Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

She was awesome as Dutch on "Killjoys." My initial thought was that she's better than this considering the character is mostly just known for wearing a metal bikini, but after my initial prejudices, I'm sure the filmmakers have more in mind and I hope it's successful for her sake.

Too bad we never got to see the Robert Rodriguez/Rose McGowan film they had wanted to make - that could have been fun. Another Rose that I think could have been a good choice is Rose Leslie - she was almost playing Red Sonja already on Game of Thrones - just with more clothes.

She does have the movement skills to pull off the fighting.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Gail Simone is an advisor on the film as well apparently.

Sounds like a decent casting choice. Wonder how they're going to handle the bikini question.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sounds like a decent casting choice. Wonder how they're going to handle the bikini question.
    Maybe there won't be one

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Really? Why just her?
    Once I thought of her in the role she seemed so perfect I just couldn't picture anyone else. I'm not enough of a fan of the franchise that any other casting choice would mean much to me. If I hear ringingly good reviews I might see the movie, but it's not on my Hotly Anticipated list.

There isn't going to be any chainmail bikini. It's a look that works in the comics but would seem ridiculous in the movies. And the filmmakers would catch holy hell for sexualizing her. (Despite the fact that she's never been anything BUT sexualized since the day she was created.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Natural red hair in non-biracial Africans is fairly common.

Malcolm X was a red head. His nickname was "Red" even.
    Malcolm X's mother was biracial woman born in Grenada in the British West Indies
    Malcolm X's maternal grandfather's ancestry was Scottish.

MALCOLM X's MOTHER, FATHER, FAMILY BACKGROUND: THE FACTS
    X was born Malcolm Little on May 19, 1925, in Omaha Nebraska. He was the fourth of seven children. His father, Reverend Earl Little, was an African American Baptist minister from Reynolds, Georgia. His mother, Louise Little, was born in Grenada in the British West Indies. Her background was very different from her husband's. She was an educated woman of mixed heritage. Her father was white, and so she was light-skinned. She “looked like a white woman”, Malcolm recalled in his autobiography. “She had straight black hair, and her accent did not sound like a Negro’s”.
    MALCOLM'S BEAUTY BIO
    Malcolm inherited much of his mother’s complexion. His skin was the lightest of all seven children. As a result, as a child he believed that he was treated better by his father, and escaped many of the routine beatings suffered by his siblings. X also inherited a reddish tone, in both his skin and hair, from his white grandfather’s side, which later earned him the nickname “Detroit Red”. The civil rights leader's mother’s partial white ancestry was a sore point within the family. She had never met her father, and was ashamed of her link to him. Malcolm himself came to resent the genetic legacy that had awarded him his light skin and red hair. “I learned to hate every drop of that white rapist’s blood that is in me,” he said.
    https://www.arogundade.com/malcolm-x...ackground.html

Most African Americans are part European. The average African American is around a quarter European.

Hannah is not even that dark. She's a bit lighter than I am. I have light brown skin with golden overtone. You can say that I have a tan complexion
    I am multi-generational mixed-race American with a little over half Sub-Saharan African ancestry, a little less than half European, and a little bit of Amerindian.
    My Louisianan father was African American with some English and Acadian ancestry on his mother's side. I was told that my paternal grandfather had ancestral roots in Jamaica.

My Californian mother is an American of mostly European ancestry with some Sub-Saharan African and Amerindian ancestry.
    Her father was of Cape Verdean, Madeiran, and Puerto Rican ancestry.
    Her mother was of Ashkenazi Jewish, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, and Frisian ancestry.
    I have Amerindian segments on both my paternal and maternal chromosomes.
    The average Puerto Rican is part Taino, and so I believe that my maternal Amerindian is Taino.
    I don't know about my paternal Amerindian.

I read that Hannah is the daughter of a Nigerian man and a Norwegian woman.

Nigerian is a bit vague though.
    Nigeria has over 200 ethnic groups.
    Africa is an extremely diverse continent with thousands of ethnic groups.
    Nigerian is in my own ethnicity estimates at DNA companies.
    Nigerian makes up a lot of the SubSaharan African in African Americans

My mother has a paternal halfsister who is dark as I am, and she has auburn hair.
    This maternal aunt of mine has an auburn-haired daughter whose father was African American, and she's a bit darker than I am.
    Last edited by Starrius; 05-05-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    There isn't going to be any chainmail bikini. It's a look that works in the comics but would seem ridiculous in the movies. And the filmmakers would catch holy hell for sexualizing her. (Despite the fact that she's never been anything BUT sexualized since the day she was created.)
    I guess it would depend on what kind of tone they go for.

Ultimate Member

She may have always been, but that doesn't mean things won't change

That would be for the best. (Unlike Lara Croft, I'm honestly not sure the original look can be "reclaimed," "justified," or however you want to put it.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

In the 80's live action movie with Brigitte Nielsen she was still sexy but she wore "normal" clothes. They'll probably do the same this time.

Extraordinary Member

But didn't we just get a Tarzan movie with a dude running around in a speedo? lol. How did bikinis become so controversial? It's weird how male nudity is so much more accepted in this society.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    But didn't we just get a Tarzan movie with a dude running around in a speedo? lol. How did bikinis become so controversial? It's weird how male nudity is so much more accepted in this society.
    It isn't. Male nudity in film and t.v. is still far less common. Look at the controversy over Chris Pine showing his penis in Outlaw King.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Because for years men controlled most of the film industry and portrayed women in sexualized ways, while men in minimal clothing were always just showing off muscles

Astonishing Member

Hope for the best but I don’t have much expectations either way.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.