Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

To me, Earth 616 did not became a mess when Rachel Summers in the 80's and Bishop from the early 90's fled from their Earth's and lived on on Earth 616.
    Likewise when the counterpart of 616 Swordsman was stranded on Earth 616 in the early 90's in the pages of 'vengers.

In the late 90's Nate Grey, Sugarman, Holocaust and Dark Beast also fled from their Earth to Earth 616.

All these characters did not, to me, make Earth 616 a mess to me.
    I expect the new mainstream marvel earth post SW to also not be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I expect the new mainstream marvel earth post SW to also not be a mess.
    You are right as long as it is kept simple.

This event isn't as simple as 'person goes back in time accidentily and can't go back' (See Bishop). But I generally agree, the resulting world after will be no different to how AoA was handled.

I'm more wondering as to what exactly these heroes would consider a threat anymore, what's the point of story about Juggernaut stealing from a bank when the universe just ended? The scale of SW is too big.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    You are right as long as it is kept simple.

This event isn't as simple as 'person goes back in time accidentily and can't go back' (See Bishop). But I generally agree, the resulting world after will be no different to how AoA was handled.

I'm more wondering as to what exactly these heroes would consider a threat anymore, what's the point of story about Juggernaut stealing from a bank when the universe just ended? The scale of SW is too big.
    EXTREMELY good point!
    It makes me curious, to find out in future marvel comics, how marvel comics will tackle the question ; what would marvel superheroes consider a threat anymore after the way-beyond-omega threat of ending the marvel multiverse?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Depends. I hope they do use it to streamline their history (lord knows some franchises need it -- yes, I'm looking at you, X-Men), which could definitely help, without cutting it out at the knees. If they're just straight up bringing in characters like Old Man Logan from parallel realities and having them, or even entire new countries based on some comments, exist in the Marvel Universe, it pretty severely undermines the idea of accessibility to new readers if a huge chunk of the backstory is going to have to be prefaced with "oh, by the way, these guys are from parallel universes that were brought here in a weird Multiversal event book literally built on 70+ years of Marvel history that is now the fundamental cornerstone of how everything works now". I think the former is a much better springboard for the "basis of the next 75 years of stories" comment, however hyperbolic, than the latter, which screams "this lasts three years, tops".
    What DoT said.

Though I fully expect it to be an utter mess. As long as it doesn't bleed into Ms. Marvel...

BANNED

"You know what you are? You're a f-ing Omnishambles, that's what you are, you're like that coffe machine, from bean to cup, you f up"-Malcom Tucker to the Bullpen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Not really. You could say that after Galactus was first introduced way back in the day that, after that, anything less world-threatening than a being that could potentially devour the planet would be too trivial to be interesting but yet it didn't stop stories from being told that were on the level of bank heists and so on. Marvel's always told stories that involve mass destruction alongside stories about smaller-scaled threats and it's never been an issue.

Put it this way - if you managed to survive a massive disaster like a flood or an earthquake, you'd still be alarmed if a mugger pulled a knife on you. You wouldn't be "eh, I've been through worse." What you've been through in the past doesn't take precedence over what's happening at the moment.

Isn't part of the whole point of doing this event to make a universe that is NOT the mess it has become? Post-SW will be much less convoluted I expect

It's too early to tell really. We'll have to see what state the main Earth is in.

If the theories prove right, and whatever results is exactly one mashed together universe, then yes, I'd expect a mess.

But here's the thing, if we assume what people theorize is the case, Marvel will only start off introducing a few alternate universe characters. But what happens in 10 years? 20? More and more alternate universe characters could be introduced to the mainstream universe with a prominent role and possibly doppelgangers? Potnetial for a mess imo if they're not careful.

All under the assumption everything will be under one umbrella. Which I actually don't think will be the case.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Isn't part of the whole point of doing this event to make a universe that is NOT the mess it has become? Post-SW will be much less convoluted I expect
    No the point it is marketing and it is obvious.
    Maybe I'm to negative but there is something that screams in me:
    Last edited by TakoM; 06-12-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not really. You could say that after Galactus was first introduced way back in the day that, after that, anything less world-threatening than a being that could potentially devour the planet would be too trivial to be interesting but yet it didn't stop stories from being told that were on the level of bank heists and so on. Marvel's always told stories that involve mass destruction alongside stories about smaller-scaled threats and it's never been an issue.

Put it this way - if you managed to survive a massive disaster like a flood or an earthquake, you'd still be alarmed if a mugger pulled a knife on you. You wouldn't be "eh, I've been through worse." What you've been through in the past doesn't take precedence over what's happening at the moment.
    I get you, but part of it is a matter of what the writer can top in the next big event. Looking back on certain big events, House of M, Siege, AvX, Civil War, World War Hulk and Secret Invasion were big events but never ventured away from earth, it had beatable opponents with more reserved plotlines.

They were not 'The End of Everything'. This is too large of a scale, in my opinion.

Hmm, yet at the same time, I don't feel as though the characters are invested in it. House of M, Civil War, WWH and AvX seemed very personal for the characters. This is just outside of their scope. I mean look at #1, it just had thing flying about, 2 worlds 'colliding', numerous 'deaths' on panel and everything but not personal character stakes in it other than 'Well, we've got to save the universe.'

You've made me think, I still think it's too big.

It's not a reboot remember. If they want to make it more confusing they can, like before the event killing Wolverine, then after the event, having his genetic daughter take up the name of Wolverine but having a future version of Wolverine running around too. But you know, not Wolverine.

I expanded on this on my tumblr, but there is no way that this is just a normal event. This is a gnostic story. Doom/Strange/Reece have built the world anew, thay have become a kind of triumvirate demiurge and I suspect their works will not be quite as they seem right now.

I think, once all of this is done and dusted we will have a world that looks like the old one but we the readers and certain characters will know the truth. And as the universe, and quite possibly a simplified multiverse will be created in front of our eyes it almost has to be a simplified and streamlined one. It will presumably be a world almost but not quite like the one before it. Where writers will be free to play with ideas from the past but will not be tied into exact continuity because that continuity was from a different world in a different and deleted timeline.

One thing is for sure, if this happens the way I suspect then many here and elsewhere will accuse Marvel of doing what DC did before them, but it will not be the same. A certain magical thing will have occured, a whole rich universe passed into the hands of writers, artists and creatively inclined editors to do what they will.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

No, because now you have tons of things that aren't supposed to be working together forced to work together. Keeping them separate was simple.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    No, because now you have tons of things that aren't supposed to be working together forced to work together. Keeping them separate was simple.
    What tons of things?

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    EXTREMELY good point!
    It makes me curious, to find out in future marvel comics, how marvel comics will tackle the question ; what would marvel superheroes consider a threat anymore after the way-beyond-omega threat of ending the marvel multiverse?
    If everybody came through Battleworld with their Battleworld memories still in tact, then they would let Juggy rob the bank. That threat is infinitisimal compared to Thors coming down and removing you to the Wall for littering. Hell, let all the bank robbers take stuff. The Earth wouldn't even come close to being worse than under Doom in Battleworld. It would be Heven with Juggy stealing stuff.

People may still feel threatened if they are victims of crime, but just giving the X-23 example, she never felt anything after escaping that facility that made her. Her whole moral compass was upset.

Conversely, if all their memory of Battleworld experience is wiped, then the world will go on as normal.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-12-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I expanded on this on my tumblr, but there is no way that this is just a normal event. This is a gnostic story. Doom/Strange/Reece have built the world anew, thay have become a kind of triumvirate demiurge and I suspect their works will not be quite as they seem right now.

I think, once all of this is done and dusted we will have a world that looks like the old one but we the readers and certain characters will know the truth. And as the universe, and quite possibly a simplified multiverse will be created in front of our eyes it almost has to be a simplified and streamlined one. It will presumably be a world almost but not quite like the one before it. Where writers will be free to play with ideas from the past but will not be tied into exact continuity because that continuity was from a different world in a different and deleted timeline.

One thing is for sure, if this happens the way I suspect then many here and elsewhere will accuse Marvel of doing what DC did before them, but it will not be the same. A certain magical thing will have occured, a whole rich universe passed into the hands of writers, artists and creatively inclined editors to do what they will.
    I'm interested in the statements mentioning some things on Battleworld will continue, (whether that means Battleworld still exists and feeds into the New Marvel, or, transposed into the New Marvel), because if everybody has experience of what different domains they encountered in the Last War, they wouldn't be shocked if some elements appear they have seen before. Alliances could have been formed between Limbo, Arachnia, and Technopolis, so nobody's going to freak out if there is some cross-polinisation. It's just that it will look strange Cap riding on a T-Rex down Broadway.