Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Default Should Marvel Try To Tempt Remender Back?

Shots fired! In a move that sent shockwaves around the (comic) world, DC has snatched Bendis away from Marvel on an exclusive contract. What’s more, it’s possible Jonathan Hickman will follow suit and sign with DC upon his return from creator owned work.

So, where does this leave Marvel? In need of a big name? A big seller? An....architect? Remenders Marvel work was, for the most part, well received and financially successful. Since he’s left Marvel his reputation has only increased thanks to great books like Tokyo Ghost, Low and Seven to Eternity. I’m not sure they’d get him back to the same extent as before but even getting him back for one monthly would be a good move in my eyes.

Do you think Marvel could tempt Remender back? Should they? Would you like to see him return?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Shots fired! In a move that sent shockwaves around the (comic) world, DC has snatched Bendis away from Marvel on an exclusive contract. What’s more, it’s possible Jonathan Hickman will follow suit and sign with DC upon his return from creator owned work.

So, where does this leave Marvel? In need of a big name? A big seller? An....architect? Remenders Marvel work was, for the most part, well received and financially successful. Since he’s left Marvel his reputation has only increased thanks to great books like Tokyo Ghost, Low and Seven to Eternity. I’m not sure they’d get him back to the same extent as before but even getting him back for one monthly would be a good move in my eyes.

Do you think Marvel could tempt Remender back? Should they? Would you like to see him return?
    I would love to see Remender back.

However, it does seem he doesn't want to work at Marvel again.

Didn't he tweet that he had a nightmare about being compelled to write a tie-in to some corporation mandated crossover?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Is Hickman going to DC reported somewhere?
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 11-09-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Didn't he tweet that he had a nightmare about being compelled to write a tie-in to some corporation mandated crossover?
    I’m not too sure. He definitely seems pretty content doing his own thing. I’d like to see Marvel push the boat out though, even for just one book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Nothing concrete. I think he’s dropped a couple of hints on Twitter.

Remender is very mediocre IMO
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Not for his Uncanny X-Force, the rest of his Marvel books were really bad even Captain America but maybe was more because of Romita Jr art (lately he isn´t in his best moment) than other thing, though in some moments Uncanny Avengers was good at its beginnings but Axis and last issues killed every moment of enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Same here, his Uncanny X-Force stuff was good, but stuff like Uncanny Avengers, AXIS and Cap were very poor

BANNED

I loved Remender's Marvel work (well, most of it) but I don't think going back would be good for him or for Marvel. He did his time and it was clear by the time he left that his heart was now towards doing his own creator owned work.

As for Bendis, while it's a bummer for Marvel to lose him, I think it's a healthy move for both him and Marvel. Financially, it's a hit Marvel can afford as Bendis hasn't sold like he used to for awhile now. Creatively, it's more of a sting but Bendis has been the unofficial "voice" of Marvel for so long, I think it's time for things to be shaken up a bit. For every fan that loves Bendis, there's probably two that think he's been a pox on Marvel. At the very least, he's been divisive and Civil War II was sort of emblematic of every negative quality that his detractors have always said about him. So moving on isn't such a bad thing at this point, even though he's doing excellent work on books like Defenders and Spider-Man currently.

The thing is, writers and artists come and go at these companies. And as hard as it might be to imagine that anyone can fill the void they leave, it does happen. Over and over. I'm sure early Marvel fans thought the company would collapse when Stan or Kirby or Ditko left, it didn't. And Marvel survived the departure of Byrne at his height and all the Image guys. That's just how it goes. People leave but then people you didn't expect come in and blow the roof off the place.

Personally I haven't been as excited for the future of either Marvel or DC as I am now for quite awhile. There's a new sense of "anything's possible" at both companies so we'll see what happens.

DC would have to offer a boatload of cash for Hickman to join them. I don't see it happening, not for long anyways, especially since his creator owned books are doing so well.

Same goes for Marvel getting Remender back. I've enjoyed a lot of his work, especially Uncanny X-Force, Agent Venom, and his SamCap book, but his Axis event was horrible. According to him it's because editorial were way too involved. I believe that, and it didn't seem like he wanted to get back to working with Marvel any time soon.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I miss Remender's work too. He did some quality stuff for Marvel, especially with Uncanny X-Force. I would welcome him back to Marvel with open arms and eagerly check out anything he has to offer.

Sadly, I don't think he's coming back. I get the sense he wanted to do more creator-owned stuff. He hasn't really shown an inclination to go to Marvel or DC since he left. And I can understand that. I've read some of his books and they're great. I still miss his work from Marvel, but I totally understand why he's staying where he is.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's been rumored for maybe like a year now that he might do something for them, though I've never heard anything concrete developing.
    (And even if he does any work for DC, that doesn't mean he would necessarily sign an exclusivity agreement with DC.)

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

i will consider bendis moving over to DC a boon for marvel if, in an effort to retain and attract talent, editorial no longer mandates books to tie-in to whatever company crossover is currently going on. just *imagine* a place where creative people are allowed to be creative without needless interference.

but i dream.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I wouldn't mind Remender going back to Marvel. He's not one of my favourites but he's done some fairly enjoyable comics over the years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I loved Remender's Marvel work (well, most of it) but I don't think going back would be good for him or for Marvel. He did his time and it was clear by the time he left that his heart was now towards doing his own creator owned work.
    Perhaps, though I feel like he said he was "taking a break" which always gave me hope he would be back. Besides, with Black Science coming to an end he might have a little more time on his hands!

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Same here, his Uncanny X-Force stuff was good, but stuff like Uncanny Avengers, AXIS and Cap were very poor
    I think his good Marvel work far outweighs his bad. UXF, Venom, Punisher, Doctor Voodoo, Secret Avengers and Rage of Ultron were all great. To be honest, I havent fully read his Cap run or any of Uncanny Avengers but didn't they go to **** when Axis was forced upon him?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I wouldn't mind Remender going back to Marvel. He's not one of my favourites but he's done some fairly enjoyable comics over the years IMO.
    I always liked Remender whilst he was at Marvel but he has cemented himself as my favourite since going creator owned. What I wouldn't give for a Remender Deadpool or Fantastic Four.