Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    So wait, after all of the (sometimes unfair) bashing of BvS we had to endure, some here are disappointed with “good not great”? Am I reading this right?

If this movie, a Snyder movie, gets scored in the 60’s to 70’s, that’s a goddamn win for us DCEU fans lol
    I think the difference is, this time around some of us are afraid we agree with the critics. Suicide Squad aside, it sounds like there's a chance this could be the least favorite DCEU film yet for already existing fans of the franchise. I'm glad the universe will survive but I can't say I'm overly excited for a tone that pleases general audiences more than it will please my actual experience. Not that I'm going in with that assumption, I expect to like it, but if humor and "fun" is what's saving the movie for a lot of critics, it might not be enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jertz666 View Post
    Just a reminder: Initial reactions tend to be overwhelmingly positive. So the mixed-to-somewhat-positive reactions we're seeing right now may not be a good sign. This is the time we should be seeing raves like "Best superhero movie ever !" That's why all scores whether it's Rotten Tomatoes or user ratings tend to go down over time.

For now, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Visually, the movie looks ugly to me but I'm glad to see the words "fun" and "funny" pop up in these tweets.
    I think the reviews are very conscious that it's a foundation for the franchise and are approaching it from that angle, rather than simply viewing it as its own movie. They know what the baggage was coming in and the stakes going forward. So instead of just being "a fun time at the movies", they have to remind us "there are still flaws", because the audience perceived massive flaws before.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Just a reminder: Initial reactions tend to be overwhelmingly positive. So the mixed-to-somewhat-positive reactions we're seeing right now may not be a good sign. This is the time we should be seeing raves like "Best superhero movie ever !" That's why all scores whether it's Rotten Tomatoes or user ratings tend to go down over time.

For now, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Visually, the movie looks ugly to me but I'm glad to see the words "fun" and "funny" pop up in these tweets.
    Considering that it isn't getting those reactions IS a good thing. Also a majority of these aren't initial reactions as screenings took place at the beginning of the month some folks already seen the film twice!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I get what you are saying but the difference with the BvS and SS initial reactions is they were mainly from fan screenings and the premier etc. these are actual critics and yeah as others have said they seem a bit more level headed and objective than "OMG Better than Dark Knight!".

The fact that WB moved the embargo up seems to suggest they feel confident the general consensus will stay positive.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Mighty Member

Here is a list so far for the JL.

Looks it will be every other cbm. Relatively weak villian and 3rd act being cgi heavy, jokey, lots of action and battling a generic army, sounds like I'm gonna have some mind numbing fun.

Its sad though. If BvS and SS were received better, JL could have easily made Avengers-Jurassic World numbers, depending on exchange rates. But I guess at least over a billion should be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    It sounds like this'll fail where Wonder Woman succeeded: have some actual substance in spite of its format.
    I'll have to disagree with that, I think WW had as much substance as the majority of its recent fellow superhero movie peers.

It looks like JL will be like WW to an extent. A weak villian with a straight forwardish story with humor and fun. Topped with a bunch of nameless, facelss soldiers.

But I think many will be okay with that. I know I'll be watching regardless. And I know people give flack for the RT/Critics reviews but it makes sense because people want the safety of knowing that there is a high chance they won't feel ripped off when they waste 25 dollars on a ticket plus food.

Mighty Member

Conner Schwerdtfeger @ConnerWS
    Yo whoever is running this @reddit #JusticeLeague thread: my review is positive, not mixed
    To update on the list I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that, I think WW had as much substance as the majority of its recent fellow superhero movie peers.

It looks like JL will be like WW to an extent. A weak villian with a straight forwardish story with humor and fun. Topped with a bunch of nameless, facelss soldiers.
    Its nice to see mostly positive reviews for the film thus far, but I agree this new, lighter approach is a little disappointing.

I liked that the DCEU tried to do something different than Marvel. I like that they tried to dig into the philosophy and mythology (in a classic, archetypal sense) and deeper meanings and motivations of these people, and how the real world would respond to their arrival. They swung for the fences. I gotta respect that.

Wonder Woman was a good film. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. But it didn't try to get too deep, with one of the most philosophical characters in comics, if not fiction as a whole. Im a little sad to see them give up this original attempt to say something with weight to it, even if they've largely failed thus far. I don't think the lessons to learn from BvS and SS were "Drop the higher intellectual bar and just copy Marvel, with easy jokes and good action pieces to distract from the lack of plot or villain."

Im not insulting any films here (especially since I havent seen JL yet). And it sounds like I'll enjoy myself when the family goes to see it. That's great, and at the end of the day that's all I need. But I cant help but feel that we might be losing out on something that could have been different, and in some ways, better.

Imagine if the DCEU could re-structure itself into a PG-13 shared universe of Logan style films; daring and thoughtful and emotional, instead of another humorous, light hearted world like the Avengers with a Snyder-style visual paint job.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-10-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But I think many will be okay with that. I know I'll be watching regardless. And I know people give flack for the RT/Critics reviews but it makes sense because people want the safety of knowing that there is a high chance they won't feel ripped off when they waste 25 dollars on a ticket plus food.
    He's saying JL looks to have less substance than WW, not that WW didn't have substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its nice to see mostly positive reviews for the film thus far, but I agree this new, lighter approach is a little disappointing.

I liked that the DCEU tried to do something different than Marvel. I like that they tried to dig into the philosophy and mythology (in a classic, archetypal sense) and deeper meanings and motivations of these people, and how the real world would respond to their arrival. They swung for the fences. I gotta respect that.

Wonder Woman was a good film. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. But it didn't try to get too deep, with one of the most philosophical characters in comics, if not fiction as a whole. Im a little sad to see them give up this original attempt to say something with weight to it, even if they've largely failed thus far. I don't think the lessons to learn from BvS and SS were "Drop the higher intellectual bar and just copy Marvel, with easy jokes and good action pieces to distract from the lack of plot or villain."

Im not insulting any films here (especially since I havent seen JL yet). And it sounds like I'll enjoy myself when the family goes to see it. That's great, and at the end of the day that's all I need. But I cant help but feel that we might be losing out on something that could have been different, and in some ways, better.

Imagine if the DCEU could re-structure itself into a PG-13 shared universe of Logan style films; daring and thoughtful and emotional, instead of another humorous, light hearted world like the Avengers with a Snyder-style visual paint job.
    Well said. These characters deserve more I think.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Wonder Woman was a good film. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. But it didn't try to get too deep, with one of the most philosophical characters in comics, if not fiction as a whole.
    I respectfully disagree. Wonder Woman is a deceptively deep film, which I didn't fully appreciate until I watched it again. There's a lot going on under the hood, from the nature of war, to open vs. closed societies, and its both obvious and subtle feminism.

Siddhant Adlakha over at Birth. Death. Movies. has done a very good job of articulating how much depth there really is to Wonder Woman once you start looking past the Hollywood blockbuster bells and whistles.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/...cting-idealism

Looks it will be every other cbm. Relatively weak villian and 3rd act being cgi heavy, jokey, lots of action and battling a generic army, sounds like I'm gonna have some mind numbing fun.

Its sad though. If BvS and SS were received better, JL could have easily made Avengers-Jurassic World numbers, depending on exchange rates. But I guess at least over a billion should be good enough.
    at this stage i dont think WB could afford to experiment with the superhero movie formula. they needed to play it safe. there's just far too much riding on this movie. they couldn't afford to have another BvS-like disappointment. despite Wonder Woman's success, the DCEU brand is still tarnished. they needed Justice League to just be a fun ride that makes the average viewer excited to see the stand alone flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    at this stage i dont think WB could afford to experiment with the superhero movie formula. they needed to play it safe. there's just far too much riding on this movie. they couldn't afford to have another BvS-like disappointment. despite Wonder Woman's success, the DCEU brand is still tarnished. they needed Justice League to just be a fun ride that makes the average viewer excited to see the stand alone flicks.
    "Underwhelming" could backfire just as much. People might walk out saying "this is their big course correction? It was alright." Fans will go see the other movies again, but maybe not the parents or boyfriend/girlfriend or friend the fan dragged along.

Hoping that's not the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    To update on the list I found.
    Yeah, I see some certain individuals jumping to call some reactions "mixed" even though they are of the same variety of most positively reviewed movies from the competition. Glad that that reviewer clarified it. Anyway, not long now until we know where Justice League exactly stands with critics.