer can use them in good stories.

For instance, good comics have been made using some of Rob Liefeld lousy rip off characters ( Supreme, Glory, Profit...).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    No I don't agree with that idea. Some characters are bad characters and no good or great writer can make them good or great quality characters not without a extreme makeover which is saying this idea was a stinker a failure that needs a extreme makeover.

Jihad
    Wow what a utterly unoriginal uncreative and racist character that is a Genie that wants to conquer the World with the word Jihad as his name. Even if this wasn't shortly before 9/11 he is still a unoriginal uncreative and racist character that would need a extreme makeover including a nane for him to be not racist along with creative and original for why the hell he wants to rule the World or conquer the World.
    Okay, "no bad characters" may be overstating it, but I think what you've got there is more one of the few outlier examples, rather than proof that the regression mean doesn't hold.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hey, no need to put down the good Captain just to prop up Teth-Adam.

But I'm totally with you on Ordway. Any creator can exploit the greatness found within each and every individual who has ever made a comic book appearance, and I truly believe BOTH Billy Batson and Black Adam are no exceptions.
    Did not mean to put down [the real] Captain Marvel, I love him. I was just pointing out that (at least for a while) DC seemed to love Black Adam a lot more, and only seemed to feature the Captain as an excuse to put BA on stage.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

To me good characters are the ones that age well, and with only minor tweaks. Bat characters are the ones that they have to keep totally revamping

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why do you think the Guardians are bad characters?
    I...don't? I was agreeing with the premise.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Okay, "no bad characters" may be overstating it, but I think what you've got there is more one of the few outlier examples, rather than proof that the regression mean doesn't hold.

Did not mean to put down [the real] Captain Marvel, I love him. I was just pointing out that (at least for a while) DC seemed to love Black Adam a lot more, and only seemed to feature the Captain as an excuse to put BA on stage.
    I'll agree with the notion but saying no bad characters only bad writers is 1 of the dumbest most asinine inane beliefs because it's all rose colored glasses similar when Hollywood refuses to accept a movie failed because it's a bad or awful movie.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    I'll agree with the notion but saying no bad characters only bad writers is 1 of the dumbest most asinine inane beliefs because it's all rose colored glasses similar when Hollywood refuses to accept a movie failed because it's a bad or awful movie.
    Not to derail the thread, but I don't believe that Hollywood refuses to accept a movie failed because it's bad. Hollywood knows full well they put out some bad movies. They are purposely dumb down movies in order for them to appeal to a larger audience cuz they think that's what people want. Regrettably, it's worked for them a number of times.

BANNED

Sometimes a singer finds the right song for him, and it clicks, and he has a hit. It can be the same for a writer and a character. A good writer won't write every character equally well.

And sometimes a character just carries too much baggage that earlier writers have piled onto him.

I've also seen some occasions where a writer does a great job with a character for a short time, but later writers don't seem to have read that run or just don't pick up on what that writer did, and they don't recapture the great characterization.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-20-2018 at 06:15 AM.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but I don't believe that Hollywood refuses to accept a movie failed because it's bad. Hollywood knows full well they put out some bad movies. They are purposely dumb down movies in order for them to appeal to a larger audience cuz they think that's what people want. Regrettably, it's worked for them a number of times.
    I'm not saying they don't do accept some movies are awful failures if that were true no damn way they would have remade Judge Dredd with the terrific movie Dredd, a unfaithful laughable has issues movie Tomb Raider with a serious Tomb Raider movie that was faithful to the source material mainly the new Tomb Raider video game.
    That is a great remake Tomb Raider and also it is a terrific movie.
    I really wish Hollywood would do that for Doom, Double Dragon, and all other feature movies based on Video games from the past which they used 0 damn effort or mostly no damn effort to be faithful to the video game that they claimed the movie is based on, along with intentional effort to make a great or terrific movie.

Hollywood has consistently remade movies that don't need remakes because the movies are great and terrific instead of remaking movies that are awful or bad, and should be remade because the movies could be good, or terrific.

Also Hollywood has refused to accept that Making Feature movies based on Video Games that are highly unfaithful with barely resembling the video game or 0 resemblance is a awful formula they've done that for most all feature movies based on Video games which has constantly failed both quality and the box office, how many damn times have they modified a Rated R movie series then used a pg or pg13 that failed at the box office no doubt more than once including the abysmal Robocop 3 and Conan the Destroyer, so yes Hollywood has refused to accept those are awful movies because of their awful formulas if they did they would stop repeating those damn mistakes.
    So Hollywood is guilty of not accepting they made bad or awful movies because of reusing those awful formulas much like the Chicago Bears wasted more than 3 damn seasons with the bust Bum choker loser embarrassment that is Jay the Loser Bum Choker has no damn passion uninspiraitonal Cutler.
    His NFL Record shows he's a loser in the NFL.

I agree with you, op.
    Characters are what the writers make them up to be.