Amazing Member

Default Getting back into comics after 10 years

So over the past year I've started getting back into the whole superhero thing and just bought the new ASM #1 the other day. I decided to just back into comics as a whole and had no clue where to start because since I've last read the comics everything has gone crazy. So I have a few questions.

Is the Superior Spider-Man NECESSARY for me to read? Or is it not really worth the time.
    What are 5 story arcs (it does not matter what time period) that would just be worth adding?

Superior Spider-Man is not necessary, but it is fun.

Arcs worth checking out...

Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
    Dan Slott's exploration of Spider-Man and Human Torch's relationship over the years.

Unscheduled Stop (Amazing Spider-Man #578-579)
    In which Mark Waid introduces a new supporting character, and puts Spider-Man in a terrible situation. Exhibit A in why Marcos Martin is the most acclaimed Spider-Man artist of the last decade.

Gauntlet: The Lizard (Amazing Spider-Man #630-633)
    Divisive but memorable arc in which a major Spider-Man villain is changed forever.

No One Died (Amazing Spider-Man #655-656)
    Exhibit B in why Marcos Martin is so acclaimed. Spider-Man deals with a recent tragedy by making an ambitious promise. Meanwhile, a nasty new villain is introduced.

Spider Island (Amazing Spider-Man #666-673)
    Well-received high concept storyline, as everyone in New York get spider powers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    So over the past year I've started getting back into the whole superhero thing and just bought the new ASM #1 the other day. I decided to just back into comics as a whole and had no clue where to start because since I've last read the comics everything has gone crazy. So I have a few questions.

Is the Superior Spider-Man NECESSARY for me to read? Or is it not really worth the time.
    What are 5 story arcs (it does not matter what time period) that would just be worth adding?
    Please read Superior Spider-Man. Will give a lot of context to the happenings of the new Amazing Spider-Man series. Plus it is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Superior Spider-Man is not necessary, but it is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Spider Island (Amazing Spider-Man #666-673)
    Well-received high concept storyline, as everyone in New York get spider powers.
    Two series that are Spider-man related and connect with this one are Venom and Scarlet Spider.

Venom (2011 to 2013, 42 issues)
    Flash Thompson, now an ex-combatant who, inspired by Spider-man, fought in the Iraqi War and lost his legs, is offered the chance by the military to serve once more and become what he always wanted: a superhero. Under careful monitoring of scientists (and several other precautions), he is given the symbiote to become Agent Venom - a black-ops super soldier. Yet, not everything is as perfect as it seems. suffice to say it has very obscure elements and moments.

Scarlet Spider (2012 to 2013, totaling 25 issues)
    This one springs forth from the last pages of Spider-Island so I won't spoil it, but basically, it is Kaine's redemption in Houston, Texas. Yes, Kaine the insane and unstable clone of Spider-man from the Clone Saga. I enjoyed it a lot. Although it contains some very dark moments, it is generally more lighthearted than Venom (and even a bit humorous). After this story, Kaine embarks to other adventure, but if you come from having read only his Clone Saga, Lost Years or Grim Hunt adventures, you wouldn't believe where and with who. Spoiler: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=49906
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 05-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

If you're gonna read Superior Spider-Man than you'll want to read Ends of The Earth and Dying Wish as well.

I was in exactly the same position as you a little while ago. I read New Ways to Die, which threw me at first, until I clicked with Dan Slott's particular style of writing, and realised there was a Silver Age energy in his modern, and very well plotted stories.

I then purchased a Big Time Ultimate Collection TPB, which collects 648 - 662. It's a big fat book, lots of fun and a great reintroduction to Spider-Man comics. If you vibe with Dan Slott's style, you'll be pleased you picked it up.

Finally, Mark Waid's Unscheduled Stop, a 2 issue story in ASM 578-579 is just incredible.

It seems we're currently experiencing a golden age of comics - it's a good time to be getting back into things.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Plenty of great material up there. God knows it might sound nuts, but I'd add onto the pile Marvel Knights: Spider-Man by Mark Millar, Terry Dodson and Frank Cho. It's probably the most 'toned-down' Millar comic of the last decade or so, and it's great stuff.