Page 700 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 200600650690696697698699700701702703704710750800 ... LastLast
Results 10,486 to 10,500 of 17378

There is a hardcover of A.W.???
    I had no idea. I have it in TPB.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Tpb? That's no way to collect Asgardian Wars!

I got mine via Amazon Bargain Books three years ago. They were giving them away.

I just wish the interior coloring was re-mastered like the cover was, but then the "purists" would've been up in arms...

Spectacular Member

Eh, I kind of think the X-Men themselves look better in 1988 color - but not the sickly yellow on the whole left side.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Have to chime in on this ; ripping out the endpaper is a huge mistake. The text block will separate from the boards and you're left with a disaster that cannot be fixed with just glue. I hope the poster has not done this since the best solution would require new endpapers (thicker than stock paper) to be glued to the boards and last page which will alter your book permanently and it may not sit right on the table or shelf afterward.
    This is what we are looking at guys, I don't think I did what you feared

unnamed.jpg

And I'm surprised nobody else had the issue with the posters creasing the other extras pages. Those things are bulky and press against the other pages, so they will never be flat.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Tpb? That's no way to collect Asgardian Wars!
    I know, RIGHT?!
    I feel like I committed a crime.
    sheesh. I need that hardcover asap!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    I don't understand people who don't take care of their books either. In this era, I can understand people abusing their ipads, tablets and phones (they upgrade after 1-2 yrs) but some of the books I've seen which have suffered abuse from library patrons was boiling point infuriating. I've seen everything from teeth marks on a Criminal Deluxe edition v.1 to a Brubaker Cap omni that looked like it was drop kicked down a stairway with irreparable damage to the boards. Ripped pages are also a big peeve. A damaged dust jacket is par for the course when it comes to either used books or library volumes.
    Well, this is your problem - you expect library books to be kept nice. When you don't OWN something and you're borrowing it for FREE from a library, you're not going to care if you accidentally drop the book, spill soda on it, let your dog or baby gnaw on it (though you probably don't want your baby gnawing on it), etc. Sure, people with some decency will try not to damage the library books, but a lot of people simply don't give a fuck. Especially if you're talking graphic novels which are probably primarily pulled from library collections by tween to young adult males, who certainly aren't going to handle the books with white gloves on. Plenty of people of all types are going to treat the library books incredibly rough.

It sucks for the library because that dramatically reduces the lifespan of the book. But otherwise, as long as it is still readable, who cares? The point is for you to be able to check out a relatively clean/stable copy of a book to READ, not to collect. If the damage is so much that the book is actually unreadable or just completely unsanitary, then obviously that's a problem.

And if you're buying ex-library books for your own collection, they've probably already been stamped and had things glued to them or been otherwise modified - additional damage is just par for the course at that point. You can't honestly expect to have a fresh looking collectible book at that point. But they can make cheap options to get rarer books or just to build up your own collection for reading at home if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on new or high grade condition used books.

The other thing is sometimes damage isn't the fault of the person selling the book. I've bought hundreds of used books over the internet from a particular internet retailer and this retailer doesn't not care how they ship the books. As a result, books that I'm certain were in great shape or maybe even like new have arrived absolutely ravaged. I usually get a refund on those and sometimes don't have to return them. I don't want them for my collection so I sell them into the wild for relatively cheap. So my point is, I wasn't throwing a deluxe hardcover down the stairs - an idiot retailer saw it fit to send me one in a thin paper mailer with no protection that ripped during transit and damaged the book.

Uncanny Avengers cover comparison...

IMG_20150206_173106.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Uh, I'll echo the previous question and ask why the F not? It's seriously one of my favorite mutant stories, right up there with Phoenix Saga, with some of the best art as well. It's essential.
    I've read the thing before and enjoyed it but never felt compelled to read it again. The art is incredible though!
    You're making me want to go back to the store and buy it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    You're making me want to go back to the store and buy it now!
    Do it. Right now.

BANNED

Do it. Right now.
    unfortunately, its 1am and closed

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Well, this is your problem - you expect library books to be kept nice. When you don't OWN something and you're borrowing it for FREE from a library, you're not going to care if you accidentally drop the book, spill soda on it, let your dog or baby gnaw on it (though you probably don't want your baby gnawing on it), etc. Sure, people with some decency will try not to damage the library books, but a lot of people simply don't give a fuck. Especially if you're talking graphic novels which are probably primarily pulled from library collections by tween to young adult males, who certainly aren't going to handle the books with white gloves on. Plenty of people of all types are going to treat the library books incredibly rough.

It sucks for the library because that dramatically reduces the lifespan of the book. But otherwise, as long as it is still readable, who cares? The point is for you to be able to check out a relatively clean/stable copy of a book to READ, not to collect. If the damage is so much that the book is actually unreadable or just completely unsanitary, then obviously that's a problem.

And if you're buying ex-library books for your own collection, they've probably already been stamped and had things glued to them or been otherwise modified - additional damage is just par for the course at that point. You can't honestly expect to have a fresh looking collectible book at that point. But they can make cheap options to get rarer books or just to build up your own collection for reading at home if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on new or high grade condition used books.

The other thing is sometimes damage isn't the fault of the person selling the book. I've bought hundreds of used books over the internet from a particular internet retailer and this retailer doesn't not care how they ship the books. As a result, books that I'm certain were in great shape or maybe even like new have arrived absolutely ravaged. I usually get a refund on those and sometimes don't have to return them. I don't want them for my collection so I sell them into the wild for relatively cheap. So my point is, I wasn't throwing a deluxe hardcover down the stairs - an idiot retailer saw it fit to send me one in a thin paper mailer with no protection that ripped during transit and damaged the book.
    I'm overly careful with my own books and treat others the same way. Even when I was a kid using primary school books I was always careful. Unfortunately for some of my friends who express an interest in some books I tell them about aren't ever reading them for free from me because I know some people don't have the same regard

Incredible Member

My own personal horror story with a disrespected book was with my iron man 1 omni. Got it on eBay for cover so I was thinking good score flipped through it to check for any page tears or creases looked good. When I got to it in my back log a couple of months later turn to the table of contents previous owner neglected to disclose the writing in pen they had put on the table of contents and on the Stan Lee introduction pages. Why would one do that? Wish I would have seen it in time to return it now I have to eventually get a new copy and prices have climbed since then. I now give a much more thorough look over when I get a new to me book.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post

My point was that in the "digital era" , ALL physical media is becoming either more expensive and/or scarce, so abusing books whether they be your own, a friend's or borrowed from the library is not just inconsiderate but ridiculously stupid. There are some modern libraries which are shifting to lending digital tablets to borrowers for documents/books over the internet. The irony is that patrons will probably take more care of the $200 tablet than they would some "old book" which has long been OOP. That doesn't make sense but that's the asinine reasoning people accept nowadays.

My examples were from library books I've seen and though I don't own any library overstock books, the ones I've seen for sale were never dog-eared copies they were looking to sell off (those are usually sent to a bindery for repairs). There are many OOP books which most people aren't willing or able to spend hundreds of dollars to buy, so the library is the only option. How would you feel if the only copy of Brubaker Cap omnibus in your town looked like it fell 3 stories down onto a sharp hand rail?

If you are willing to accept the fact that people will 'always abuse library books' than you'll also have to accept the fact that buying an abused rare book either damaged by the owner/retailer or in shipping will increase in frequency as well. For the simple reason that more people just don't give a fuck.